The HandBox Amplification thread

338 replies to this topic

#31 Graham

Four strings good, five strings better

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

Sounds nice and articulate there, warm but with controlled lows, which are all good things to me :)
Basses by G&L USA and Tribute
Amps and cabs by Gallien-Krueger and EBS
D'addario strings, Cleartone cables

Experienced bassist available for session / dep work in the Sussex, Surrey and Kent area:
http://www.facebook....GrahamSmithBass

Bassist for Naked Bass - party covers for weddings, parties and corporate events
www.nakedbass.co.uk

#32 discreet

Tone? What's that?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

Sounds like a bass to me. Always difficult to evaluate amps and basses on YouTube. Great playing as always, though. :)

Edited by discreet, 16 April 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#33 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:19 PM

Yep, nothing compares to being there :-)

I didn't think I'd have a need for the contour knob, but I'm rehearsing with it at the mo and dialling in a tiny bit rounds things up a bit of the song needs it...
Basses: Fender '71 Precision Fretted (rosewood) | Fender '71 Precision Fretless (rosewood) | Maruszczyk Jake P/J (x2)
Amplification: HandBox R-400 head | TKS Engineering S112 & S212 cabs | Ibanez Promethean P5110

Bands: The Lindisfarne Story | The Caffreys | Rosie & the Hips

See all my basses here | Watch video clips of them here | Hey! I've got feedback!

#34 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

View Postwateroftyne, on 16 April 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

Here's a short snippet from the gig:

Sounds good to me, although much of that has to do with the player (not wishing to be sycophantic of course).
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Precision '57 RI (Japan 2004/5) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Genz Benz Streamliner 900 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

FOR SALE: Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Nano Overdrive | Mooer Trelicopter Tremolo

#35 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

I used it yesterday at a marathon 8-hour rehearsal, just through the little S112. Lovely & focussed.

I didn't think I'd have a use for the contour knob, but I've noticed adding a little nudges it towards Walkabout territory. I used it on quite a few tunes, and the bright switch came in handy too. Any reservations I had about the seemingly limited EQ are forgotten - it's just so easy to use.

Here's another vid, FWIW.. DI'd post-EQ with everything set flat, and the drive engaged.

(Disclaimer - I'm not a sound engineer. I need to learn how to do this properly!).

Basses: Fender '71 Precision Fretted (rosewood) | Fender '71 Precision Fretless (rosewood) | Maruszczyk Jake P/J (x2)
Amplification: HandBox R-400 head | TKS Engineering S112 & S212 cabs | Ibanez Promethean P5110

See all my basses here | Watch video clips of them here | Hey! I've got feedback!

#36 Merton

Warning: May Cause Drowsiness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

Great playing as always :)

The amp sounds very nice too!
Basses by ACG and Status Graphite - Amplification by Ashdown - Cables by rock-wire (OBBM)

Back in the Day - weddings, functions, parties
Boogie Monsters - live music for little monsters

Merton's feedback

#37 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

Cheers, Merton. :-)

Right - I've decided it's a keeper. Time to talk to him about price and put my order in. I need to decide what kind of style to go for, too - there's quite a few options of styles, cases, knobs, colours, switches and finishes...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 owen

Low achiever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

This is all well and good, but I need a website. I cannot find one. Yes, I tried google.
Double Bass, it's an airfix kit waiting to happen.

http://soundcloud.com/owen-lloyd-evans

Feedback

#39 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:51 AM

It's http://handbox.pl/, but it seems to be down at the moment..?

#40 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

There's a Facebooky thing: https://www.facebook.com/HandBoxAudio/

#41 skychaserhigh

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

At least I can spell and pronounce this , unlike Marsuzzkeijjs.....however It's spelt !

#42 discreet

Tone? What's that?

• Members
  • 20,891 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

I like the second one, simple but businesslike. :)

#43 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:13 PM

View Postdiscreet, on 18 April 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

I like the second one, simple but businesslike. :)

I like it, too. It's very blackface Walkabout...

