Why become a member? ×

Has anyone compared a BF BB2 with a Vanderkley 115MN6?

dave_bass5

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1460149668' post='3023190']
You've only go tot listen to some of the solo'd big-name bass stuff out there on YT to hear that some bass tones that work very well in a live mix sound very harsh solo'd. Geddy and JE spring to mind instantly, but there are others.

[/quote]

Agree, even John Deacon & John Taylor have much harsher/grindier tones soloed than the in-the-mix sound would suggest.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1460151566' post='3023210']
Cheers. Yes but my issue isnt being able to get a good tone, it's getting the good tone I have out in to the room.
[/quote]

Yeah I get where your coming from, but a small boost of those frequencies may help your out front definition/punch, surely worth a try at least I would have thought.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1460148800' post='3023181']
Don't subscribe to this point of view at all, Dave. I get a tone I want to use and use it..
I spend all my time working on the tone for the style I'm using and once I get it that is the sound I use at a gig.
The sound..to me, is pleasing solo'd and works in the mix and band context.
[/quote]

It could be that a sound that you personally like when solo'd happens to be one that also projects well in the mix, perhaps your relatively experienced ears arn't so easily seduced by the ear candy of a smiley face EQ or other sound/tone faux pas. Hence I thinks its entirely feasible that while this isn't an issue for you, it is for others who have less experience and understanding of sound and band dynamics.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1460195663' post='3023405']

Yeah I get where your coming from, but a small boost of those frequencies may help your out front definition/punch, surely worth a try at least I would have thought.
[/quote] I have done that already but I do admit I can spend a bit more time on it. The only thing I don't want to do is change the tone too much. As I'm standing faily close that's the tone I want, adding more high mid will make things a bit too harsh IME.

Edited by dave_bass5

Anyway, I really did want to talk about the Vanderkley if anyone has one. I started a thread last year about getting a 1x15 and ended up with BF. The 15MN6 was recommended to me a few times, and I just want to get that out of my system really.
The BB2 issue I posted about wasn't really meant to be the topic, this is really not the reason I'm looking at the 1x15.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1460161499' post='3023264']
Agree, even John Deacon & John Taylor have much harsher/grindier tones soloed than the in-the-mix sound would suggest.
[/quote]

Gawd only knows what JJB's tone sounds like solo'd...it'd probably kill small animals stone dead... :D

Edited by Muzz

• 1 month later...

Well just a qucik update. After taking the advice in this thread i have been getting on with the BB2 a bit better, but its still not for me. Its the unevenness of the output im struggling with. While the low notes/E sting have loads of heft to them sometimes its too over powering, yet at the same time the upper strings are getting lost.
This being the case its now in the process of being passed on, and im about to order a Vanderkley 15MN6. Lets see how this goes.
Im in no doubt the BB2 is a great cab, but i cant help feel if i was playing finger style only i would have got on more with it.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463351935' post='3050744']
Well just a qucik update. After taking the advice in this thread i have been getting on with the BB2 a bit better, but its still not for me. Its the unevenness of the output im struggling with. While the low notes/E sting have loads of heft to them sometimes its too over powering, yet at the same time the upper strings are getting lost.
[/quote]

Might be worth slightly raising the pickup ends under the top strings (and lowering the end under the low strings), pretty much every bass I've ever tried has unbalanced output across the strings and I end up making this adjustment.

I like the look of that 15/6 Vanderkley .. would certainly appreciate a review once you've had chance to see how it performs, I've a DIY 15/6 am pleasantly surprised by it, so curious to hear a proper pro made one :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463351935' post='3050744']Well just a qucik update. After taking the advice in this thread i have been getting on with the BB2 a bit better, but its still not for me. Its the unevenness of the output im struggling with. While the low notes/E sting have loads of heft to them sometimes its too over powering, yet at the same time the upper strings are getting lost.[/quote]

That's a bass set-up issue - the pickups need balancing. I might have put this in one of our older manuals but I see it isn't in the current one. If you're having that problem through the cab you'll have the same problem when DI'd through the FOH or when recording.

A lot of bassists will adjust their pickup balance through a little practice amp or at home practice volume. If you do that you're likely to end up with the low strings too loud and the high strings too quiet once you're at gig loudness - I do the main adjustment at home and then take a screwdriver to rehearsal/gig for fine tuning. You may need to do this whenever you change the brand/type/gauge of your strings and you'll always need to do this with a new bass or if you've adjusted your action or set-up significantly.

Thanks for all the help Alex (and others). Ive done all that (and other things suggested). Its not a set up issue at the bass end, as im finding similar results with ym other basses. Ive been using the BB2 regularly since i got it and never at home. Its not just the E string, certain freqs seem louder than others. The open E is quite soft compared ot fretted G, im aware of why that is. Sometimes i know its the room not working well but most cabs suffer from that so i wouldnt blame the cab.
I dont have this issue using the studio cabs, nor going through our PA (although its a small PA and i just go through it for a bit of support)

I have the pup set up correctly, but its not just the one bass im struggling with.

I think the bottom line is that its just not for me. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Ok, just got back from a rehearsal with my new Vanderkley 15MN6. To answer the question I posted at the start of this thread, very favourably and is a winner in my book.

