351 replies to this topic

#1 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:15 AM

Hi all

As some of you might have realised, I like investigating stuff that's not generally known in the UK.

I've had the amp itch for a little while - I love my Walkabout dearly, but you know how it is - and while hunting for information on something else, I happened across a Polish audio company called HandBox. They do loads of stuff, including a line of amps - one of which, the R-400 caught my eye. It's 400w, fairly small & light, with a traditional power section and simple controls.

I exchanged a few emails with Leszek, the owner, who really seems to know his stuff. To cut a long story short, it landed on my doorstep this morning.

(Disclosure: I'm just trialling this amp. I've paid the shipping for it to come over here, and I'm just going to share my thoughts about it with the BC community. I could end up buying one, or if I decide to keep my Walkabout, I'll return it.)

First impressions:
  • It was very well packed. Even thought the amp itself is in a flightcase-style box, it still has a fitted case with pockets.
  • I'm not sure what the flightcase finish is - it's cool looking with subtle distressed look (other styles are available), and a tactile feel.
  • The amp's knobs are solid, with a little bit of a 'clicky' feel as you turn them (I'm not sure what the technical term is!).

I have to dash out now... more soon...!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Basses: Fender '71 Precision Fretted (rosewood) | Fender '71 Precision Fretless (rosewood) | Maruszczyk Jake P/J (x2)
Amplification: HandBox R-400 head | TKS Engineering S112 & S212 cabs | Ibanez Promethean P5110

Bands: The Lindisfarne Story | The Caffreys | Rosie & the Hips

See all my basses here | Watch video clips of them here | Hey! I've got feedback!

#2 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

We need to know about the HEFT!
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Genz Benz Streamliner 900 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#3 discreet

The Enemy of Art

• Members
  • 21,028 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

Yes, for God's sake - is it HEFTY or not?? :D

#4 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Time will tell :-)
Basses: Fender '71 Precision Fretted (rosewood) | Fender '71 Precision Fretless (rosewood) | Maruszczyk Jake P/J (x2)
Amplification: HandBox R-400 head | TKS Engineering S112 & S212 cabs | Ibanez Promethean P5110

See all my basses here | Watch video clips of them here | Hey! I've got feedback!

#5 discreet

The Enemy of Art

• Members
  • 21,028 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

You tease!

#6 BassBunny

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

Like the look of it. Subscribed. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.
The Function Band: http://www.rumblefatband.co.uk
The Tribute Band: http://www.commit2blues.co.uk
Basses: ACG Recurve 5, ACG Skelf R Type 5, Marleaux/Carvin BB75 (Marvin), Bass Collection SB405, Bass Collection SB??5.
Amps/Cabs: MarkBass SA450, Zoot 112 and 112NT.
BassBunny's Feedback

#7 spyder

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Photography and High End Hi-Fi.

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

Looks great. I really love the simple layout .
But how does it sound....

Hofner CT Club Bass

Hofner Ltd Edition Bass Fuzz Pedal

ToadWorks Mr. Squishy Compressor

Taurus BL-1010 Combo

My old and new membership account feedback...

http://basschat.co.u...age__hl__voxpop

http://basschat.co.u...ack-for-spyder/

#8 Merton

Warning: May Cause Drowsiness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

Intriguing! Looks great and I love the simplicity it :)
Basses by ACG and Status Graphite - Amplification by Ashdown - Cables by rock-wire (OBBM)

Back in the Day - weddings, functions, parties
Boogie Monsters - live music for little monsters

Merton's feedback

#9 Beer of the Bass

I ought to be practicing really...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

Looking at their website with Google translate, they have some intriguing looking amps. The rackmount 100 watt valve amp on their home page could probably tick a box on a few peoples wish lists.

https://translate.go...t-text=&act=url

#10 deksawyer

They talk of my drinking, but never my thirst!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:55 PM

Some very interesting gear there. Damn you!! :(

D.
Mesa Subway D-800
Eich 115XS x 2

All Lefties;
1980 Wal Custom
1996 Musicman Stingray Fretless
2006 Unbranded Jazz bass - Nordstrand Big Singles | BadAss II | Converted to Fretless
2015 Homemade G&L P Bass
2016 Sterling Ray34

#11 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:56 PM

OK - the kids are safely installed in the softplay, so here's a bit more about it, mainly from what I've asked Leszek.