#44 gazhowe

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:27 AM

I like the 2nd one too. I've never been a fan of top handle straps from an aesthetic and practical point of view so would prefer this with the side handle shown on the 1st amp if possible. If not I could certainly live with it, the amp sounds very good on the demos.
Basses: Status S2 Classic, Musicman Stingray Classic, Musicman Stingray (3 band EQ)
Amplification: MarkBass MoMark (500w & 800w frames)
Cab: Bergantino AE410
Other stuff: Auralex Great Gramma, Line 6 G30, various pedals (blah blah blah etc)

#45 Matt P

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:12 AM

The last one for me, but with the black faceplate surround, is it possible to have a footswitch for the drive?

Matt
Letts singlecut 5 string, '77 Fender Precision (P/J modded), '81 Aria Cardinal (defretted), Squier VM 70's P-Bass, Squier VM Precision V, Kala U-bass.
Markbass F1, TC Polytune, Klotz/Neutrik Cables, 2 x Barefaced Midgets with vintage Grilles they're here and they're awesome, and a bunch of EHX and MXR Pedals on a homemade Board

My FeedBack

#46 BigRedX

RockinRollin VampireMan

• Members
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

Is there a rack-mounting version?

My Music:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#47 eude

too orangey for crows...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts
  • Interests:The 3 B's

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostMatt P, on 19 April 2016 - 09:12 AM, said:

The last one for me, but with the black faceplate surround, is it possible to have a footswitch for the drive?

Matt

Same for me, although I like the side mounted handle.

Their bloomin website is STILL down! How much do these run for again mate?

Eude
Basses - ACG Krell SC E Type Bolt-On 5 string, ACG Recurve 4 string Shortscale, ACG Salace E Type Bolt-on 6 string Headless Shortscale and an ACG Krell E Type 6 string Headless Shortscale Fretless on the way!
Amp - Ashdown MiBass 2.0 through 2 x Mi10 Cabs
Guitars - ACG Skelf and Tchib Guitars
Effects - EHX Bass Big Muff, DOD 250, Boss AW-3, Boss OC-2, TC Electronic Rottweiler, Korg Pitchblack
Cables - OBBM and Monster Bass

#48 Matt P

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

actually the more I look at them the more I'm drawn to the case on the top one, but definitely with the metal toggle switches, the surround colour is going to be the difficult bit, I think I need to try out the test amp and then I'll know if I need to break open the piggy bank.

Matt
Letts singlecut 5 string, '77 Fender Precision (P/J modded), '81 Aria Cardinal (defretted), Squier VM 70's P-Bass, Squier VM Precision V, Kala U-bass.
Markbass F1, TC Polytune, Klotz/Neutrik Cables, 2 x Barefaced Midgets with vintage Grilles they're here and they're awesome, and a bunch of EHX and MXR Pedals on a homemade Board

My FeedBack

#49 Bigwan

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:24 AM

Surprised nobody has asked this yet. How is it compared to the Walkabout WoT?
ACG Finn 4 Standard - ACG Recurve 5 Custom - Fender US Precision - Yamaha Pulser 400

Barefaced Two10 - Ashdown ABM C110 - Ashdown 4x8 cabs (x2) - Burman PowerPak pre/power

My Feedback

Orange Terror 500 for sale

#50 Matt P

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

when I checked the prices and used google to convert it they ran about £480 ish (give or take a bit) pretty sure it's under 500 though (plus a bit for shipping I guess)

I think my piggy bank is definitely in danger!

Time to try it out I think!

Matt

My FeedBack

#51 eude

too orangey for crows...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostMatt P, on 19 April 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

when I checked the prices and used google to convert it they ran about £480 ish (give or take a bit) pretty sure it's under 500 though (plus a bit for shipping I guess)

I think my piggy bank is definitely in danger!

Time to try it out I think!

