Why become a member? ×

Rockabilly Slap blisters

lowlandtrees

Any slappers on the forum have tricks to avoid blisters? Apart from practising every day. Started to feel them appear at the last practice and stuck some tape on but it just ain t the same......or do you practice with tape on?
I thought that maybe some kind of moisturiser or something ? Don t want to get blisters an blood in the middle of my first R/B gig....not cool

I don't slap so I can only draw a similarity to me EB playing when I return to N Manchester for a weekend and play a few gigs with a few practises in the afternoon and get blisters (becoming blood blisters) on the tips of my fingers. I hate playing plectrum with a passion, but accept I must sometimes play the practise sessions with a plectrum, keeping it in my pocket on a gig just in case, but play the gigs fingerstyle.

Perhaps do the same with tape for the practise sessions saving just enough skin for the gig?

I use super glue when the blisters are on the way. Put a blob on a piece of paper and rub the area which will blister into it. It last for about 3 hours of "normal" playing, prob a bit less on slapping. It has saved me from blisters many, many times.

What strings are you using ?
If you're using steels then tape every time.
Nylon or guts & you will build up calluses eventually,so keep on practicing.
I have used tape when necessary but I don't like it either,mind I have just gritted my teeth & played on blisters before,well until they burst.
Blood splats on my blonde bass isn't a good look & it bloody well hurt too,not recommend.
Also don't play too hard,you don't really need to play hard to get a nice slap,try using just enough force to get the sound you are trying to achieve.,(if that makes sense).

Edited by artisan

Thanks. I use Innovation Silver Slaps. I don t play hard when practising and get the sound but you know what happens when you play with other folk! I want to practice every day so really don t want to blister. I imagine that if you injure ur fingertips that you are out for a couple of weeks?

I've just switched from plain guts back innovation golden slaps,so same strings as you.
Yes if you injure your fingers you knackered for a while,took me a few weeks to recover fully.
It's very easy to get carried away once you get gigging but try to pace yourself & use as little energy as possible when playing,otherwise you'll be a spent force well before the gig is over.
This I know from experience :)

Thanks. I have been in bands in the past playing other instruments including normal DB but the slapping thing is challenging from the aspect of the damage that it could cause to your fingers and the fact that when nervous you tense up and the slap goes to mince. Will be interesting. Think that we are doing a couple of plug and play open mic things before gigging

Just to update on my first public slap bass appearance. I used tape on the one finger and it felt OK but I played the sloppiest sh*tey bass ever. Only the guitarist noticed, The audience were drunker than a drunk that has been drunk his entire life. We did a 3 hour practice then played.....mistake....I was knackered

My '2 cents' worth regarding blisters. In my earlier years I tried tape---did'nt feel right. Bare fingers is the way to go for tone & volume. Go through the pain barrier of blisters and blood blisters. After a while--[b]quite a while[/b]--the tips of the fingers harden up and no pain, When did you see a good pro. D/B player with plasters? Well worth the effort. One disadvantage though---very difficult to do up shirt buttons!

A surprising amount is down to your state of mind I reckon (note - I am not a hippie).
I only get blisters occasionally - yes if I've not played for a long time, but also sometimes totally unexpectedly. It's when I get nervous, tense, sweaty (more than normal), grip too hard, work too hard ... If you're relaxed, your tone is good, you're not fighting to be heard ... you're much less likely to blister.

Permanent callouses are a must. My biggest is on 3rd finger left hand, which is odd seeing as that should be the LEAST used finger. Technique? pah.

Edited by PaulKing