Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Bash?

bassace

Is there any interest in a double bass bash this year. We had a good one three years ago at the Risley Park Hotel, Derby, not far from M1 Junction 25. I appreciate that this may not suit everyone but it is as central as there is, except if you live in Scotland perhaps. All welcome, including those new to DB and those considering taking the instrument up for the first time.

At the moment the first three Sundays in October are free, 2nd, 9th and 16th.

What do we think?

I'm feeling it. It cannot possibly have been three years ago.

What would people like to see happening in it?

I would love to have a tame luthier on hand to tweak and advise and stuff. I guess this could be funded by each individual paying whatever their fee was for the time spent with them. Dunno, just thinking.

Would be great to try the feel of other strings members use to save me forking out a kidney just to try other makes ?
Would love to hear some other pickups too!

Sounds like a great opportunity to me as up to now i have zero point of reference on the gear i use !

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1460993269' post='3030469']
What she said. Just been through this with bows - and the bow I had wasn't cheap
[/quote]

I played with a really good bow once. I had to step away very quickly.

So, we are going for Oct 2nd. What do people want to see happening? Apart from looking at more DB kit in one place than aywhere else in the UK, obviously.

I am thinking possible short workshops on stuff like intro to Jazz (big topic), intro to Classical, using a bow, intro to Rockabilly. No more than 15 minutes a pop really. This kind of thing after lunch and before lunch wondering around playing different strings/amps etc etc etc. What else? It will be what we make it to be.

Perhaps my luthier idea further up the page would be too time consuming.

I've pinned the DB bash thread Owen added to the Events forum; up to you guys if you'd like to use that thread for a list of attendees and gear or if you'd like to leave it there as a marker and continue here.

If Happy Jack and I can make it - and it looks doable as things currently stand - I'll bring cameras etc. and write the usual megablog. :)

I don't think any of you would be interested in a lefty NS NXT 5-stringer, so i'm guessing I'll be the DB-less visitor salivating over your big, unwieldy wooden babies and plucking strings at random with the 'wrong' hand... :lol: :rolleyes: :gas:

Edited by bluejay

No gigs on the weekend of October 2nd so colour me officialy interested.

Gear wise I'll bring my Musima bass with Krivo magnetic pickup, EA Doubler, a handful of preamps and my BigE MA45 cabinet.
Could also bring my Eminence EUB if anyone is interested in that sort of thing?

Edited by TheRev