Why become a member? ×

A jazzy Joni Mitchell cover

Hector

Did a session in a friend's kitchen recently. First track has the audio and video all edited together.

It's a cover of a Joni Mitchell song we all like. Our aim was to stay relatively true to the song at the start, and then go off the rails a bit in the middle section and have a bit of fun trying to play free jazz, then try to bring it home again at the end.

https://youtu.be/J-dP4wlsWG4

Would love to know what you guys think, enjoyed getting feedback last time I posted. Negative, positive, it's all useful :)

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1459896012' post='3020738']...Would love to know what you guys think...[/quote]

I think you (all...) pull it off very nicely. It so happens that Joni is one of my all time, all time favourites, across the board, and this particular song strikes resonant notes with me on a personal level, so I'd be rather uninclined to be generous if you balls it up. Well, you didn't. The intro gave me some qualms, but it [George Formby] "turned out nice again"...[George Formby], to my relief. Another preparation for shuddering when you go off into the 'Wizard of Oz-Dream Sequence', but, once again, it all hangs in (or is that 'out'..?) very well. A couple of quibbles, of course; you not all getting off entirely scot-free. The recording quality is pretty good for all but the poor old drums, which suffer badly from the all-too-old-school 'recorded in the kitchen with one mic' syndrome. A shame; it's out of kilter with the rest of you. On a purely technical, playing, note, I prefer that the hi-hat maintain the 'chip chip chip' back beat a bit more (but then again, I'm old...). The bass..? Oh yes,the bass. Holds it down nicely; could have been a touch more adventurous, whilst keeping to the spirit, I thought, but I don't know how long (if at all..?) you've been playing this number together. It seems as if you're erring on the side of caution; no bad thing. Could 'open up' a little in time. Nice keys, sensitive sax, discreet drums, all cladding over a solid timber-framed bass. Joni would have liked it, too, I'd wager (but I'm not a betting man...)
Thanks for sharing; congratulations offered to all involved, respect.

Thanks for the words chaps!

Technical info: zoom h6n with a mic for each instrument and some ambient room mics I think. All one take, no edits/overdubs. Moonbass, I'll ask Tim who was in charge of video, as I have no idea. We had a few gopros kicking around, but he also had some other gear that I didn't understand. At least one other camera.

Very perceptive Dad: we've played together three or four times, so we're still sounding each other out a bit. It's all pretty new!