Why become a member? ×

Basschat Noodle Bar - APRIL

Skol303

[size=4][size=6][b]Welcome to the Basschat Noodle Bar™! [/b][/size][/size]

[size=4]The rules are simple:[/size][list]
[*][b]Record yourself playing bass for up to 60 seconds[/b]. You can record whatever the heck you like: an original riff or lick; something from your band’s own repertoire; or a well-known piece you’re currently practicing. Doesn’t matter what. Just record something.
[/list][list]
[*][b]Make sure it’s bass only: no other instruments[/b]. FX and pedals are allowed, including loopers. Simple click tracks and metronomes are equally fine and dandy. Just no backing tracks, MIDI, loops or other samples.
[/list][list]
[*][b]Upload your recording to [url="https://soundcloud.com/"]SoundCloud[/url][/b], YouTube or another music-sharing platform of your choice. Once you’re finished, post the link to your recording in this thread. Job done!
[/list]
[size=4]IMPORTANTLY… don’t worry about the quality of your recording. If you don’t have any recording equipment, simply plonk a mobile phone in front of your speaker cab and hit record. Easy peasy.

[color=#800000][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is Saturday 30th April.[/b][/size][/color]

We’ll then run a vote on everyone’s favourite contributions - and the winner will be added to the prestigious [/size][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/280646-basschat-noodle-bar-hall-of-fame/"][size=4]Noodle [/size]Bar Hall of Fame![/url]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1460248294' post='3024079']... I really would like to mic a cab decently! At some point. However I would surely pick up the fan noise right?
[/quote]

Duff joke n° 1 : "Your cab has a fan..?"

Duff joke n° 2 : "If you can hear the fan, you're not playing loud enough..!"

Duff joke n° 3 : "A bass player..? With fans..?"

Duff joke n° 4 : ... Nah, sod it, that's yer lot...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1460277153' post='3024181']
I have a bass line so damned cool my amp's gonna need a heater
[/quote]

Great stuff... Think I'm going to subject you all to a bit of slap this month!

Anyway where is Agwin's noodle, this thread has been up for 24 hours already?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460248682' post='3024084']

Duff joke n° 1 : "Your cab has a fan..?"

Duff joke n° 2 : "If you can hear the fan, you're not playing loud enough..!"

Duff joke n° 3 : "A bass player..? With fans..?"

Duff joke n° 4 : ... Nah, sod it, that's yer lot...
[/quote]

Haha! :D

Still smiling from the sheer joy conveyed in CamdenRob’s winning noodle from last month.

So here we go – sorry I’ve been a bit tardy this month. ;)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/agwin/the-great-sun-april-noodle"]https://soundcloud.c...un-april-noodle[/url]

After being inspired by the harmonics ringing out in previous noodles I let chime forth a couple of my own.

These seemed to lead nicely into the bassline to the chorus of one of our original (still a work in progress) tunes - The Great Sun - and back out again into noodletime.

Enjoy (or not – the choice is yours)

78 Precision, Picato Light Gauge roundwound strings direct into pc and Audacity

Edited by Agwin

and we're up and running with the usual strong start to another month of BCs finest fried and crispy solo bass offerings...

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1460315047' post='3024615']
[url="https://soundcloud.com/agwin/the-great-sun-april-noodle"]https://soundcloud.c...un-april-noodle[/url]
[/quote]

A definite three parter this one... Ambient beginning to lure us all into a false sense of security before a flamboyant widdle any of maidens three guitarists would be proud of... and a very pleasant tuneful classical guitar esq bit to finish.

I like the way that the flowing softer part at the end comes out of the more frantic passage that precedes it... that solo section gives the ending more impact as it's such a contrast... :)

... onward noodlers

Edited by CamdenRob

I have some rules questions.
First, if i use a looper, do i have to set up/record the loop within the 60 seconds, or can i cut down the audio in post so that i don't have 20 seconds of setup at the start? I would upload the longer version alongside so its clear im doing it all in 1 take.
Second, Can i use a bass to midi converter (like a sonuus B2M) to trigger notes on something else (my gameboy)? i think how i want to put this is, do the notes that i play need to go through my pickups?
Third, My looper pedal doesn't have a click/metronome drum pattern, can i use the basic kick snare kick snare pattern for timekeeping? (i could turn it off after i've recorded the loop)

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1460392642' post='3025326']
First, if i use a looper, do i have to set up/record the loop within the 60 seconds, or can i cut down the audio in post so that i don't have 20 seconds of setup at the start? I would upload the longer version alongside so its clear im doing it all in 1 take.
Second, Can i use a bass to midi converter (like a sonuus B2M) to trigger notes on something else (my gameboy)? i think how i want to put this is, do the notes that i play need to go through my pickups?
Third, My looper pedal doesn't have a click/metronome drum pattern, can i use the basic kick snare kick snare pattern for timekeeping? (i could turn it off after i've recorded the loop)
[/quote]

Good questions!

In response:

1) If using a looper it's perfectly fine to edit the recording to the 60 seconds (or less) that you want to enter into the challenge. Similarly, it's fine to record a longer noodle and just cut out a section that you like.

2) Hmmm... this one's tricky. I like the idea - but for the time being let's stick to it being bass of the stringed variety rather than anything MIDI or synth-based. Instead, I'd maybe use the approach you suggest to enter something into the monthly Composition Challenge where innovative MIDI shenanigans are very welcome indeed :)

3) Of course! Perfectly fine. It's also ok to include a basic metronome or similar click track in your final recording if you like (eg. a hi hat pattern). Especially if you're playing something particularly rhythmic 'in the pocket'.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1460401294' post='3025457']
Good questions!

