Why become a member? ×

Lightweight tuners, how much difference do they really make?

Guest MoJo

I have a recently acquired Vintage V4MTB, and like most P-basses, it is a tad neck heavy. It doesn't have the horrendous neck dive that my BC Rich Eagle bass used to have, and on my Neotech strap it only gradually slips down during the course of a set. I was toying with the idea of replacing the standard Wilkinson tuners, which I've weighed at 91g each for Gotoh GB640's, which the manufacturer claims are 67g each. Four Gotoh tuners would weigh less than three Wilkinson equivalents. Will the 96g saving be noticable?

I have done exactly the same thing but with a set of OEM tuning keys and now have a set of reverse tuning GB640's on board. I have to say, that I didn't realise it was such a little difference in numbers - I expected the 100g to be a lot more. I have to say though, it does feel noticeable on this bass, but even if it didn't, you'll thank yourself just for the feel of those GB keys! So smooth, no rattles, to slippage.

Try an opposite approach, perhaps..? Hang a suitable 100g weight from a tuner key,and see if any difference can be felt..? A muslin bag with rice in it, or whatever can be cobbled up. If there's a noticeable negative effect, it could be assumed there'd be an equivalent positive effect upon changing the set..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460581829' post='3027090']
Try an opposite approach, perhaps..? Hang a suitable 100g weight from a tuner key,and see if any difference can be felt..? A muslin bag with rice in it, or whatever can be cobbled up. If there's a noticeable negative effect, it could be assumed there'd be an equivalent positive effect upon changing the set..?
[/quote]

Alternatively, hang same bag from the strap pin nearest the bridge. Would that emulate losing the weight from the headstock?

I'm so convinced that they make a difference that I took a drill to my brand new £1500 Sterling. Bought the licenced ones from a seller in the US for about £50

Edited by Delberthot