Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1486047311' post='3228784']
Put that in a different flightcase and I'd be all over it if I had funds. Nice!
[/quote]

I spoke to Leszek about this head and he told me the majority of feedback is that folk want it in a small metal frame, like this but without the rack ears. It would need side handles though ;)

Edited by walbassist

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1489431333' post='3256882']
I find pictures like the one above so distracting with 1 question:

"Are those basses standing on concrete and getting scratched?"

All looking nice though btw, as long as they're protected... but that's probably just me.
[/quote]

Fear not! The fretless is perched on a little rubber pad.

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1489446147' post='3257100']
The thing I like most about the R-400 is that I only ever use one knob, the Contour. It's all I need. I'm interested to see what Leszek does with a class D head.
[/quote]

I don't actually use the contour knob at all - Leszek keeps telling me I should, but it sounds great flat to me so I never bother.

I should maybe try it one day :-)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1489500667' post='3257447']
I don't actually use the [s]contour[/s] any knobs at all on any head - [s]Leszek[/s] folk keep[s]s[/s] telling me I should, but it sounds great flat to me so I never bother.

I should maybe try it one day :-)
[/quote]

Y'know, this is basically the truth...

• 3 weeks later...

I was chatting to Leszek today, and he mentioned he's added a new custom-order feature to the R-400 - an auto-switching mechanism to match the local power supply.

That got me thinking - I've never seen this on a class AB head, only on Class D's. Is this a first..?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After more than 30 years of proud ownership comes the realisation that i cannot manhandle my beloved trace elliot stack on my own any more.
I bought the cabs without hearing them as they were extremely rare at the time so i took the gamble on them.
Well its gamble time again so ive got 2 Handbox Black Emperor 2x10 cabs coming in a couple of weeks.im gonna try them with my spare head
and see how they go.should be easier to load my van anyway.

[quote name='zitherman' timestamp='1497201603' post='3316502']
After more than 30 years of proud ownership comes the realisation that i cannot manhandle my beloved trace elliot stack on my own any more.
I bought the cabs without hearing them as they were extremely rare at the time so i took the gamble on them.
Well its gamble time again so ive got 2 Handbox Black Emperor 2x10 cabs coming in a couple of weeks.im gonna try them with my spare head
and see how they go.should be easier to load my van anyway.
[/quote]

I'm intrigued! Hopefully I'll get to see them at some point :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Caveat Emperor"
After a misunderstanding over the finish my eagerly awaited Black Emperor cabs arrived from Handbox.
The cabs sound great using my T.E ah250.Lots of depth and clarity with punch all be it just using them in my garage.Ive yet to try them at a gig or rehearsal.
The quality of finish is also extremely good.Overall a very good product.
Unfortunately for me one cab was damaged in transit.(dpd).Idont know anyone who opens a parcel and fully examines the goods before signing so it looks like
they wont pay for the damage and im left trying to repair the cab.This is not the first time this has happened to me and im sure these firms just couldnt care less about
the goods they deliver and find any excuse not to pay up even though the insurance has been paid.
All this has not changed my mind about taking a chance on unknown amps and cabs etc but what i wont take a chance on is having them damaged by these unprofessional,
uncaring delivery companies.Ill be looking for a new amp in a few months but unless i walk away with it in my hands after purchase then i wont be buying it.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1490908587' post='3269044']
I was chatting to Leszek today, and he mentioned he's added a new custom-order feature to the R-400 - an auto-switching mechanism to match the local power supply.

That got me thinking - I've never seen this on a class AB head, only on Class D's. Is this a first..?
[/quote]Not if he is using a Switch Mode Power Supply. Matrix have been doing that for some time.

[quote name='zitherman' timestamp='1502471973' post='3351744']
hi there,just a little update on my fight with dpd over my damaged cabinet. No change,they are just refusing to pay for the damage .ill keep at them though.
[/quote]

Good luck, courier companies are bastards! Wishing you a successful outcome :)

Edited by Merton