Why become a member? ×

Hot glue on circuit board

Twincam

I've got a few components that the old spooge has became a bit weak! And a bit of vibration going on.
Is hot glue from a glue gun ok for this or should I use something else???

Is the glue OK to use on caps too?

Cheers

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1460408711' post='3025540']
Hot glue is fine - just be thoughtful where you put it or you'll struggle like hell in the future if you need to remove the component(s).
[/quote]

+1
I don't like using hot melt glue myself as it's a right pain when reworking and rather 'inexact' in application but I can't deny it [u][i]can[/i][/u] do the job pretty well.
But note that the glue sticks are not all equal - some dry really hard and are not that good at adhering to non porous surfaces like PCBs and electronic components. So a bit of trial / error may be needed.

There are specific products made for this application - two part 'Black Tak' and similar - but they do come expensive.

Alternatively you can try a 'Superglue' (again various formulations better at some surface types and combinations than others) and maybe use with an Activator to finish the job quickly. Seems to work well for securing patch wires etc.

Edited by rmorris

I'd use silicone adhesive - but NOT the corrosive stuff. If it smells of acetic acid (sharp vinegar smell) don't use it. It is a bit more flexible than hot glue. Maplins may have some. Commonly used in electronics for holding down caps, preventing vibration damage.

EDIT its a bit like clear bathroom sealant, but the electronics version is non -corrosive. Does not smell when uncured.

Edited by pfretrock

A few caps needed re doing, and a few other little things got a little glue. Noticed the board with the larger components and heatsinks was flexing and making it vibrate so I put something non conductive and relatively heat proof under it, seems to of worked well.