Why become a member? ×

SOLD - G&L L1505 5-string USA
£795

JapanAxe

G&L arguably represented the pinnacle of Leo Fender's R&D. If you imagine a Music Man pickup mounted on a Precision body, you are some of the way to describing this bass.

This is a fairly macho instrument - it feels and sounds big and beefy, although it only weighs [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4.33kg / 9lb8½oz. The neck is 44mm wide at the nut and 60mm at the 12th fret. String spacing (centre to centre) at the bridge is 17mm. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have fitted a small shim in the neck pocket to get the action I desired. The current setup is a bit of a compromise - it is quite low, but consequently the B string frets out above about the 15th fret (I never play it that high up!)[/font][/color]

[u]Hardware[/u]
Once adjusted for action and intonation, the bridge is locked in place with an allen screw on the treble side. The strings can be loaded through the body or through the back of the bridge. As the bridge is secured by only 2 large screws, I made a reversible mod that Nepheid of this parish directed me to: I have fitted 5 machine screws into the through-body holes, secured with nuts and washers that sit flush in the ferrules on the rear. They are easily removed if you want to string through-body.
The tuners work without issues.
I have never tried adjusting the truss rod.

[u]Electronics[/u]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The bass sports one monstrous MFD (magnetic field design) pickup with adjustable pole pieces, a volume control, and passive treble and bass controls. There are also 2 switches: one selects series or parallel coils in the pickup; the other brings in the active circuit, which effectively takes the sound of the bass from vintage to modern. Current draw for the circuit is incredibly low - my batteries go out of date rather than running flat![/font][/color]

[u][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sounds[/font][/color][/u]
The overall tonality is fat and authoritative, with a lot of presence. It is currently strung with flats (D'Addario Chromes) and there is no shortage of top end.

[u]Condition[/u]
Well looked after, but there are a couple of noticeable large dings in the black paint finish.

[u]Reason for sale[/u][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] [/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Despite my best intentions, I have only gigged this bass twice in 3 years. I [s]like[/s] love Precisions, so it would make more sense to have another one sitting in my rack :gas:[/color][/font]

[u]Price[/u]
I am looking for [b]£795[/b]. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Collection or meet-up preferred, or I may be able to arrange insured delivery at cost.[/font][/color]

[u][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Trades[/font][/color][/u]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Guitar - Les Paul Junior or Custom, preferably double-cut in TV Yellow or red stain, or quality equivalent (eg Collings DC290)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bass - Fender Precision '57 reissue, or possibly Nate Mendel P or cheaper 'bitsa'[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- with cash either way, depending on model or condition [/font][/color] ;)
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Please PM any trade suggestions, even if not listed above - I can only say no![/font][/color]

[u]Pics[/u]

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1461101250' post='3031566']
So much sexier than a Stingray imo.
[/quote]
Hell yeah! And the active electronics are selectable, so you can carry on playing even without a battery.

Bump for the weekend.

Something else I should mention - there is an audible pop when switching between active and passive. Sometimes it's quite loud, sometimes not, it seems to depend on what amp it's plugged into. Also s small amount of crackl when operating the volume pot, but no crackle when actually playing.

Nate Mendel P added to trades list!

I've had some questions PM'd to me, so for the benefit of anyone who is interested, here they are with my answers:

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. It looks like there is engraved swirling on neck plate of the bass-whats that about it can't be original is it?[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yes it does look like swirling on the neck plate, but it's not - it's just a reflection of the grass in my garden! I have attached an indoor photo taken just now, and you can see the only marking on the neck plate is the stamped G&L logo.[/font][/color]
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Why block up the holes with screws?[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The bass is designed for both top-stringing and through-body stringing. I use flats exclusively, and I didn't want to subject them to the severe break angles that through-body stringing can cause, so I went for top-loading. BC-er Neepheid put me onto [/font][/color][url="http://www.bassesbyleo.com/l2500_bridge_mod.html"]this link[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] warning of the possibility of the 2 bridge screws pulling out of the wood, so I fitted the machine screws. Their purpose is not to block off the holes, but to ensure that the bridge remains firmly attached.[/font][/color]
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. How come it needed a shim and you haven't tried the truss rod?[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Although I set up my own guitars and basses, I am no expert. It looked to me that the neck had the right amount of relief in it, but I couldn't get the action low enough for my light touch, hence the shim. An expert could probably do a much better job![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

I will be travelling between Swindon and Whitby on Saturday 28th May, and making the return journey on Wednesday 1st June. If this might help eith a reluctance to buy unseen, or to be subject to the vagaries of couriers, get PM-ing now!