There's a drive switch at the input which bumps the signal for passive basses, and a bright / dark switch, too. I think we can guess what that does, but I don't know the specifics. I'll ask.

The EQ is a James / Baxendall tone stack, as used on the Ampeg Portaflex, etc. The lack of a mid knob worried me at first, but I did a bit of revision and I can see that it's possible to boost mids if needed by rolling back the bass and treble.

Leszek replied to say he didn't want to use any semiconductor filters on the amp (this is a bit technical for me, but it sounds like a good thing), and assured me that the mids were nice and clear in the first place, so apparently I needn't worry.

I asked him why there's no ground lift on the DI, and he replied that it's not needed as the DI is on the audio transformer, not an integrated circuit (again, I can't pretend to understand what this means).

As mentioned, there is a 120W valve version of this which is the same dimensions but 3U, and is (I think) 13kg. It sounds interesting.

The amp is available in a few styles, including a vinyl covering and a full flightcase.

I've got a gig on Friday, and an all-day rehearsal on Saturday, so I'll have lots of time to A/B it with the Walkabout...

#12 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Oh, some more info from another email - there are three tubes in the pre (full-voltage only- there's no starved plate stuff) and the limiter is optically controlled.

#13 Happy Jack

I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated (yeah)

• Members
  • 10,010 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:20 PM

Yes, but what about the handles? And the feet?
Feedback +++ YouTube Channel +++ My Basses +++ Current active bands: Junkyard Dogs + King Ralph +++ Gone, but not forgotten: Dani Molino + Karena K + Mick's Lawmen + The Sapphire Grooves + Westbound Piccadilly + Long String Hawkers + Red Herring

It's never too late to have a Happy childhood.

#14 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostHappy Jack, on 11 April 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

Yes, but what about the handles? And the feet?

Reassuringly solid :-)

#15 warwickhunt

Are you the Moderator? I've come on this forum by mistake

• Members
  • 8,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

I may be knocking at your door to have a skeg. ;)
Variously using Warwick, Musicman or Bolin basses.
Played through; Thunderfunk + TC RS210 cabs
Whilst imbibing; Fine Wine or Bottles of 'Dog'.

My feedback: http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=warwickhunt

#16 Matt P

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

that looks rather nice, if you don't decide to keep it then I wouldn't mind a go with it, I had a look at the prices and they seem very good value (provided that my google conversion of the price was right!)

If you are going to keep he Handbox I might make a bid for your Mesa!

Matt
Letts singlecut 5 string, '77 Fender Precision (P/J modded), '81 Aria Cardinal (defretted), Squier VM 70's P-Bass, Squier VM Precision V, Kala U-bass.
Markbass F1, TC Polytune, Klotz/Neutrik Cables, 2 x Barefaced Midgets with vintage Grilles they're here and they're awesome, and a bunch of EHX and MXR Pedals on a homemade Board

My FeedBack

#17 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:33 PM

View PostMatt P, on 11 April 2016 - 05:19 PM, said:

that looks rather nice, if you don't decide to keep it then I wouldn't mind a go with it, I had a look at the prices and they seem very good value (provided that my google conversion of the price was right!)

If you are going to keep he Handbox I might make a bid for your Mesa!

Matt

Of course - anyone around Newcastle who wants to see / try it is more than welcome. Just give me a shout.

Here's some more bit and pieces, starting with an EQ plot:

Posted Image

And here's the 120w tube version:

Posted Image

#18 Bigwan

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:29 AM

That tube version looks VERY interesting...

