Why become a member? ×

OH NO !!!!!!! Whats that burning smell ??????

weepaul

Go tback alot of gear thats been in storage for awhile. Plugged it all in, working O.K. ( some hum), so turn it off. Then, a strange couple of pops then a burning smell from the cab !!!!! Hooked up another head and it seems to work fine, but one of the speakers is now distorting :unsure: . Any ideas ?

Voice coil or crossover.

If its the voicecoil the speaker will need reconing or replacing - reconing isn't something you can do cheaply or effectively at home, especially if you've not done it before.

If its the crossover then you might be able to get it fixed easily, or do it yourself if you can handle a soldering iron.

Something that might give you a clue is to remove the front speaker grille(s) and lay the cab on its back.

Gently, push the cone(s) back using the palm of you hand.

They should depress smoothly (no grating noises) and spring back to their original position when you release the pressure - if its blown then it will grate like sandpaper.

If the cones feel ok then release one of the speakers (so you can get inside the cab) and look for burnt components on the crossover circuit board.

hth

Whatever made that speaker go duff could well do the same for any other speakers in, potentially, the same condition. I'd not count on the original, new, power handling specification to be a certainty, and treat the whole cab as doubtful until it's had a chance to prove itself. Be prepared for further 'surprises', perhaps..?

Checked the speaker again, pressing it in there is a slight scratchiness. Plugged in, it;s distorting lightly, you could get away with it at a gig.
But, stuff like that annoys me and i don't want to run the risk of further damage to the other speakers. I assume over time it will get worse.

• 1 month later...