Why become a member? ×

Alannah Myles, Black Velvet

Malcspring1

Hey folks,
Have just been having a dabble with this, but I am struggling a bit with it and hopefully someone can put me straight. I have a pretty good ear and it sounds like the bass is tuned down. I have a 5 string and have been playing along with it, but I am still not sure. Especially the little bass riff at 20 seconds. One of my guitarist buddies has worked it out and he has told me what the notes are, but it is all Greek to me. I work better using tab and I have looked on the net and the ones I have found don't seem to work out. If anyone knows the correct tab for that little riff then I should be able to work the rest out.
Thanks peeps. :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1460722160' post='3028167']
It's played on a keyboard on the original.
[/quote]

Yep. So there's not going to be an "original" tab. I'd take the notes and play them where it's most comfortable. If necessary sit with the guitarist and ask him to show you what he worked out.

Time to wheel out my usual 'Black Velvet' story. Back in the day, I was in a covers band with a lot of seasoned musos. Not having a 5-string, they insisted I tune down. 'OK' says I.

At every gig and every rehearsal, I pretended to detune, and just played it at the octave. No-one ever noticed.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1460978266' post='3030262']
Time to wheel out my usual 'Black Velvet' story. Back in the day, I was in a covers band with a lot of seasoned musos. Not having a 5-string, they insisted I tune down. 'OK' says I.

At every gig and every rehearsal, I pretended to detune, and just played it at the octave. No-one ever noticed.
[/quote]

And that, your Honour, is why I'll never bother with a 5...it's up there with my 'No-One Noticed I Was Playing A 12-String' story... :D

Edited by Muzz

The little riff you are talking about is
5th fret on D string, 5th fret on A string, open E. 4th fret D string, 4th fret A string, open E
5th fret A string, 2nd fret A string, 5th fret A string.
Continue open E string shuffle groove.
If you're playing along to the original, detune your E to an Eb and move fretted notes down a fret (5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd etc)

• 3 weeks later...

Play it in Eb .... must be loads of Youtubes on it..?
The hardest part is working out what the drummer thinks the part is....,..

For example, this is 'wrong' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnC6Sfqz6Hc

but if your drummer played it like that, you should be able to make it work.

Depends if you want the bass driving it..or the drums.
The former is harder, but it is a classic part so you have to pull it off.

Edited by JTUK

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 18/04/2016 at 15:29, chardbass said:

The little riff you are talking about is
5th fret on D string, 5th fret on A string, open E. 4th fret D string, 4th fret A string, open E
5th fret A string, 2nd fret A string, 5th fret A string.
Continue open E string shuffle groove.
If you're playing along to the original, detune your E to an Eb and move fretted notes down a fret (5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd etc)

Wrong

If playing in Eb, then you don't move the  little riff down to the 4th / 3rd etc

The sequence then, for Eb little riff is below :

5th fret on D string, 5th fret on A string, open E string.............. 4th fret D string, 4th fret A string, open E string
The last bit  may be easier to play  A string 5th fret, E string 7th fret, A string 5th fret, A string 7th fret

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2018 at 17:54, fleabag said:

Wrong

If playing in Eb, then you don't move the  little riff down to the 4th / 3rd etc

The sequence then, for Eb little riff is below :

5th fret on D string, 5th fret on A string, open E string.............. 4th fret D string, 4th fret A string, open E string
The last bit  may be easier to play  A string 5th fret, E string 7th fret, A string 5th fret, A string 7th fret

Your example involves detuning all the strings down a half step. 

My example, as I mentioned, is just detuning the E string a half step to an Eb so the fingerings are correct in that instance. 

• 1 month later...