Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

Yep. Sounds great through an SC on it's own. Running it tonight with a gen 2 compact and the SC.

I'll try and report back but I may be focused elsewhere given the gig is now a 3 piece rather than our usual four. My backing vocals will need a bit more attention than usual!

Edited by colleya

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1481616958' post='3193663']
I finally got around to doing a video review of the R-400.. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/296805-handbox-r-400-bass-amplifier-video-review"]watch it here[/url].
[/quote]A good review, you have a good easygoing style.

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1485022247' post='3220521']
Good luck! Which cab are you using with it? Anyone played one through a Barefaced Super Compact or One10?
[/quote]
I've got the HandBox Red Fighter. It's bigger than the R400 but I've got it running through a Bareface One10. Can't say I've had it at gig volume, but I like the sound if them together. My usual amp is a Markbass LM3. The Red Fighter is a bit more toppy than the LM3.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1485089298' post='3220989']

I've got the HandBox Red Fighter. It's bigger than the R400 but I've got it running through a Bareface One10. Can't say I've had it at gig volume, but I like the sound if them together. My usual amp is a Markbass LM3. The Red Fighter is a bit more toppy than the LM3.
[/quote]

Interested to hear your thoughts on the RF. I wish I'd had a chance gig it at something a bit rockier than I was doing at the time.

So well made, though.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1485089812' post='3220994']
Interested to hear your thoughts on the RF. I wish I'd had a chance gig it at something a bit rockier than I was doing at the time.

So well made, though.
[/quote]
At the moment I've just fiddled with all the knobs and found that, as far as I can tell, the knobs don't do a lot. The EQ is there, but doesn't seem to make a massive amount of difference. I think what I need to do is go read the book and see what HandBox have to say on the subject.

OK. I've spend some time on the RF, fiddling with the knobs and switches.

First; here's what HandBox have to say about it. This is taken from the website and put through Google translation. I've made a few changes to the English, but please guys don't pick holes in the English:

RED FIGHTER is a bass-type head, which, together with dedicated speaker boxes addressed to bassists looking for a sound system of the original, while quality from the top shelf.

The film presents the Red Fighter:
Angielski Musician- Michael Bailey

The goal we set ourselves in the design of RED FIGHTER was one; to create an amplifier in which the sound quality is the absolute priority. During the work, it turned out that in order to achieve our aims, we buit it through connecting the old proven technology with the latest developments in the field of professional audio electronics. The RED FIGHTER has a powerful combination of technology to maintain its purity of sound. The tube preamp is made with No silicon components in the signal path, the final amp stage is made with advanced technology MOSFET design to achieve the desired effect.
RED FIGHTER is a suite complete with its own face design with a unique tonal character. High power final stages ensures excellent dynamics and sound clarity. Power amplifiers are designed for continuous operation in all conditions, always ensuring the highest technical parameters. The package of effective security ensures the safe operation of the device, and the behavior of the thermal equilibrium guarantees an electronically controlled system of forced cooling.

- Continuous output of 500W + 500W / 4 Ohm,
- Bridge-mode power 1000W / 8 ohms,
- Forced cooling fan 1 2-speed,
- First-class MOSFET power amp made on special dedicated power transistors,
- The function of time delay switching stages final after warming lamps,
- A system of accelerated resistance of carburettor disconnecting the speakers,
- Optical Limiter function on / off,
- Tube preamp (3 x ECC83) made of its clean the mold without interference silicon the acoustic track,
- Active EQ BASS and TREBLE Special author sonic matrix
(SOUND MATRIX) Hand's Box function on / off available, also with a foot Pedal Foot Switch,

ADDITIONAL FEATURES;
- BRIGHT- brightening or dimming signal,
- Shift to move the point of frequency control high,
- FET SHAPE- filter kształtująco-compacting signal made with a FET.
- HEADROOM- biases lamp high or low,

REAR PLATE;
- 3 Speakon type speaker terminals,
- EFFECT LOOP serial effect loop,
- LINE OUT function Pre / Post and control output level LEVEL
- GROUND Lift- attaching weight,
DIMENSIONS external HxWxD- 2Ux483x360 mm
WEIGHT-12kg

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1485084915' post='3220942']
Tell us more!
[/quote]

I know it's all subjective, but it just sounded....... right. Putting it through 2 cabs at 4 ohms made a huge difference in terms of pushing more air and giving the sound more weight. It was fat, round and clear without being muddy or boomy at the bottom end. I don't like much treble or bite at all but I've found that this means that higher notes can disappear, however this wasn't the case and it was even across all strings without treading on the guitarist's toes. Sound on stage and out front was clear and separated. We were using all backline but it wasn't a washout.

The only gripe I have is that the butterfly style fastenings for the front plate prevent the amp from standing on it's short edge, which is the natural place you'd put it down given the position of the handle. It took a diving save to prevent a nasty bump!

Anyway, crappy phone pic, but you can see the settings:

Comparing the Red Fighter in the picture above, the one here is pretty much the same except for 2 buttons.

The diagram shows a button called "Bright" - On this one it's called "Dark"
"Shift", another button - is called "Drive" on the one here.

I'm no amp connoisseur, I don't gig and starting out to look at this piece of kit, amp-GAS is a mystery to me. My main amp is a MarkBass LM3 into a One10 and it does me. I've also got a Roland Cube, but that sits in the back bedroom as a handy one to take out of the house if needed.

