Why become a member? ×

Bass EQ PEdals - How do you personally use yours?

AinsleyWalker

I used an MXR ten band EQ to boost 62.5hz a few dB but cut 31.25hz to the max when I was using 15" speakers. This way I kept stuff from resonating to any sub lows in the pub I was playing. Cutting mids seems nice solo but makes your tone drown in the total mix.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1460310162' post='3024572']
I used an MXR ten band EQ to boost 62.5hz a few dB but cut 31.25hz to the max when I was using 15" speakers. This way I kept stuff from resonating to any sub lows in the pub I was playing. Cutting mids seems nice solo but makes your tone drown in the total mix.
[/quote]

Yeah good point, at the moment I'm just writing stuff on my own so perhaps best to try things out when I'm next in a band environment.

A. subbed.

B. I keep finding new uses for my Empress ParaEQ. E.g. boost mids and cut low/highs for better slap-tone, or just to get a more modern "cutting" sound, or to tune my fuzz (the big-miff in my MS-60B) to sound "just right", to dial out some low-end for a less resonating E-string (that's before I got my Broughton HLPF), etc. (Personally, I've always found parametric to beat graphic, but it's a matter of taste of course)

[quote name='ProfFrink' timestamp='1460315442' post='3024620']
A. subbed.

B. I keep finding new uses for my Empress ParaEQ. E.g. boost mids and cut low/highs for better slap-tone, or just to get a more modern "cutting" sound, or to tune my fuzz (the big-miff in my MS-60B) to sound "just right", to dial out some low-end for a less resonating E-string (that's before I got my Broughton HLPF), etc. (Personally, I've always found parametric to beat graphic, but it's a matter of taste of course)
[/quote]

Yeah, I was looking for a parametric bass eq actually, the Boss PQ-3B in particular I've heard good things about but they're quite pricey and hard to come by, and saw the GE-7B going cheap on Ebay so thought I'd give it a go. I can't compare it to any parametric EQs but it's a decent pedal, very responsive.

I'm currently running my eq pedal as a "slap/boost" at the moment, running it straight after my compressor. Although, I am wanting to try some other boost pedals and see how they work out.

Has anybody placed an eq pedal between the amp and cab to remove any boomy/boxy frequencys?

[quote name='Callumjord' timestamp='1460889909' post='3029515']
Has anybody placed an eq pedal between the amp and cab to remove any boomy/boxy frequencys?
[/quote]

Possibly not the best place for it - I'd guess it would be removing all frequencies pretty quickly!

If you have an effect loop in your amp then putting it in there might work, but even then I'd guess that the frequency bands would be too wide to be able to target anything, and you'd really need a parametric to give you a chance of doing that.

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

[quote name='Callumjord' timestamp='1460889909' post='3029515']
[/quote]

I'd imagine that's a [I]really[/I] good way to damage your EQ pedal. The output from a power amp is designed to drive speakers and pedals are designed for instrument level signals. If your bass could drive speakers directly we wouldn't need amplifiers ;)

You could maybe do it if you also put a dummy load in but I suspect it would be a lot of hassle and would sound rubbish. Just put the EQ pedal last in your chain or in the effects loop.

Some interesting conversations going on, I've found my current favourite use for my Graphic EQ pedal is as a high end clarity booster for when I'm creating 'prettier' lines higher up, especially when using delay and chorus. Just removes a bit of muddiness and is quicker than adjusting the EQ on the bass itself.

Boost 62, Cut 125 + 250 and 500, Boost 1k and 2k, Cut 4k. (all varying degrees of cut and boost to make smooth curves of course) Slight boost on the Level so that the overall volume doesn't change much.

[quote name='ProfFrink' timestamp='1460315442' post='3024620']
A. subbed.

[/quote]

How do you like the Broughton, any info on how to order one? Looking at the Empress too, so interested to hear your thoughts :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1461327783' post='3033722']
How do you like the Broughton, any info on how to order one? Looking at the Empress too, so interested to hear your thoughts :)
[/quote]

It's all happening on TB:
[url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/variable-hpf-and-lpf-in-a-pedal.1176467/page-3#post-18162190"]https://www.talkbass...3#post-18162190[/url]

and if you want one you should PM 'Azure Skies' on that forum.

I can add to my short review above that it can also remove some mud from the low-end, and also seems to work quite well on a 5-er. For me it's an always-on on pretty easy settings, and sometimes used to boost levels or as a very controllable and predictable tone-control (the tone-controls on most basses are too hard to set for my taste)

Edit:

Oh, and I most use the Empress to boost mids, so arguably a single-band EQ like the BMC could have given me similar results (more edit: but it's handy to have around, I guess)

Both the Empress and the Broughton are top-quality (which in my book mean very transparent and extremely quiet)

Edited by ProfFrink

• 2 weeks later...