Why become a member? ×

Markbass F500?

barneyg42

If some money promised comes through soon and it's still available I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. I play in a classic rock band and occasionally dep in a funk/soul group. I'm looking to go ultra lightweight (getting old and knackered) with a 4ohm (probably Barefaced) cab. Any thoughts on these little amps? Is the parametric mid good?
TIA!!

Ive got the F1 head and i would say its a bit sterile/bland. The F1 and F500 are not the same sounding as the LM series, which do sond more organic to me.

Ive gigged my F1 for about 4 years, and to be honest ive always found putting a pre amp like a BDDi/VTBass etc in front makes a huge difference to its tone. Just a slight warming up makes a nice difference.
I actually prefer sound of my F1 over my old LMKII and SA450. It seems to have a cleaner and faster low end.

Ive always wanted a F500, so typically one came up on here about a week after i got a new GK MB800 :-(

I owned an F500 for a while and found the parametric mid controls difficult to set as they are so small and the line on the control knobs almost invisible in all but the best light conditions. Power wise it couldn't drive my Bergantino HT112ER and EX112ER loud without tripping out which is a major ball ache on a gig. This and the F1 were markbass first 500w class d power heads and were discontinued relatively quickly. The new LM3 uses a new class d power section which in my opinion sounds much warmer than the F series. If you want the same class d power amp in a smaller format it is in the Big Bang head which offers a few more facilities. Personally I prefer the class ab markbass heads but if I wanted a 500w class d markbass head it would be the LM3.

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1460719738' post='3028134']
I have a Markbass LM2. I certainly wouldn't describe it as sterile - so it's not a feature of the whole range, but maybe just the F500.
[/quote]

Me neither or the SA450 for that matter but the older LM2/3 and SA450 are Class A/B heads and the F1/500 are Class D, (as is the LM3 now).
I've never get on with Class D and I used an LM2 in a rock band whilst also playing in a Soul/Funktion band. Did both jobs a treat.

Hmm, tough one,I don't tend to use any grit with my sound so the F500 sounded ideal but if it has trouble pushing a power hungry cab (ie Barefaced) then maybe an LM2 would be better! I've also been eyeing up the TC RH750, I use a BH500 currently so know the system quite well, foot switchable presets are tempting me though!!

The F1 has no problem whatsoever making itself heard. I've run mine through a BF Super12T at gigs and rehearsals and can't get the master over 3 without things falling off the walls. It is a clean amp, but the VPF control will add colour to it without it going all barky.

By a lucky co-incidence, mine is up for sale on here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/283291-markbass-f1/ ;)

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1461321732' post='3033627']Hmm, tough one,I don't tend to use any grit with my sound so the F500 sounded ideal but if it has trouble pushing a power hungry cab (ie Barefaced)[/quote]

The only 'power hungry' cabs we ever made were possibly the original Big One and the original Big Baby. Even then its debatable whether they were. The rest are all very efficient for their size and that amp will be plenty for most players.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1461325791' post='3033686']

The only 'power hungry' cabs we ever made were possibly the original Big One and the original Big Baby. Even then its debatable whether they were. The rest are all very efficient for their size and that amp will be plenty for most players.
[/quote]

Thanks Alex! I'll bear this in mind.

• 3 weeks later...