In response:

1) If using a looper it's perfectly fine to edit the recording to the 60 seconds (or less) that you want to enter into the challenge. Similarly, it's fine to record a longer noodle and just cut out a section that you like.

2) Hmmm... this one's tricky. I like the idea - but for the time being let's stick to it being bass of the stringed variety rather than anything MIDI or synth-based. Instead, I'd maybe use the approach you suggest to enter something into the monthly Composition Challenge where innovative MIDI shenanigans are very welcome indeed :)

3) Of course! Perfectly fine. It's also ok to include a basic metronome or similar click track in your final recording if you like (eg. a hi hat pattern). Especially if you're playing something particularly rhythmic 'in the pocket'.
[/quote]

Thanks for answering. I didn't really expect the answers to be yes to all of them, just wanted to see what i could/could not do.
Ill probably have something up tomorow.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1460413368' post='3025599']
Hang on a minute, I thought that looping or other forms of layering was NOT acceptable...
[/quote]

Well, it used to be accepted to conk ladies on the head and drag 'em into caves. It's called evolution, I think.

No, seriously, though, if some folks 'noodle' with loopers, I'd say that's still in the spirit of the thing. As long as the result is really sh*te as per the original concept, I'd say the 'no looper' rule could be relaxed, at least as a trial. If whole MIDI concertos start popping up disguised as 'noodles', there's still time to back-pedal and ban'em, ban'em fer good, and nail the culprits to their cab. Give it a try, I say; given enough rope they'll sure as heck hang themselves, won't they..?

Gents, a few thoughts on the looper thing...

I do a lot of composing with loopers myself, I'm a huge fan of layering up bass parts to create a complex composition, but I'm not convinced that it's really in the spirit of the noodle bar...

It's early days yet for the competition and it's still not fully defined what constitutes a noodle and what doesn't (it is also not my place to dictate the rules)... So far a number of noodlers have ended up using their minute for what essentially is a minute long solo bass composition, some on the other hand have posted up a single riff... None have submitted themselves playing smoke on the water a week after buying their first bass yet, but that would also be in the spirit of things.

I think using a looper, especially if not building up the loops within the minute, to create a complex layered composition would fall under the remit of the full blown compo comp as opposed to the noodle bar.

In my mind a noodle should be;

PRESS RECORD - PLAY BASS - PRESS STOP

Whether your doing that through a ton of high end recording gear, or plonking a phone in front of your cab doesn't matter.

The beauty for me is in the simplicity.

Edited by CamdenRob

It's a tough one. On one hand, everyone that enters the competition has a bass and a way to record it, so we have a level playing field. Not everyone has a looper or knows how to use one (I have a couple in multi-effects units but I have never used them).

The question is: is using a looper an unfair advantage?

To say that it is might imply that music made with a looper is fundamentally better than music made without, so it would garner more votes. And because music taste is so subjective, I don't think you can really say that.

But how do people choose who to vote for? Do they vote for the tunes they like or for the ones that seem to take more skill (I came third last month, which suggests the latter probably isn't true...), or if they hit a tie for favourite tune, do they then choose the most skilful of the two? Which might give a looper an advantage in that case, if conflating skilful with most complicated to perform.

I would probably prefer loopers not to be allowed. However, if they were to be allowed then, to level things out, multi track noodles should be allowed. They would still, strictly be only bass, but it would allow people without a looper to use layers. But I think it gets too far from the original spirit of the competition.

'Ark at me! I've only entered once and I'm not even sure if I will enter this month yet...

Edit: Yeah, what Rob said as I was typing this post out slowly with one finger.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460414522' post='3025611']
Well, it used to be accepted to conk ladies on the head and drag 'em into caves. It's called evolution, I think.
[/quote]
Where can I find this evolution?

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1460392642' post='3025326']
[/quote]

Look what you've done!! :lol: :D

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460439373' post='3025645']
Gents, a few thoughts on the looper thing...

I do a lot of composing with loopers myself, I'm a huge fan of layering up bass parts to create a complex composition, but I'm not convinced that it's really in the spirit of the noodle bar...

It's early days yet for the competition and it's still not fully defined what constitutes a noodle and what doesn't (it is also not my place to dictate the rules)... So far a number of noodlers have ended up using their minute for what essentially is a minute long solo bass composition, some on the other hand have posted up a single riff... None have submitted themselves playing smoke on the water a week after buying their first bass yet, but that would also be in the spirit of things.

I think using a looper, especially if not building up the loops within the minute, to create a complex layered composition would fall under the remit of the full blown compo comp as opposed to the noodle bar.

In my mind a noodle should be;

PRESS RECORD - PLAY BASS - PRESS STOP

Whether your doing that through a ton of high end recording gear, or plonking a phone in front of your cab doesn't matter.

The beauty for me is in the simplicity.
[/quote]

I fully agree with this. And adding one of the points of the comp was to make it easy for anyone at any skill level to be able to enter while not feeling they were up against other entries that they couldn't possible compete with. In the hope it would attract more people as well.
We do have the other monthly composition challenge for the use of more effects , editing etc etc. This challenge was to be the kinda opposite.

It's not a backlash... just a discussion on the looper rule, which is a little ambiguous.

These things are bound to happen in the early days whilst the noodle bar works out exactly what it is.

Enter whatever you like, nothing that has been said is an official rule, just a few BCers thoughts on the matter.

I think it's a good sign people are interested enough in the competition to comment on stuff like this :)