Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1479479345' post='3176884']
Yes. It seems part of the chassis overhang is in the way so to change 2 of the 3 valves would mean taking the PCB out?
[/quote]

You got me curious about this, so I asked Leszek:

[quote]Tubes in R400 can be changed easily. They are mounted in the chassis at the very end just before mounting in the case. We don't design amplifiers that cannot be able to service, it doesn't make any sense. But it's good that musicians ask, you need to do so :-)[/quote]

I did a dep with a fab rock band wot I occasionally play with on Saturday night. The R-400 sounded glorious as usual.

One thing I've learned with this head is that the pots really are linear, unlike the norm where most of the action happens in the first 3rd of travel. So, if a crystal clean tone is your thing, you just need to run the input gain lower than you'd normally expect, and run the output gain higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Xc20kBpeA

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1479720592' post='3178626']
I did a dep with a fab rock band wot I occasionally play with on Saturday night. The R-400 sounded glorious as usual.

One thing I've learned with this head is that the pots really are linear, unlike the norm where most of the action happens in the first 3rd of travel. So, if a crystal clean tone is your thing, you just need to run the input gain lower than you'd normally expect, and run the output gain higher.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Xc20kBpeA[/media]
[/quote]

Sounds awesome mate!
Lovely and punchy, yet full and still complimentary to the overall sound of the band - marvelous!
Is the sound all from the cab, or have you gone through the PA?

Eude

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1479720592' post='3178626']

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Xc20kBpeA
[/quote]

Hmm, that punches nicely!!!

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1479752527' post='3179005']
Is that finger or thumb? It sounds nice and tight.

Does it stay punchy with a bit of gain thrown in?

I think we need a N E bass bash....
[/quote]

Slappity slap for the first tune, fingers for the rest. It's always punchy :-)

Yeah - it must be bash time soon...

[quote name='sratas' timestamp='1480234201' post='3182616']
Wateroftyne...I'm waiting for news about the wt 100.

Are they still testing the prototype?

Is there a way to have it with the four KT 66 ?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I'm not sure - last I heard he was still tweaking the power stage. Drop him a mail at [email protected] and I'm sure he'll give you an update...

And post it here, 'cos I'm intrigued, too :-)

So finally got to gig my red R-400 Sat night. I'm not used to volume controls going past 12 o'clock on modern amps but there was still plenty of clean juice left in the tank and a superb tone from the valve pre-amp. And she's a bit of a stunner too :)

[url="http://s1266.photobucket.com/"]http://s1266.photobucket.com/[/url]

The lights on the front are actually red. Sorry for the poor photo.

Edited by nickademus

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1480236177' post='3182628']
I'm not sure - last I heard he was still tweaking the power stage. Drop him a mail at [email protected] and I'm sure he'll give you an update...

And post it here, 'cos I'm intrigued, too :-)
[/quote]

done...I asked about the WT100, and especially if it is possible to have one built with KT88 output tubes. Here is the reply:

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]"Hi Mariano,[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]I have one pcs WB100 made on 4xkt88. It gives 180W.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]It is a very good result. Good enough for any kind of music or event. It has a great power-to-weight ratio.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]I like this amp but for now we don't have enough hands to work on it. :([/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]Regards[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]Leszek"[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]gosh...180 watts??? oh my....if the tone is on par and the weight stays in the 30 pounds range....it will be almost impossible to resist![/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1481067225' post='3189526']
Sounds lovely! Excuse the ignorance but what's the difference between this one and the orange fronted one?
[/quote]

There's loads of difference... umm... errr...

OK. Just the colour, and the fact it's covered in tolex to match my cabs. ha ha.

Oh, and the light behind the badge :-)

[quote name='sratas' timestamp='1480609691' post='3185845']

done...I asked about the WT100, and especially if it is possible to have one built with KT88 output tubes. Here is the reply:

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]"Hi Mariano,[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]I have one pcs WB100 made on 4xkt88. It gives 180W.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]It is a very good result. Good enough for any kind of music or event. It has a great power-to-weight ratio.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]I like this amp but for now we don't have enough hands to work on it. :([/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]Regards[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]Leszek"[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=5]gosh...180 watts??? oh my....if the tone is on par and the weight stays in the 30 pounds range....it will be almost impossible to resist![/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

How much for such a beast I wonder?...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1481067371' post='3189528']

There's loads of difference... umm... errr...

OK. Just the colour, and the fact it's covered in tolex to match my cabs. ha ha.

Oh, and the light behind the badge :-)
[/quote]

Ah, honesty is always the best policy ;). Was thinking of buying the orange one for sale on here, how does it work at low volumes? I spend most of my time jamming in my bedroom so I don't want to be shaking any windows! For reference I currently have an ashdown LB30 paired with a barefaced compact and have volume set at noon.

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1481106662' post='3189689']
Ah, honesty is always the best policy ;). Was thinking of buying the orange one for sale on here, how does it work at low volumes? I spend most of my time jamming in my bedroom so I don't want to be shaking any windows! For reference I currently have an ashdown LB30 paired with a barefaced compact and have volume set at noon.
[/quote]

It's fine at low volume - the fan isn't intrusive, 'cos it only runs when the going gets tough. Mind, it's probably happier shaking a room :-)

My God though, it's a thing of beauty...

Bought TPJ's R-400 earlier in the week. He very kindly brought it to rehearsals and waited whilst I tried it out. I was expecting to give it a proper going over for quite a while but after one song the rest of the band said 'go and give him the money and turn the bloody thing down!'

That was though a single 8ohm cab. Won't get to try it at 4 ohms until the new year but very very good first impressions.

[quote name='colleya' timestamp='1481922396' post='3196387']
Bought TPJ's R-400 earlier in the week. He very kindly brought it to rehearsals and waited whilst I tried it out. I was expecting to give it a proper going over for quite a while but after one song the rest of the band said 'go and give him the money and turn the bloody thing down!'

That was though a single 8ohm cab. Won't get to try it at 4 ohms until the new year but very very good first impressions.
[/quote]

Yeah - it had that effect on me too :-)

I just picked up on this for the first time via another thread, and my interest is distinctly piqued!

I'm in Sussex (so about as far 'darn sarf' as it's possible to get) ... is there anyone around here (or as far afield as London) who has one of these that I could try?