Why become a member? ×

Making a 'nasty' bass sound nice?

operative451

So, quite some time ago now i had a hankering for a Flying V - and i bought one! Yay! A cheapie one off of Gear4Music. At the time i had no 'proper' amp and was still using my Zoom 505. Now i'm a couple of years (blimey time goes fast!) older, have been through a few more bits of kit and... realised my V sounds a bit pants! It's ok, in a METAL sort of way... Its got that kind of loud but sort of flat sound that you get from a metally type guitar, only an octave lower! Its very built for Frash, but it turns out i've got the funk and its really not me. I doubt i'd get much for it if i sold it, and it does play very smoothly. I'm thinking of doing a Project on it, taking it from None More Black goth noise maker, giving it a respray and a vintage V style scratchplate and some less shouty, more melodic pickups.

Naturally i don't want to spend enormous amounts of money. But i'm thinking 'better than you get on a £99 bass' pickups. Its got massive great big huge stingray style jobbies in there at the moment, is there a slightly more subtle version, or should i go mini-humbuckers or J-bass pickups? Or any other ideas?

Thanks, BC hive mind! :D

Plan A: Have you got quality strings at the moment? If not change them. Plan B: Fit a low cost pre amp - Artec. Plan C : Pickups appear to be MM type. If they are the same size (dimensions readily available) wait until some quality MM pickups appear on BC at a good price.

Edited by 3below

Yes to the strings.. :D Pre-amp sounds like a thought, i sort of don't feel right about active but... :D I'm also thinking of giving it a kind of decopunk (like dieselpunk but cleaner - dieselpunk being like steampunk but 1930s/40s not victorian!) makeover with a white paintjob to match my main bass and my guitar, and lots of chrome...

One step at a time.

1 - Setup. (Done already?)
2 - Strings
3 - Pups. There's a great guy I'm Spain hand winds pups and does some custom pups too. I don't know his custom prices, but the standard ones aren't exactly expensive. Jlguitars.com

Thinking 'Back to Basics' -
how does it sound / feel acoustically as in not plugged in ?
What strings are fitted ?
What amp / desk / whatever are you playing through ?
What Control / Switch Settings used / tried ?

From the link you posted I'm not clear why they say it's a slightly shorter scale length as 867mm is more than the 864mm quoted for a standard 34 inch scale ( Do the maths - not math please :-) - and you'll see it's not exact using 1 inch = 25.4mm )

Ooh, thanks! They're pretty but i must admit i don't want to spend that much...! I've just been bouncing around ebay and have a Really Looks a Lot Like A bass filtertron coming for 30 quid... :D I'd guess replacing the pickups like for like would probably be the ones that are about £7.50 a pair so...

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1460411187' post='3025569']
Ooh, thanks! They're pretty but i must admit i don't want to spend that much...! I've just been bouncing around ebay and have a Really Looks a Lot Like A bass filtertron coming for 30 quid... :D I'd guess replacing the pickups like for like would probably be the ones that are about £7.50 a pair so...
[/quote]
Seriously, I'd start with strings. Even if you simply fit some you've been using on another bass where they're about ready for a change.

If you're short of cash and don't have strings to use like that, PM me your address and I'll send you some half decent strings that'll do you for checking. I'm down in Plymouth in a week or 2 maybe I could have a look if you'd like someone to take a look.

Edited by Grangur

It feels - actually really smooth, almost too easy to play! I find myself playing fast lead widdly stuff on it, so that 'playability vs tone' question elsewhere? It wins on playability!

Strings: Ernie ball Power Slinky, the slightly heavier ones.

Acoustically, kind of twangy. Playing through either my pedalboard, or direct, into a Laney RBW300 or Warwick BC15 depending on where i am. Tried all the pickup combinations, it sounds 'best' with both pickups on, the neck one is just loud and dark, the bridge, loud and shrill but goes plasticky and dull if i turn the tone down.

