Why become a member? ×

Bespoke pickups including covers - who makes them?

Osiris

[font=Calibri][size=2]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]I'd like to replace the Bartolini soapbar pickups in my Ibanez SR 1000 Prestige. While the Bart's sit brilliantly in the mix, I find the tone of them when playing the instrument without accompaniment to be pretty bland, so I'd like to change for something else, preferably a single coil or split coil humbucker (i.e. something closer to a traditional Jazz or Precision tone).[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=2]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Trouble is, it seems as though the pickups in my bass are not the standard size as most of the other Bartolini models, they are slightly taller and a little narrower than the Bartolini BC pickups, which seem to be their standard size. I've no idea what the actual model name/number of my pickups is, online they are only described as Bartolini 'custom' pickups.[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=2]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]I found this out at the weekend when I took the bass along to bass direct to try a pair of Nordstrand big splits - the Nord's were a mm or 2 wider, and another 2 or 3 mm shorter. So to fit a pair of big splits the pickup cavities would need to be slightly widened, and the new pickups would leave a noticeable gap top and/or bottom of the cavities. Unfortunately this can't even be hidden with a scratch plate as the bass doesn't have one.[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=2]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]So now I'm pondering the idea of getting some custom pickups made. These would almost certainly have to be housed in some custom made covers too - I had a look at the underbelly of the Bart's and while they don't appear to be glued into the cases, they have what look like plastic clips in each corner that stop the pickup guts from falling out of the covers. I'm loathed the start poking the clips with a screw driver just in case the covers split.[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=2]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]So, my question is, is there a manufacturer who could whip me up a pair of either single or split coil pups AND make some custom sized covers to house them in?[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Calibri][size=2]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]My preference would be for someone UK based so that I don't end up having to pay the import duty on them.[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Calibri][size=2]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Having looked online, there are numerous UK based bespoke pickup manufacturers about, although I can't find anyone that specifically mentions custom pickup covers.[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=2]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Any recommendations? [/size][/font][/size][/font]