Why become a member? ×

Spraying nitro over poly, will it work?

mr.noisy

Hey guys, so i have recently bought a super cheapo bass, here is the link to NBD thread with pictures - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/282094-nbd-jd-jazz-bass-vintage-1975-sonic-blue/
Since it was so cheap, I'd like to make it a little project. A while ago I had a AV64 jazz bass finished in nitro and I loved the feel and the fact that it was aging so nice in a short period of time. Now, I'd like to emulate a bit of that on this new bass, but I am not a pro. I guess that the bas I have is finished in polyurethane or polyester or something else that is super cheap and I'd like to spray an amber or clear nitro over the neck and body, or maybe clear/amber on the neck and some nice colour on the body, but I don't want to ruin it completely, so I need a little advice.
I don't want to strip the bass from the current finish, I don't have correct tools and don't want to invest in them just for this little project, so I am wondering if I will sand the clear coat lightly on neck and body and then try to apply nitro over it, will it work? I will order the nitro in spray cans from northwestguitars.co.uk
I was doing some reading on the topic and googled here and there, I know that after the final coats there should be a polishing process too, but is it absolutely necessary? I don't want my bass to look super shiny and I am looking for vintage and maybe even light relic finish.

Yep Twincam is correct. Fenders "nitro finishes" are actually nitro over poly. So yes, it'll work, just give it a light sanding with 600 paper first and throughly degrease it.

Regarding the polishing/wetsanding, yes you will need to. It's a necessity unfortunately. When you're finished spraying you'll have a textured finish which needs levelling (wet sanding) then buffed to your desired sheen. It'll most likely look way below anything acceptable before that process. Make sure you give it a very minimum of 2 weeks (longer is better) before doing this though.

Edited by Manton Customs

... I did vehicle refinishing at college as part of my studies there and nitro cellulose was one of the easiest finishes to achieve a good result with. The spray finish doesn't have to be particularly good as it's easy to finish well. For a bass body sized area you can finish easily by hand absolutely no problems!