My trying the amp out has largely been at room levels, or in the lounge, pushing the volume a bit. The sound is very clean and compared to the LM3 it's quite bright in tone. I normally play with the EQ set at half-way.

With the Red Fighter EQ set at half-way on both pots the sound it good and has a nice bass depth of feel to it. Turning the Bass to full, adds some thickness to the tone, but nothing to knock you back. If, however, you then adjust the treble down you'll then find the top disappears and I'm sure that at gig levels you'd almost certainly get yours ears pumping.

[b]Dark & Drive: (or Bright and Shift)[/b]
If you play down the deep-end with the emphasis on the neck pup, EQ set to mid-way and picking over the pup you may never find much point in the Dark (Bright) button. If, however, you turn up the Treble and pick down at the bridge you'll discover what "[b]Bright[/b]" is all about. This little switch kicks in some emphasis on the top end. It ads some sparkle to the top end.

"[b]Drive[/b]" (Shift) is good at all ends of the spectrum. It ads some added Heft to the proceedings that you may like - not a lot, but it is there. Not sure if this would really get noticed much if you're a steady picker in a pub covers band, but if you're in a band where you're on the bass out-front, then it might get noticed.

[b]Fet Shape & Headroom:[/b]
Well, if you thought Dark & Drive were over-subtle, then FS & Headroom will leave you scratching your head.

[i][b]Fet Shape[/b][/i] gives a bit more spark to the tone. It's small, but a bit more noticeable on the treble end of the spectrum.

[i][b]Headroom [/b][/i]another button that's subtle in it's function. I'm struggling to find words that cover it. It simply adds colour and depth to the tone. It's almost like adding a small amount of reverb.

OK that brings me now to the[b] "Sound Matrix". [/b]
I was going to add an image here, but WaterofTyne has obliged in the post above. There are 2 level pots and 2 Freq switches. Those here who've owned a Westone Thunder 1A will know the tone pots on there; where a small turn and boy you know you did that. Well the Sound Matrix is nothing like that. Again it's subtle, the switches give a small change in the emphasis of different areas of the waveform and the level pots adjust the amount of that effect applied.
So, again it is subtle but if you had this amp in your stack you'd probably find a setting and leave it there.

[b]Limit & Bridge;[/b] I have a sneaking suspicion that in my cosy home of Grangur Towers in leafy Hertfordshire I don't think I'm ever going to know what "[b]Limit[/b]" is for sure. I think it adds some compression to the system.

Now, "Bridge", I like this. The Red Fighter is, as you'll know, a 500w + 500w amp. So, as I understand it there are 2 amps in here. Kicking the Bridge in another level. Some of the controls I've mentioned so far as "adding colour". Well this takes all the other up a notch and kicks it to another level. This might be the button you knock in, when you're just going into that number you really want the punters to notice you in.

My guess is that if you're gigging you could be tempted to fiddle about all night with this. it would be a fiddlers nightmare - you could never leave it alone. In reality I think most folk would find a setting and simply go for it.

The foot-switch would be great if you have the Bridge on all the time and simply knock that baby in for the bass-solo, or other times when you want a boost.

Do you need this amp? I don't. But I do now know what Amp-GAS is. This is no baby. It would be WAY-Overkill in my lounge at home, but so is the rack of basses. I love the colour and dynamics of this amp. I need to try out the smaller HB amp. But I'll be happy to give this little box of fun a good home.

[quote name='colleya' timestamp='1485114452' post='3221254'] I know it's all subjective, but it just sounded....... right. Putting it through 2 cabs at 4 ohms made a huge difference in terms of pushing more air and giving the sound more weight. It was fat, round and clear without being muddy or boomy at the bottom end. I don't like much treble or bite at all but I've found that this means that higher notes can disappear, however this wasn't the case and it was even across all strings without treading on the guitarist's toes. [/quote]

Nicely put, Sir. That's exactly what I felt about the RF. I'm not big on too much grating and clank. But there's amazing depth in the treble tones.

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1485116274' post='3221288']
Thanks for taking the time out to write such a huge amount of information, very good stuff and making me want to try one even more now!!!
[/quote]

You're welcome. I've just found out something. All the time I was experimenting I was playing a Fender P. After finishing all the write up, I changed to a Warwick. The Warwicks don't sound anywhere near as good as the passive P through the amp. I tried 3 Warwicks all in active and passive mode; not good at all. Then I tried and Ibanez PJ passive; excellent tone again.

This has been a real eye-opening experience. A good number of folk don't like Warwick basses. I'm sure this issue isn't solely Warwicks, but doesn't it just showanted how, when choosing a bass, the instrument is only a fraction of the picture.

[quote name='colleya' timestamp='1485114452' post='3221254']
I know it's all subjective, but it just sounded....... right. Putting it through 2 cabs at 4 ohms made a huge difference in terms of pushing more air and giving the sound more weight. It was fat, round and clear without being muddy or boomy at the bottom end. I don't like much treble or bite at all but I've found that this means that higher notes can disappear, however this wasn't the case and it was even across all strings without treading on the guitarist's toes. Sound on stage and out front was clear and separated. We were using all backline but it wasn't a washout.

The only gripe I have is that the butterfly style fastenings for the front plate prevent the amp from standing on it's short edge, which is the natural place you'd put it down given the position of the handle. It took a diving save to prevent a nasty bump!

[/quote]

Yep - I love the (sonic) weight & the even-ness too. There are no holes in the spectrum.

And I share your only gripe re: the fastening, too. I found out the same way you did :-)

I keep meaning to feed it back to Leszek... I must remember.