Why become a member? ×

NSD: New Synth Day

bartelby

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1478696121' post='3170984']
I do not have the answer to this, but now you ask, I do remember that in music college there were enough of people who could not invent new music or new sounds in their heads.
I have no idea whether they were just untrained or whether they lacked some basic ability, but in general a lot of stuff can be learned - even when people think they can't learn it.

As to synths and acquiring the ability to imagine a sound and build it, I think one is helped a lot by traditional subtractive synthesis and knobby hardware and [b]a lot of time[/b] playing and experimenting, consciously looking for the answer to the eternal question "why the Hull does it sound like that".

The MiniBrute is a great example for this, as it has many knobs and sliders for such a tiny synth, and a relaxing lack of bewildering routing switches. Later, one can use its connectivity and get to the wilder stuff.
[/quote]
That was one of the reasons I opted for the MiniBrute - a lack of memory slots means I can be more creative

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1478696121' post='3170984']
I do not have the answer to this, but now you ask, I do remember that in music college there were enough of people who could not invent new music or new sounds in their heads.
I have no idea whether they were just untrained or whether they lacked some basic ability, but in general a lot of stuff can be learned - even when people think they can't learn it.[/quote]

Really not sure. Been a musician for 25+ years, my brain just doesn't work that way (it's not the only blind spot I have and I know that I have wonky wiring), but stick a guitar in my hands/etc and I'll make stuff up all day! :)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1478696121' post='3170984']As to synths and acquiring the ability to imagine a sound and build it, I think one is helped a lot by traditional subtractive synthesis and knobby hardware and [b]a lot of time[/b] playing and experimenting, consciously looking for the answer to the eternal question "why the Hull does it sound like that".[/quote]

Definitely agree. The Mood Sub 37 is fantastic in this respect: >70 controls on the front panel so tactile (my problem with soft synths) and very little menu diving. It's very easy to build patches, but not a cheap piece of equipment.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1478696121' post='3170984']The MiniBrute is a great example for this, as it has many knobs and sliders for such a tiny synth, and a relaxing lack of bewildering routing switches. Later, one can use its connectivity and get to the wilder stuff.[/quote]

I really like my MicroBrute. Very hands on but simpler than the Moog, no patch saving, but also the ability to hook it up to 1v/octave Eurorack compatible equipment. Missing the 2nd envelope and arpeggiator compared to the Mini, but with more routing options.

Edited by hairychris

• 3 weeks later...