Okay. 'Twangy' sounds food to me for funkish sounds. If happy with Strings I'd look at EQ settings and maybe active preamp next.
Try shortest good quality lead practicable between bass and amp to simulate active preamp response.
Not trying to put you off replacing pickups but that route can be endless tail chase. Having said that I am tempted to try a Nordstrand pickup on an OLP MM2 (at leats until I check my bank account against cost :-)

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1460411187' post='3025569']
[/quote]
Somehow I expect pups for £7.50 will be every bit as bad as the ones you have already, or worse.

WD Music sell the Kent Armstrong one for £43. They're really good. But 2 could be more than you're looking to spend on that bass?

Edited by Grangur

I wasn't actually suggesting buying £7.50 ones.. ;D

I have a plan... We're going art deco rocket ship. One of these pretty things in the neck:

Possibly on a stingray style scratchplate but the other way round and no neck pickup, or with a better stingray type pickup with an old school P-bass style pickup cover over it. I'll have to do some measuring. And resprayed white to match the other bass and guitar, which are er, white...

I blame you lot. I've been reading the build diaries!

Ok, so we have a plan. White respray - prepare for lots of questions like 'can you use T-cut on car paint from halfords or white gloss paint like you'd use on a door?'

That pickup up there in the not quite neck position with the stingray-style pickguard upside-down and covering the hole from the bridge pickup, and possibly a coil tap switch replacing the pickup selector. My not-a-stingray has a bridge pickup and i've always liked the look of 'neck pickup only' jazz boxes, so it seems like a good idea!

I'm considering flatwounds too - i want this to be a thumper!

I'm also going to put an 'ashtray (yuk)' style bridge cover on in chrome for added retro-ness and to cover the current none-more-black one. Right, wait for some bits, get it home (its at my GFs place currently). And we're off to 'Build diaries'!

Hi OP451, there's nothing to stop you using house paint, but prepared for being always being able to see the brush marks.

I've sprayed a few and always used Halfords primer, paint, lacquer.
For the rubbing down get hold of some super-fine sandpaper.
If you get bits in the spray paint, don't always rush for the sandpaper - sometimes you can get rid of such bits by using the back of the sandpaper.
Get a face mask to protect your lungs and take your time.
Yes you can use T-Cut.
Don't expect perfection. If you want perfection take it to a pro-spray shop; like a crash repairers, or French polishers. I once got quoted £100 for spraying a body. On reflection, with paint, sandpaper, time and the better finish, it's probably worth every penny, but don't let me stop you having fun. It is satisfying.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1460897500' post='3029579']
Hi OP451, there's nothing to stop you using house paint, but prepared for being always being able to see the brush marks.

I've sprayed a few and always used Halfords primer, paint, lacquer.
For the rubbing down get hold of some super-fine sandpaper.
If you get bits in the spray paint, don't always rush for the sandpaper - sometimes you can get rid of such bits by using the back of the sandpaper.
Get a face mask to protect your lungs and take your time.
Yes you can use T-Cut.
Don't expect perfection. If you want perfection take it to a pro-spray shop; like a crash repairers, or French polishers. I once got quoted £100 for spraying a body. On reflection, with paint, sandpaper, time and the better finish, it's probably worth every penny, but don't let me stop you having fun. It is satisfying.
[/quote]
Model painters often use old t-shirts for buffing. I bought a pack of micro-mesh a few weeks ago, eight different grade sheets and half of them (the 4,000 to 12,000 grit) are smoother than the cloth backing on them!

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1460922915' post='3029870']

Model painters often use old t-shirts for buffing. I bought a pack of micro-mesh a few weeks ago, eight different grade sheets and half of them (the 4,000 to 12,000 grit) are smoother than the cloth backing on them!
[/quote]

Good point there about the t-shirt, I use them too for T-Cutting. If you use some other cloths you can get scratch marks as you use the T-Cut by the cloth scratching the surface.

Also, with sandpaper, it's worth getting good branded products. The cheaper 'own branded' stuff from Halford or Home base etc, don't last as long.

And, be careful and fussy in the sanding and preparation, it will save you money in paint. It's amazing how dimples and lines in the wood become apparent after the paint goes on.

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1461241370' post='3032785']
New pickups and les paulish pickguard arrived... Picking up the bass to take home this weekend and then its off to build diaries!

Thanks for all the advice!
[/quote]
Cool! Looking forward to seeing it.