Why become a member? ×

Incoming: Source Audio Aftershock Bass Distortion

dannybuoy

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1464772844' post='3062311']
So, has anybody here got their hands on an Aftershock yet? I pre ordered mine six weeks ago but I'm still waiting for it. I just checked online and Thomann and DV247 are showing them in stock at the moment.
[/quote]

Nope, I last asked Bass Direct a couple of weeks ago and they said "any day now!". Pretty poor show. If Thomann/DV247 were the same price I would have cancelled and re-ordered by now - Gear4Music has it for £120 but they say not until the 9th of June.

With hindsight I wish I hadn't pre ordered. BD have answered both my emails in the past month but haven't actually given me any firm information in either response. I just phoned them and got pretty much the same answer 'they're on the way but we don't know when they'll be here'. Finger on the pulse there or what eh.

I finally got delivery of mine today. I've had an hour on it and so far I really like it. There are so many parameters in the Neuro app to mess with, but I've found that getting a good basic sound comes down to the basics of drive, blend & volume. So using it without the app would work fine if you were happy just to have the stock 3 sounds. But getting into the app does open up a world of tweaking and lots of other distortion models. I haven't found a bad model in it yet. The app EQs do work well for fine tuning too. So far so good, looking forward to this weekends gigs to hear it at proper volume levels.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the Aftershock for 10 days now and I'm learning more about it every time I fire it up. After the initial euphoria I had a few hours messing about with the PC editor - the damned thing just annoyed me, a lot. I found this editor to be a pain in the @rse. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Neuro app and the PC editor can talk to each other. Maybe I missed something here though. I'm sticking with the Neuro app now. I have the Aftershock (and a Lunar phaser, which does phase/chorus/flange) hooked up to a Neuro Hub and a One Control Gecko Mk2 (MIDI switcher), with my expression pedal plugged into the Neuro Hub.
The way it's working best for me is to use the app to tweak a sound, burn it to one of the presets on the pedal, then save it as a preset on the Hub & Gecko. Then I can tweak the relevant Aftershock knob to find the min & max levels for whatever parameter I want to control with the expression pedal, and get that added into the Hub & Gecko patches. Once I got going it didn't take long to get all this done really fast and what initially seemed to be a time consuming task is now pretty easy. On the Aftershock I'm using my exp pedal for volume, treble & blend duties. I haven't yet used it for mid boosts, wet levels and the various other parameters the app lets you assign to two of the knobs on the front of the pedal. All in good time.
When I save patches on the Hub & Gecko I'm saving sounds on both the Aftershock and the Lunar (the same process apples to both pedals). At the moment I'm not planning on using them both at the same time and they're in different signal paths on my board, but for each MIDI preset I create I now have two pedals programmed with sounds and exp pedal settings. Sweet.
I quickly realised that the Aftershock will never challenge my favourite dirt pedals, they are just too good, and they aren't going anywhere in a hurry. But with MIDI switching the Aftershock can do a whole lot of other dirt sounds (including parallel distortions, very cool!) clean/dirty boost, EQ changes, the list goes on. It's really versatile. You just have to put the time in to get to know it. For what it's worth, I liked the B3K model although it's been a while since I last played one myself so someone else can have the final word on that.
If you buy an Aftershock just for the 3 factory sounds you won't be disappointed, they're worth the asking price alone. If you are into lots of tweaking then this pedal with the app/editor might also suit you, the hours literally fly by though, be warned.

Edited by ratman

I gigged the Aftershock this weekend and it sounded really good. I expected it to be ok but I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it just slotted in along side my analogue pedals. The Muff and Rat models sounded great at gig volume.

• 3 weeks later...

The app and the PC editor do exactly the same thing. You can change patches using the app, but you won't be doing seamless patch changes whilst still playing, it'd be inbetween songs - you need to tap 3 on-screen buttons to choose a new patch and send it to the pedal. Of course, you can save your 3 favourites to presets and recall them by flicking the toggle switch.

I had a tube screamer type pedal with a mid scooped EQ pedal, blended about 50/50 with a fuzz and EQ pedal to do the opposite, so I had a very light TS style OD on the lows and highs, but fuzz on the mids. But yeh, two dirt pedals, two EQ pedals, and an LS-2, just for one sound is a bit much.

Well, I'm certainly hanging onto it a little longer, I got some awesome high gain sounds out of it running the Bass Muff in parallel with one of the Darkglass models! None of the stock presets float my boat and I was overwhelmed at first with the number settings, so I hadn't played with the app much before now.