Why become a member? ×

Novice Mistake - Truss Rod Nut

I recently purchased a (new) G&L M2000. Great sounding bass but the action's very high from the factory. After the usual checking and measuring I attempted to tighten the truss road slightly - it seemed extremely stiff (maybe maxxed out already?). After applying more pressure than felt appropriate (but I carried on anyway...) the allan key seemed to turn. I should've stopped there and then but nope, the key suddenly turned and now I have a truss rod nut with a rounded head. Bugger.

Totally my own fault and I feel like a fool. Question is, what now? How badly screwed(!) am I?

How common is it for truss rods to be fully tightened from the factory - seems like a QA failure.

At least it should be possible to remove the bullet nut although it will probably be sacrificed in the process. It is likely that the nut had just locked onto the thread over time. It is sometimes necessary to remove the nut and grease the thread, although with care as you do not want grease (or oil) soaking into the wood. So the bass is not lost but you need expert advice on where to go from here. Over to the experts...

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1460217941' post='3023770']
At least it should be possible to remove the bullet nut although it will probably be sacrificed in the process. It is likely that the nut had just locked onto the thread over time. It is sometimes necessary to remove the nut and grease the thread, although with care as you do not want grease (or oil) soaking into the wood. So the bass is not lost but you need expert advice on where to go from here. Over to the experts...
[/quote]

+1 get it to a repair person with a suitable tool (like the stu-mac rescue one) and more importantly - the appropriate experience. The good news is - the bass is barely damaged - when the truss rod nut is replaced there's a 95% it'll be plain sailing from then on with a G&L (tribute or USA).

Thanks guys. Found a local luthier with an excellent reputation who mentioned the Stu-Mac tool (I'd never heard of them before) who's going to take a look and do a proper setup for me while he's at it.

And even after all I've said on here previously and even though the G&L is a lovely bass I find myself wanting another Jazz. If I could sneak a Squire VM under the radar I can keep the G&L for recording...

[quote name='FatDrunkStupid' timestamp='1460217560' post='3023760']
I recently purchased a (new) G&L M2000. Great sounding bass but the action's very high from the factory. After the usual checking and measuring I attempted to tighten the truss road slightly - it seemed extremely stiff (maybe maxxed out already?). After applying more pressure than felt appropriate (but I carried on anyway...) the allan key seemed to turn. I should've stopped there and then but nope, the key suddenly turned and now I have a truss rod nut with a rounded head. Bugger.

Totally my own fault and I feel like a fool. Question is, what now? How badly screwed(!) am I?

How common is it for truss rods to be fully tightened from the factory - seems like a QA failure.
[/quote]

You mention that it was purchased new. So did you buy it online or bricks and mortar shop or whatever ?
It seems to me that the retailer has primary responsibility for it and should take remedial action (no pun intended :-)
Hope it works out well.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1460410309' post='3025561']
You mention that it was purchased new. So did you buy it online or bricks and mortar shop or whatever ?
It seems to me that[b] the retailer has primary responsibility[/b] for it and should take remedial action (no pun intended :-)
Hope it works out well.
[/quote]

not if you damage it, however... :mellow: