Why become a member? ×

Sugar Ray's Vintage Recording Studio

discreet

[b]Sugar Ray's Vintage Recording Studio[/b]

We'll be recording here in the not-too-distant future. Really looking forward to it. My current project is a retro country band covering songs in various sub-genres from the 1920s onwards, so Sugar Ray's live recording method (in mono!) should be just the ticket for maximum authenticity... I will of course post the results in the fullness of time. :)

http://sugarraysvintagerecordings.co.uk/the-studio/

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1460380761' post='3025160']
Pat Rayford is an excellent musician and has fronted some great bands. If he dont get you sounding good its time to give up!
[/quote]

We're hoping to sound reasonably good before we get there, but I'm quite sure he will improve matters. ;) Thanks for the comment.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1460392973' post='3025330']
There is an interesting set of YouTube Videos, if you want to get a feel for the place.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. There are also some vids of Sun Studio in Memphis... maybe it's just me but I can definitely see some similarities... I didn't know Mark Kermode played bass! Every day's a school day.

Edited by discreet

that does look fantastic , I think just being the part must help to inspire, but I'm with Paul
[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1460369229' post='3024957']
That looks awesome! I'd love to record somewhere like that...unfortunately I require way too much cut, copy, paste and quantise before I even sound half competent.
[/quote]

Though being part of it would be superb

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1460459043' post='3025855']
I wonder if you'll get dirty looks for bringing one of those newfangled Fender basses, rather than a gut-strung double bass?
[/quote]

Well the P Bass was around in the 50s, so I hope not... :unsure:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460465139' post='3025921']
Around, yes, but frowned upon. <_<
[/quote]

If I've learned one thing from this forum it's that bass players are conservative.

It's too bad anyway, I'm not learning the upright bass just for one recording session. Leo gifted us the P Bass specifically so we didn't have to put up with the many disadvantages of the DB and I thank him for it daily. :)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1460467371' post='3025939']
The authentic 50s attitude would probably be to grumble about the Fender bass but end up using one anyway 'cos it's easier to gig with and you can actually hear it!
[/quote]

Yes, or throw it across the floor like Bill Black because I found it difficult to make the transition... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460473823' post='3026021']
I couldn't possibly make any comments about that!! :D
[/quote]

I didn't really mean to be offensive.
It's just I know a couple of Rockerbilly Bassists who mockingly refer to their Slap technique
as just "Twatting It", and they are excellent at that style.

Can you throw a rope ladder down this big hole, please?

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1460474724' post='3026028']
I didn't really mean to be offensive.
[/quote]

No offense taken, at least not by me. I'm just super-careful because I once made some pretty disparaging comments about someone's bass playing on YouTube and it turned out they were a member on here. Not good. So once bitten, and all that... :)

Edited by discreet