Edited by Bigwan, 12 April 2016 - 07:31 AM.

ACG Finn 4 Standard - ACG Recurve 5 Custom - Fender US Precision - Yamaha Pulser 400

Barefaced Two10 - Ashdown ABM C110 - Ashdown 4x8 cabs (x2) - Burman PowerPak pre/power

My Feedback

#19 Matt P

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

I think I've found the website.

https://translate.go...-bin%2Findex.pl hopefully the translated version

any idea what the differences are between the amps shown are? some have pushbuttons, some toggle switches an there seem to be different layouts as well but they are all on the R400 standard page

a test of this amp would be ace, maybe if enough people want to try it we could book a couple of hours at a rehearsal room and give it a test with different cabs and basses, I'd be happy to chip in for the room hire.

Matt
Letts singlecut 5 string, '77 Fender Precision (P/J modded), '81 Aria Cardinal (defretted), Squier VM 70's P-Bass, Squier VM Precision V, Kala U-bass.
Markbass F1, TC Polytune, Klotz/Neutrik Cables, 2 x Barefaced Midgets with vintage Grilles they're here and they're awesome, and a bunch of EHX and MXR Pedals on a homemade Board

My FeedBack

#20 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostMatt P, on 12 April 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

I think I've found the website.

https://translate.go...-bin%2Findex.pl hopefully the translated version

any idea what the differences are between the amps shown are? some have pushbuttons, some toggle switches an there seem to be different layouts as well but they are all on the R400 standard page

a test of this amp would be ace, maybe if enough people want to try it we could book a couple of hours at a rehearsal room and give it a test with different cabs and basses, I'd be happy to chip in for the room hire.

Matt

AFAIK the differences are all cosmetic...

#21 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

...and here's what the switches do:

Bright / dark switch...
Off: flat
On: +3dB @ 100Hz / -3dB @ 750Hz / +2dB @ 10 kHz

Contour knob...
0 to -12dB @ 1kHz

#22 Passinwind

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

So what is the actual size and weight please? I couldn't find that in a quick look at the website.
--Charlie Escher

#23 ahpook

Just a $30 Reverend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts
  • Interests:Join the campaign for Unreal Rock !

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

Looks very impressive, thanks for all the info.

#24 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

View PostPassinwind, on 12 April 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

So what is the actual size and weight please? I couldn't find that in a quick look at the website.

It's 375 x 108 x 315mm, and 7.5kg..

#25 Passinwind

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

View Postwateroftyne, on 12 April 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

It's 375 x 108 x 315mm, and 7.5kg..

Thanks, hope it works out well for you.
--Charlie Escher

#26 spyder

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Photography and High End Hi-Fi.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

But how does it sound....

Hofner CT Club Bass

Hofner Ltd Edition Bass Fuzz Pedal

ToadWorks Mr. Squishy Compressor

Taurus BL-1010 Combo

My old and new membership account feedback...

http://basschat.co.u...age__hl__voxpop

http://basschat.co.u...ack-for-spyder/

#27 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

I'll know better this weekend, but it's passed the living room tone-test with flying colours... lovely and organic.

#28 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

OK.. I've just spend an hour or so tinkering with the R-400, and comparing it to the Walkabout.

They both have very different starting points. The Walkabout defaults to that classic warm and smooth tone, but it's possible to get brighter with a bit of EQ.

With a flat EQ, the R-400 is much, much brighter, clearer and glassier. Rolling the treble knob back quickly warms things up, and as you increase the gain knob, you can really hear it fatten up even more. It's a lot of fun to play though.

Of course this is just plunking away at practice volume - it'll be getting a good run out on Friday and Saturday...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:31 PM

First gig with it tonight. It's early days so I'm not trying to get too excited, but... it just fantastic.

I'll put some sound clips up tomorrow if they've come out OK...

Posted Image

#30 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

Here's a short snippet from the gig:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users