Why become a member? ×

Anyone using a boss gt100?

lefrash

My mate has a gt100 for guitar, and to me it sounds immense. I'm not currently in a band so was thinking about picking one up for home noodling for both bass and guitar. There seems to be a lot of love for it on talkbass, but not a lot on here.

So, is anyone out there using it as their main bass effects? I would definitely want an amp sim/cab sim as a base sound but I'm not one for changing amp sims all the time. I accept that they will generally be tuned for guitar use but talkbass chaps say that the basic clean tube amps sound great on bass.
Any thoughts anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lefrash - one of my guitarist uses the GT100 - and yes it does sound incredible.

I use the GT10 (guitar version) for my main rig. It has exactly the right sounds that i need and is great for playing live.

I don't use any of the the sim's or preamps - just the effects - which you could argue is a little overkill - but the effects alone are fantastic.

You can pick them up quite reasonable 2nd hand... :)

[quote name='Swijn' timestamp='1462273218' post='3041570']
Hi Lefrash - one of my guitarist uses the GT100 - and yes it does sound incredible.

I use the GT10 (guitar version) for my main rig. It has exactly the right sounds that i need and is great for playing live.

I don't use any of the the sim's or preamps - just the effects - which you could argue is a little overkill - but the effects alone are fantastic.

You can pick them up quite reasonable 2nd hand... :)
[/quote]

Hi mate, I've heard it on guitar...and it sounds Awesome. I went to an Alex hutchings clinic... He showed exactly what the thing could do... Jaw dropping!

However... On bass I would want to use amp sims (and cab sims). Pretty much one clean sounding amp. On talk bass there's a good bit of interest in it.... But almost none on here!

I really love my zoom ms60b as a preamp but I miss having a selection of other bits to play with. Even the gt10b seems a touch limiting compared to the gt100

The GT100 will certainly give you the flexibility you need. Im not sure the 100 is a huge step up from the 10 in terms of effects - although the dual-screen is nice to work with. I think you'd definitely get more from the 100 (or 10) than the 10B.

Both the 100 and 10 run dual channels with two selectable pre-amps. Plenty of sims onboard - all completely editable even down to the very mic you wish to use & the distance away from the desired cab it is..!

To be honest, i have barely scratched the surface with my GT-10 - but its nice knowing that it has the capabilities should i need too...!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='skampino' timestamp='1464616538' post='3060806']
Of course you might get away with using some parts of a GT100 for bass but bearing in mind it was designed for guitar a GT10B would be better.
[/quote]

I read on the boss forum ( I think.I'll find the link) that the GT 001 can be used for bass, vocals and keys...this was from somebody from Boss... seeing as the 001 is the no pedals version of the GT100 I feel reassured...also the fella that does the GT editor recons it sounds a lot better than the GT10B...
However I really hope Boss include some bass amps in thier next update for the GT100 and GT001....or dare I say it...a GT 100B!!!!

Edited by hookys6stringbass

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' timestamp='1465052031' post='3064977']
I read on the boss forum ( I think.I'll find the link) that the GT 001 can be used for bass, vocals and keys...this was from somebody from Boss... seeing as the 001 is the no pedals version of the GT100 I feel reassured...also the fella that does the GT editor recons it sounds a lot better than the GT10B...
However I really hope Boss include some bass amps in thier next update for the GT100 and GT001....or dare I say it...a GT 100B!!!!
[/quote]
The GT-001 only has amps and effects of the GT-100 Version 2.0 which is designed for guitar, although the XLR mic input can be used for vocals or acoustic instruments. Note: no mention of bass. While some may utilise the effects of the GT100 and the GT editor guy may suggest it for a bass guitar, it is a guitar fx processor and does not have bass amps in its menu.
Let's hope Roland do give us the GT100B sooner rather than later!

[quote name='skampino' timestamp='1465469618' post='3068487']
The GT-001 only has amps and effects of the GT-100 Version 2.0 which is designed for guitar, although the XLR mic input can be used for vocals or acoustic instruments. Note: no mention of bass. While some may utilise the effects of the GT100 and the GT editor guy may suggest it for a bass guitar, it is a guitar fx processor and does not have bass amps in its menu.
Let's hope Roland do give us the GT100B sooner rather than later!
[/quote]

The general consensus on talkbass though suggests that although they are not 'bass' specific, the cleanish amp sims are very good on bass, as are the other effects. However I don't think I've ever seen or heard anyone in the UK using one on bass. And on the lack of responses on this thread, I'm guessing not alot of basschatters use one.

To be honest, my requirements have changed a bit since I posted this so I dont see me getting one any time soon anyway... but its still something i would think about rather than getting a dedicated bass unit.