Why become a member? ×

parametric mids pedal?

Sambrook

Does anybody know of a pedal dedicated to mids? I seem to remember reading a BGM article about a Nathan East pedal, but can't remember details. A quick trawl through t'internet has not revealed any bass oriented mids only pedal.
Is it a hopeless quest?

There was an EWS BMC in the effects for sale forum this morning for very little money...

Edit: Here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/283043-darkglass-b3k-l115-and-ews-bass-mid-control-l45/

Edited by Bigwan

The Yamaha Nathan East NE-1 offers variable EQ curves with different types of mids cut (and boost of other freqs). Not mid boost per se though, if that's what you want.

I've had several EQ pedals (including an Xotic Tri-logic) and none quite matches the 'sweet spot' of the NE-1. Only works on a 9V battery, and it is more of a table top device, not properly a 'pedal' as it is always on.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1460714861' post='3028054']
Surely if it's a parametric pedal the frequency sweep control should cover a big enough range for it not to have to be bass-specific?
[/quote]

Well it's a bass specific forum...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1460907341' post='3029679']
I've just treated myself to a WMD Utility Parametric EQ. I'll let you know how I get on with it. Not just mids though, this is a full Para EQ pedal. YAY!
[/quote]

imo I can't really see justification for a 'Mids only' pedal. You've gone to the trouble of getting a box/pedal/ connectors etc so you may as well get at least high / low shelving EQ in there as well !
The WMD Parametric looks the business.
We wait to hear what you make of it...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1462375994' post='3042522']
Most single band Para EQ's will sweep the full audible range, at least up to about 16hkz, anyway. The only difference in one focussed on mids would be a shorter range on the frequency pot. Any single band para will do, the only advantage you would gain with a shorter range would be finer tuning within that range, but aside from that, a parametric EQ which works on mids is a parametric EQ with the frequency knob set somewhere in the middle. Easy.
[/quote]
The electronics is easier/cheeper if you restrict the range of frequency covered.

David

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1462388588' post='3042670']
That may be the case; Although I'm definitely no electronics engineer I'd imagine it is just a case of using different component values, but I'm ignorant of what's inside the box. As a consumer product it doesn't make as much sense to make one with limited range, hence the large amount of full range ones. Point is that, aside from the sensitivity of the frequency knob, any Parametric EQ will do the job, in my opinion.
[/quote]

You're basically right about the design aspect. There's no real correlation between the frequency range and the cost / complexity of the circuitry. It does occur to me that switchable or variable Q would be a big advantage.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1461142599' post='3031748']
imo I can't really see justification for a 'Mids only' pedal. You've gone to the trouble of getting a box/pedal/ connectors etc so you may as well get at least high / low shelving EQ in there as well !
The WMD Parametric looks the business.
We wait to hear what you make of it...
[/quote]

It's not bad actually. Three bands of Parametric EQ which are pretty wide reaching and of course that all important Q control for each band as discussed above!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1462555282' post='3044047']
I realise I'm already sounding incredibly pedantic in this thread, but I think a parametric EQ will always have control over the Q. Without that it would be semi-parametric, with control over just cut/boost and frequency.

Perhaps the best way to get a mid focussed para would just be to tweak the circuit of a reasonable quality full range one? I'd be useless at that, but for those with the electronic and soldering skills it should be an easy modification.
[/quote]

Yes - you're right. Without a Q control it is really a semi (or is that a two thirds :-?) parametric or what might be called a 'swept mids' EQ.
As a complication Q might be offered as switched between discrete settings (usually just two - Wide or Narrow) or variable on a pot'.
Then you have the issue over whether constant Q is preferred and the definition of Q itself. It can get complicated. I guess we could always rely on our ears :-)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1462740015' post='3045403']
It's not bad actually. Three bands of Parametric EQ which are pretty wide reaching and of course that all important Q control for each band as discussed above!
[/quote]

Just crossed over with Dood's input. Is there an option to switch the outer bands to shelving EQ ?

I love my NE-1 and as stated, not really a pedal but it works superbly aloft the Trace. At the time I was looking for an SM7 EQ pedal but funky Pete said he'd got the Yamaha for sale and that I should try it to see if it did what I wanted. That was about 12 years ago..

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1462740028' post='3045404']

Yes - you're right. Without a Q control it is really a semi (or is that a two thirds :-?) parametric or what might be called a 'swept mids' EQ.
As a complication Q might be offered as switched between discrete settings (usually just two - Wide or Narrow) or variable on a pot'.
Then you have the issue over whether constant Q is preferred and the definition of Q itself. It can get complicated. I guess we could always rely on our ears :-)
[/quote]Trying to get a constant Q adds circuit complexity and in some way can restrict the sound. However a variable Q is a must for a PEQ.

As for shelving controls, they are OK but to my mind the Bass control should have a tail off ( or HPF function) at the lower end and likewise the Treble should tail off before it gets too high. The reason is that so called shelving controls keep going up in level, way past the useful frequencies.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1463087924' post='3048561']
Trying to get a constant Q adds circuit complexity and in some way can restrict the sound. However a variable Q is a must for a PEQ.

As for shelving controls, they are OK but to my mind the Bass control should have a tail off ( or HPF function) at the lower end and likewise the Treble should tail off before it gets too high. The reason is that so called shelving controls keep going up in level, way past the useful frequencies.
[/quote]

I wasn't clear what I meant about 'constant Q'. Yes you do need to be able to vary Q in a real parametric EQ. But what I really thinking of was the difference circuits where the Q can be set independently of gain as opposed to those where the actual Q varies with gain - ie whether the controls are independent or interact.
ime constant Q is vital for room correction / set up with ,say, a 31 band graphic EQ. For creative/musical use with parametric EQ it's a matter of choice and doesn't always sound good/natural as you point out - basically you have to adjust it manually whereas the interactive EQ might have done it for you !

Agree on the EQ. I like to have seperate switchable hi and low pass filters - they can then have steeper curves than the EQ itself - and variable frequencies (asking lots I know - think Iike have something like a high end mixing desk channel in mind - distant memories of a DDA AMR24 desk but in DAW PlugIn World much easier :-)