Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1461057999' post='3030956']
when I checked the prices and used google to convert it they ran about £480 ish (give or take a bit) pretty sure it's under 500 though (plus a bit for shipping I guess)

I think my piggy bank is definitely in danger!

Time to try it out I think!

Matt
[/quote]

Oh dear, we're all doomed! DOOMED! ;)

Eude

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1461060360' post='3030979']
Do it, or wait for the Merton Signature Ashdown which I think I may have sold to Mark Gooday enough yesterday.... ;)
[/quote]

I repeat, we're all doomed!

[quote name='gazhowe' timestamp='1461043652' post='3030827']
I like the 2nd one too. I've never been a fan of top handle straps from an aesthetic and practical point of view so would prefer this with the side handle shown on the 1st amp if possible. If not I could certainly live with it, the amp sounds very good on the demos.
[/quote]

I'm the opposite - I wasn't keen on the side handle at first for purely visual reasons (yeah, I'm shallow), but I now see that it makes perfect sense. It's a solid, quality handle, and the way it's accessible through the fitted soft case makes it a doddle to carry.

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1461057152' post='3030940']
The last one for me, but with the black faceplate surround, is it possible to have a footswitch for the drive?

Matt
[/quote]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1461057244' post='3030941']
Is there a rack-mounting version?
[/quote]

Good questions.. dunno. I'll find out.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1461057857' post='3030955']
Surprised nobody has asked this yet. How is it compared to the Walkabout WoT?
[/quote]

The WA is known for being inherently thick and warm, which I've always liked.

The R-400 is a different beast. With the EQ flat, it's absolutely clear as a bell. Like the WA it's very responsive, and laying back or digging in is very rewarding.

Engage a bit of drive, and a little bit of contour, and you can get into WA territory, but to be honest, I just had loads of fun playing it clean - it's clean in a smooth tube way, not SS. The bark on string slides is lovely. The lows are tight and responsive, which isn't what the WA is famed for. Again, two different flavours of goodness.

It's a great match for the TKS cabs. I can imagine needing to roll the treble or tweeters right back a bit on full-range cab for my needs. But then... others would love it.

I'm using supplied backline this weekend, but over the next few weeks I've got gigs with a number of different bands, some with more 'challenging' volume needs than others. We'll see how it goes!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1461066640' post='3031074']
By the way, his webhost are having problems - he reckons his site will be down for 8-10 days. He's contactable by Facebook in the meantime.
[/quote]

Tell him to look at the possibility of Microsoft hosting, it's ridiculously cheap for a really basic site these days

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1461071806' post='3031148']
Has anyone enquired about heft yet?
[/quote][quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1461073930' post='3031173']
Oh, it's got that.
[/quote]

I'm assuming it's European heft and not African heft..?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1461076779' post='3031213']
More info:

Footswitchable - not possible.
Rackmount - nope, but there is a flightcased version available.
[/quote]

that's not a deal breaker for me, was more of a nice to have feature than a necessity.

Matt

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1461076779' post='3031213']
Rackmount - nope, but there is a flightcased version available.
[/quote]

That's a pity. Until my band gets big enough to have roadies and/or a bass tech I need to keep my rig as easy to set up as possible which means everything that isn't the speakers in a single box already wired together.

I might as well turn this into a general HandBox chat thread...

They've just posted details of a prototype they're working on, on Facebook - here's an approximate translation (thanks, Google!).

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Two-Channel hybrid head, with five tubes in the pre. The first channel is modelled on the Ampeg tone stack which uses three of the tubes, and is '[/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]thick, dirty and heavy'.[/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The [/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]other channel is inspired by Fender with more typical 3-band passive EQ, and using two tubes for a cleaner tone. The masterpiece is a hybrid driver module that gives it close to the unmistakeable full-tube tone. It will put out 600w @ 4Ohm and has friendly feature-weighs 4 times less than a tube equivalent."[/font][/color]

It's overkill for my needs, but my gosh it looks fun...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1461238830' post='3032737']
I might as well turn this into a general HandBox chat thread...

They've just posted details of a prototype they're working on, on Facebook - here's an approximate translation (thanks, Google!).

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Two-Channel hybrid head, with five tubes in the pre. The first channel is modelled on the Ampeg tone stack which uses three of the tubes, and is '[/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]thick, dirty and heavy'.[/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The [/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]other channel is inspired by Fender with more typical 3-band passive EQ, and using two tubes for a cleaner tone. The masterpiece is a hybrid driver module that gives it close to the unmistakeable full-tube tone. It will put out 600w @ 4Ohm and has friendly feature-weighs 4 times less than a tube equivalent."[/font][/color]

It's overkill for my needs, but my gosh it looks fun...

[/quote]

That. Looks. AWESOME!!!