Why become a member? ×

EUB/DB

Jebo1

My wife is pregnant and were expecting in late September, which is exciting and frightening at the same time.

The DB is in my music room, but I'm pretty sure the baby won't like it, so I'm looking at an electric upright. I like the look of the NS ones, but they're not much like a DB.

I want something I can use that won't ruin my DB technique, but I can play regularly saving the proper DB playing for when my wife and the babber are out.

Basically I don't know what I want, so I'm here asking you guys for some advice!

My babber happily sleeps through my double bass playing, but you may not be as lucky!

My Eminence is very close in feel to a double bass, but not a cheap option. The Aria/Stagg design is close enough to keep finger strength & technique up to scratch, but you will need to amplify them if you want to actually hear the pitch of your note.

As has already been suggested - I'd try a bridge mute and stuffing your sound holes first. It's a lot cheaper....

Hi, I purchased a Aria SWB03 from Fleabay via basschat. It arrived earlier this week. I must say I have been pleasantly surprised at how DB like it is in terms of playability. I've been using it for unplugged practice (for the same reason as you), and it's loud enough to hear what you are playing in a quiet room. My only criticism would be the tubular frame that comes off the back which has a tendency slip. Hope that helps.

DB mutes are available quite cheaply on ebay. A search for "DB / Upright Mute" should find you some
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROUND-2-HOLE-BASS-MUTE-UPRIGHT-STRING-DOUBLE-BASS-/271594845838?hash=item3f3c50768e:g:4SMAAOSw2GlXDxId"]http://www.ebay.co.u...SMAAOSw2GlXDxId[/url]

My first DB was a Stagg EUB. Although I'd definitely recommend these as a starter instrument, especially at the price they go for used. I wouldn't recommend you go down that route. I've tried several EUB's and the best IMHO is the Emminence - I have one, and I really like it. It still feels like a "proper" DB to me, and the unplugged sound is very quiet - if a bit "weak" until you get used to it.

Amplified, and with a bit of EQ'ing they really sound a lot like an acoustic DB - perhaps because they still have an acoustic body which behaves much like their larger cousins? There is also plenty of footage of famous and great players using them live, and I challenge you to close your eyes and not think it's a full bodied Double Bass.

There were one or two Eminence's hanging around on the marketplace here a while back. So keep your eye out, or ask if anyone still has one (it may have been withdrawn). Also, I'm not sure where you're based, but if you're anywhere near South Wales you'd be welcome to come & try mine - or maybe there's another Basschat member near you who is willing to let you have a try of their Eminence? Worth asking....

I've heard some good reports & sound files of the Yamaha Silent bass in use - also sounds good to me, although like the Stagg, they're more of a stick bass with no acoustic body / chamber. Good luck with your search
But most of all, don't worry - parenthood IS frightening, but you get by somehow - my lad is soon to be 24 :o
and in fact, it was him who got me playing again after an absence of over 20 years

Edited by Marc S

I have a Yamaha SLB 200 (silent bass) and it has a "hollow body" according to Yamaha.Although the hollow part is quite small it affects the sound a lot since the bridge is actually on the hollow part.It is audible when not plugged in but hard to hear in anything other than a very quiet environment but using an amp and earphones it's great.
Although a lot of people don't like the SLB 200 it works for me-with stock strings and pickups and running straight(or with a DI box) into an amp or PA.With some patience and careful use of the tone and volume controls on the instrument I get a pretty convincing upright sound-yes,I know it isn't the same as a real DB but the size and convenience are perfect for my needs.
I had a Stagg and it had a built in phone jack but overall the SLB is a much better(and much more expensive!) instrument.