Why become a member? ×

Looking for a tremolo tempo with tap-tempo function

mcnach

any suggestions?

the simpler the better. I imagine there will be a lot of multiFX pedals out there that can do this but I'm looking for a small pedal that allows to select the rate by tapping a switch easily.

The guitarist in a band I'm with uses his Boss tremolo and his constant fiddling trying to get the rate right is very tiring... the rate has to be right locking with the drums and bass... and adjusting it by tapping would be sooo nice. I just can't suggest a pedal to do that as I have no idea.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1460554449' post='3026757']
Electix MoFX has probably the most versatile Tremolo I've come across - complete with both tap-tempo and MIDI sync.
[/quote]

neither a pedal nor simple! :lol: I nearly choked when I saw the picture of that thing :P

Thank you guys, please keep them coming! :)

There are quite a lot, but some of them are [i]very[/i] spendy. Off the top of my head:

Empress Tremolo
Diamond Tremolo
Suhr Jack Rabbit (has tap tempo and strum tempo)
Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter
Chase Bliss Gravitas (total overkill for your needs by the sound of it)
Line6 Tonecore Tap Tremolo
Cusack Tap-A-Whirl

If you want a cheap one then the best option is probably something like a line6 M5. The tremolo effects on the M5 seem to be very popular and they're very cheap pedals. If you can find a second hand Seymour Duncan that's probably a good choice too.

I have an Empress and its fantastic. Its very simple to operate.

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1460556221' post='3026778']
There are quite a lot, but some of them are [i]very[/i] spendy. Off the top of my head:

Empress Tremolo
Diamond Tremolo
Cusack Tap-A-Whirl

If you want a cheap one then the best option is probably something like a line6 M5. The tremolo effects on the M5 seem to be very popular and they're very cheap pedals. If you can find a second hand Seymour Duncan that's probably a good choice too.

[/quote]

Cool, thanks!

The Line6 looks just perfect, and it's cheap which he would like too :)

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1460614636' post='3027189']
One of the zoom ms range. I've got the 50g and the 60b. Both do it and are single pedal sized.

I just so happen to be selling my ms50g... ahem
[/quote]

I did think of that too, but I thought the tap-tempo function is a little more involved to get at, isn't it?

The Line6 is ideal, 'though. I sent him the link, we'll see. I like the functionality of the Zoom, personally... but for our purposes I think the Line6 is the winner :)

I have a Lovepedal Tremolo which sounds great and has a tap function. The only problem is that the Tap function is 'real time' and doesn't have a doubling or tripling setting - seems a bit pointless really. I hope I've explained that well. As it happens it doesn't matter to me as I'm happy to use it without that Tap option.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1460556145' post='3026774']
neither a pedal nor simple! :lol: I nearly choked when I saw the picture of that thing :P
[/quote]

True but only one quarter of it is the tremolo - you also get a really good tap tempo/MIDI sync Flanger and Delay as well as a rather nasty fuzz/distortion. I haven't come across a better featured tremolo unit in any form factor.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1460632577' post='3027396']

I did think of that too, but I thought the tap-tempo function is a little more involved to get at, isn't it?

The Line6 is ideal, 'though. I sent him the link, we'll see. I like the functionality of the Zoom, personally... but for our purposes I think the Line6 is the winner :)
[/quote]

You don't get a dedicated tap switch.. but you hold the pedal down for two seconds and then tap is engaged. Then you do the same to go back to just being on/off. Would have thought most pedals would be the same.

Plus there's a selection of different delays/slicers and tremelos. All in a boss sized pedal.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1460672843' post='3027847']
I like the look of the Cusack Tap-A-Whirl, nice well thought out feature set, but I've never had one.
[/quote]

If my lottery numbers come up tomorrow a Tap-A-Whirl and a Chase Bliss Gravitas will be in my shopping basket in about 30 seconds flat. The Tap-A-Phase looks similarly fun.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1460645097' post='3027551']
You don't get a dedicated tap switch.. but you hold the pedal down for two seconds and then tap is engaged. Then you do the same to go back to just being on/off. Would have thought most pedals would be the same.

Plus there's a selection of different delays/slicers and tremelos. All in a boss sized pedal.
[/quote]

ah! I had the impression that it was more involved, going through the menus etc. That can definitely work too. :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1460706181' post='3027945']

If my lottery numbers come up tomorrow a Tap-A-Whirl and a Chase Bliss Gravitas will be in my shopping basket in about 30 seconds flat. The Tap-A-Phase looks similarly fun.
[/quote]
I have a Chase Bliss gravitas, Wombtone and Warped Vinyl. All hooked up to the modified midibox. The gravitas and Warped Vinyl are definite keepers, I might move on the Wombtone, but mainly because I don't think a phaser is for me.

The amount of control on all of them is amazing, I'm even thinking of getting a tonal recall next month when it comes out to test against my time factor.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1460556221' post='3026778']

Empress Tremolo
Diamond Tremolo
Cusack Tap-A-Whirl

[/quote]

+1 on the Empress Trem.....simple to use, premium lush sound qualities, nice tweakability and I especially like the square, sine, valve wave forms you can apply. The square wave is so cool going into a filter!

I use the Z.Vex Sonar as my main tremolo as it has some nice features under the hood too.

From choppy to amp-like style.

For something less dramatic, I also use the TC Nova Modulator.

The Z.Vex is a great piece of kit IMHO.

I use a [url="http://solidgoldfx.com/products/stutterbox"]SolidGoldFX Stutterbox[/url] in my pedal chain. It has tap tempo and also expression pedal input, three different waveforms, eight different tremolo patterns and a bunch of other nice parameters.
It's a bit pricey but I really recommend it.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1460632577' post='3027396']

[/quote]

The zoom ms-70-CDR or whatever its called looks great too. Not sure how much of a faff the tap tempo is though. I'd also like it to have more trem models but you can't have everything...