Same room, same bass, same head, same everything as it is every week. Tonight was very different though. Every note had a body to it that I've not heard in a long time. Standing in my usual place I was getting leg punishing punch. Never over the top, just right. I had none of the issues I've been speaking about, although there is less low end from this cab. I think this is the key.
From low E up to the top, none of the notes really stood out. They were all even and to my ears, had that finger style punch, warm and round, and this was with a pick. Switching to finger style on a few numbers and I didn't find I had to adjust the amp at all. I can't say the same about the BB2.

Ok, so all the above is subjective, and only based on 2 hours in a rehearsal room, but considering I've been struggling in this room for months I know I've made the right choice.
My BB2 has gone, and I will miss it, but it just wasn't for me.

This is very interesting. My Orange cabs are now (almost) sold, apart from the 1x15 being picked up.

I'll miss them in a way, more so the 1x15, but I just don't use them. They sound great but they are awkward.

The Vanderkley is cheaper than I anticipated, considering Mesa Boogie now charge more for a 1x12 and Aguilar charge an extortionate £739 for a 1x12.

What is the weight on it Dave? I've seen two different weights. Does the 6" have a control? How is the high end?

Cheers Gary. Yeah, very happy.....so far. I hope you will be as well.

Gareth. Im not sure what the weight is, i presume its what they state on the website. It certainly looks heavier than it is. I carried up 3 floors last night with my bass on my back and didnt break out in a sweat. Even our shopping bags are heavier.

I do like the side handles. I understand why the BB2 has just the one on the top, but i found i tended to swing it about a bit when carrying it, and that made it a bit more cumbersome (for me) getting it through narrow door ways. Again, its just a preference thing and not a negative against the BB2 as such.

The 6" does have a control knob. To be honest i didnt find the 6" anywhere near as effective as on the BB2. It seemed to effect the very top end only. For what im using the cab it for i dont think its going to make a huge difference if its on or off. I could hear it when i did a bit of slap and pop, and it does allow the attack from my pick to come through a bit clearer, but overall the tone is warmer than the BB2. and for me that works well. Its been years since i had a 1x15. I know people say the size shouldn't make a difference these days, but the overall package suits me better.

Gareth. It's says 20kg on the box. Can't confirm this to be the correct weight of the cab though. Seems close enough though.

A quick phone pic.

[url=https://davepearce.smugmug.com/Gear/Music-gear/i-G5JPJCj/A][/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463394060' post='3050913']
Thanks for all the help Alex (and others). Ive done all that (and other things suggested). Its not a set up issue at the bass end, as im finding similar results with ym other basses. Ive been using the BB2 regularly since i got it and never at home. Its not just the E string, certain freqs seem louder than others. The open E is quite soft compared ot fretted G, im aware of why that is. Sometimes i know its the room not working well but most cabs suffer from that so i wouldnt blame the cab.
I dont have this issue using the studio cabs, nor going through our PA (although its a small PA and i just go through it for a bit of support)

I have the pup set up correctly, but its not just the one bass im struggling with.

I think the bottom line is that its just not for me. Nothing wrong with it at all.
[/quote] I've had exactly the same problem with the super compacts , But I resolved it by changing string gauge from 45-105 to 40-100 .

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463394060' post='3050913']

[/quote]

I too have found this in some amp and cab combinations and it was definitely not a setup issue as I tried adjusting the pu heights, changing strings etc. Seems to me some amp and cabs really can make some frequencies louder or at least seem louder.

Yes, that's what I think. My Markbass F1 seemed to pair up a bit better, but I got bored with the MB tone. It still wasn't ideal though.
The GK does seem to be more pokey and has a bigger low end, so I can see it's not all the cab, but after using various cabs with this head I knew it wasn't a set up issue.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Barefaced used to recommend the GK MB heads to pair with their cabs. Could be wrong though.

Glad to see the change has worked out for you - that's a really smart looking cab too. I love how everyone's tastes vary so much; so many people would say you were wrong for changing the cab but doing so has been the right thing for you!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463680631' post='3053361']
Gareth. It's says 20kg on the box. Can't confirm this to be the correct weight of the cab though. Seems close enough though.

A quick phone pic.

[url="https://davepearce.smugmug.com/Gear/Music-gear/i-G5JPJCj/A"][/url]
[/quote]

Always thought Vanderkley stuff looked great... that is a pretty cab.

I'm not a fan of cabinets that extend really low into deep bass. I'm probably just not used to it; most the cabs I seem to play around with are no doubt designed for a more low mid kick with tighter bass.

I tend to find really deep bass sounds great when you play E and lower (especially on a 5 string) but then some of the notes seem thin. Just not my cup of tea for a bass sound....but then again it'd be boring if we all liked the same thing.

Don't think string gauges should be fiddled with just to fit a cabinet....gauge doesn't make THAT much difference IMO.

Cheers Guys.

Yes, the change has been the right thing to do, and its a lovely cab. Very well put together. Its got its first gig this Sat but unfortunately its just a small local club with a small hollow stage. Saying that, i do believe it will again work better as it lacks the low end the BB2 has.

Gareth. im pretty much in 100% agreement with your comments. I too thought i would just need to get used to hearing real low end, but after so many months things haven't improved, to the point that the cab was in some ways dictating how and what i play. now i can play confidently on the E string again.

We have had other bass players sit around at rehearsal over the months, and some have loved the tone, others we rent too keen. So yes, its great that we have a choice.