Why become a member? ×

Elec or Acou

joey1234

The best advice I can give is to think of them as two entirely different instruments. Try both and see which you prefer, but as a beginner I'd say learn to play double bass, then playing EUB (electric upright bass) will be relatively easy. Double bass is fab, you'll love it

Acoustic all the way!
Frankly imo, there's a more practical electric alternative to a double bass called a bass guitar.
It's an expensive instrument, mind, buying one is nothing like buying a bass guitar but there's lots of info on basschat about looking for one. Buying used is the way to go anyway.

The decision of whether to buy an electric upright (EUB) or double bass (DB) doesn't really have anything to do with being a beginner - you don't start on a EUB and then progress to a DB and it isn't necessarily 'easier' to play an EUB than a DB. As mentioned earlier, they're different beasts, one isn't a gateway to the other

If you want to learn to play double bass, then get a double bass.

However, if you want to learn to play double bass but you don't have room in your house/you don't have any way of transporting it to gigs/you can't afford a double bass, then you can compromise with an EUB, but you will, in all probability still want to get a DB within about six months.

I started out on EUB (Aria and then in Eminence) because I convinced myself that I needed one as I lived in a 3rd floor flat and I was playing at loads of little acoustic sessions all over the city, so having something compact and portable was a priority. However, I was always chasing 'that' DB sound, even though the Eminence gets very close and there wasn't a punter that could tell the difference. Once I actually got a DB I got used to carrying it around and made space in the flat, etc.

I still have my EUB but it only gets played at the occasional rehearsal or gig where I'm limited on space in the car or on stage.

What TheRev said. I started on bass guitar, played fretless for bla!bla! years then bought an EUB. It was fine, I played it and loved it and TheRevs right not many punters would be able to tell the difference but I could and I knew I had to have a DB.
A sort of compromise occurred when I got my first DB, a half size Boosey Hawkes Excelsior. Easier to transport than a 3/4 or 4/4 but a great improvement on the EUB and it had the look and sound.
Thats the one that got me hooked and I never looked back. I'm a few more DBs down the road now, bought and sold, broken, fixed up, new fingerboard's, bridges, split's cracks and repairs, all done by myself in the shed......Hours of fun, Ha!
Oh and don't forget the Strings and Pickups and Amps and Speakers. It might have been cheaper to develop a full blown crack habit.
I'm still in love with the damned thing though. Acoustic every time, GO FOR IT!