Matt

Oh dear, we're all doomed! DOOMED! ;)

Eude
Basses - ACG Krell SC E Type Bolt-On 5 string, ACG Recurve 4 string Shortscale, ACG Salace E Type Bolt-on 6 string Headless Shortscale and an ACG Krell E Type 6 string Headless Shortscale Fretless on the way!
Effects - EHX Bass Big Muff, DOD 250, Boss AW-3, Boss OC-2, TC Electronic Rottweiler, Korg Pitchblack

#52 Merton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

View Posteude, on 19 April 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

Oh dear, we're all doomed! DOOMED! ;)

Eude
Do it, or wait for the Merton Signature Ashdown which I think I may have sold to Mark Gooday enough yesterday.... ;)
Basses by ACG and Status Graphite - Amplification by Ashdown - Cables by rock-wire (OBBM)

Merton's feedback

#53 eude

too orangey for crows...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostMerton, on 19 April 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

Do it, or wait for the Merton Signature Ashdown which I think I may have sold to Mark Gooday enough yesterday.... ;)

I repeat, we're all doomed!

#54 Merton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Haha!

OT I like the black face, or the black and silver face, or the silver and blue face. Hell they all look good. And sound good.

We're all doomed! :D

Merton's feedback

#55 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

View Postgazhowe, on 19 April 2016 - 05:27 AM, said:

I like the 2nd one too. I've never been a fan of top handle straps from an aesthetic and practical point of view so would prefer this with the side handle shown on the 1st amp if possible. If not I could certainly live with it, the amp sounds very good on the demos.

I'm the opposite - I wasn't keen on the side handle at first for purely visual reasons (yeah, I'm shallow), but I now see that it makes perfect sense. It's a solid, quality handle, and the way it's accessible through the fitted soft case makes it a doddle to carry.

View PostMatt P, on 19 April 2016 - 09:12 AM, said:

Matt

View PostBigRedX, on 19 April 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Is there a rack-mounting version?

Good questions.. dunno. I'll find out.

View PostBigwan, on 19 April 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

Surprised nobody has asked this yet. How is it compared to the Walkabout WoT?

The WA is known for being inherently thick and warm, which I've always liked.

The R-400 is a different beast. With the EQ flat, it's absolutely clear as a bell. Like the WA it's very responsive, and laying back or digging in is very rewarding.

Engage a bit of drive, and a little bit of contour, and you can get into WA territory, but to be honest, I just had loads of fun playing it clean - it's clean in a smooth tube way, not SS. The bark on string slides is lovely. The lows are tight and responsive, which isn't what the WA is famed for. Again, two different flavours of goodness.

It's a great match for the TKS cabs. I can imagine needing to roll the treble or tweeters right back a bit on full-range cab for my needs. But then... others would love it.

I'm using supplied backline this weekend, but over the next few weeks I've got gigs with a number of different bands, some with more 'challenging' volume needs than others. We'll see how it goes!

#56 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

By the way, his webhost are having problems - he reckons his site will be down for 8-10 days. He's contactable by Facebook in the meantime.

#57 charic

Horklown Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

View Postwateroftyne, on 19 April 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

By the way, his webhost are having problems - he reckons his site will be down for 8-10 days. He's contactable by Facebook in the meantime.

Tell him to look at the possibility of Microsoft hosting, it's ridiculously cheap for a really basic site these days

The fretboard is your playground

No Fingering Or Slapping Allowed!

BC T&C's

Forum Behaviour Guidelines

#58 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Guitar, Drums (a bit), Squash

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

Has anyone enquired about heft yet? :)
U.S. Masters EP42 trans blue-- U.S. Masters EP42 lacewood fretless-- Sei Flamboyant headless 4
Genz-Benz Shuttle3.0 & Shuttle6.0--Ashdown CTM15 - Barefaced Super Midget G3, Midget G2-- 1x12 cab with EVM12L-- 1x10 baby cab with Celestion BN200-10X

My feedback Music by Charms Against The Evil Eye: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-moon
For sale: Celestion Greenbacks
Zoom MRS-1266 12 track digital recorder

#59 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

View PostMoonBassAlpha, on 19 April 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Has anyone enquired about heft yet? :)

Oh, it's got that :-)

#60 discreet

Tone? What's that?

• Members
  • 20,891 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:55 PM

View PostMoonBassAlpha, on 19 April 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Has anyone enquired about heft yet?

View Postwateroftyne, on 19 April 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Oh, it's got that.

I'm assuming it's European heft and not African heft..?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users