Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN Paul Reed Smith PRS McCarty Gold-top soapbar USA 1999
£1100

I have owned and gigged this USA-built PRS McCarty gold-top since 2010. The serial number identifies it as a 1999. Production of these ceased in 2007.

Description as follows:

[u]Body[/u]
Double cutaway
Mahogany back (1/8in thicker than the Custom etc)
East coast maple top in gold finish
[u]Neck[/u]
Set neck
Rosewood fretboard
Wide-fat profile
22 frets
25in scale length
Phases-of-the-moon dot inlays - no ostentatious falling birds here!
[u]Hardware[/u]
Wrap-around bridge
Vintage-style tuners
[u]Electronics[/u]
2x Seymour Duncan soap-bar single coils (hum-cancelling when both selected)
3-way toggle selector switch
1x volume, 1x tone control

Comes with fitted hard case (a standard Strat-type case is not a good fit).

[u]Sounds[/u]
The basic sound of this guitar is spanky single-coil, but with plenty of underlying fatness. Roll back the tone control, and you are into Gibson territory. This is one supremely versatile guitar, and by far the loudest that I own!

[u]Modifications[/u]
I have fitted a treble bleed circuit (1nF Orange Drop cap in parallel with 150k resistor) and it now retains brightness as you roll back the volume control.
The original side dot markers are all but invisible under stage lighting, so I have applied rub-down white dots. If you don't like these, you can easily remove them with the edge of a credit card.

[u]Condition[/u]
Plenty of wear left in the frets. Currently strung with 9-46 Ernie Ball Slinky strings. Action is set low to my taste.
There are some dings on the neck and body, which I have tried to show in the pictures. In particular there is a spot on the upper edge where a chunk of finish has been crunched, but it seems to have been filled in with clear lacquer so that it can barely be felt. There is also a dent in the bass side of the neck between the 15th and 16th frets, but this has never affected playability.

[u]Reason for sale[/u]
Need to replace the kidney I sold to buy a pre-CBS Precision... Only joking!
I operate a strict 1-in-1-out policy, and I have a hankering for a Les Paul Junior or similar. Where I would have used this guitar on a gig, I am now using a Tele and a Gibson (which should give you a clue as to its versatility!

[u]Price[/u]
Looking for [b][s]£1,100[/s] [color=#0000cd][size=5]£995[/size][/color][/b]. Collection or meet-up preferred, or I can arrange insured delivery at cost.

[u]Trades[/u]
Guitar - Les Paul Junior or Custom, preferably double-cut in TV Yellow or red stain, or quality equivalent (eg Collings DC290)
[s]Bass - Fender Precision '57 reissue, or possibly Nate Mendel P or cheaper 'bitsa'[/s]
- with cash either way, depending on model or condition ;)
Please PM any trade suggestions, even if not listed above - I can only say no!

[u]Pics[/u]

Edited by JapanAxe

Bump. Plan B is to trade this in against something even more lush at [url="https://worldguitars.co.uk/"]World Guitars[/url], so if you're more than a little interested, don't hang around - there are a couple of interesting candidates on their stock book...

I remember playing one of these many years ago. Without doubt, one of the finest sounding guitars I've ever played and definitely the best P90 guitar. I used to own a McCarty, but eventually moved it on as the PRS double cutaway doesn't suit me ergonomically. However, I couldn't fault the build at all, or the components used. If it wasn't for the ergonomics issue, Mrs Ez would be getting very worried about now, especially at that price. GLWTS.

I will be travelling between Swindon and Whitby on Saturday 28th May, and making the return journey on Wednesday 1st June. If this might help eith a reluctance to buy unseen, or to be subject to the vagaries of couriers, get PM-ing now!

• 2 weeks later...