Why become a member? ×

Victor Wooten, on full groove.

bubinga5

This is just mind bending groove when the drummer starts playing.. detailed bass playing from a true master of our instrument. You know what though i still prefer Marcus Miller or Meshell ndegeocello. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVQEe8OI3zk[/media]

BUT when he plays as well as this my ears are open. his 2 part playing on Earth Wind and Fire's Cant Hide Love. its just fabulous.!! some of the best bass playing I've ever heard. The great thing about Victor Wooten. his playing is just flawless, there are no little mistakes.. you couldn't get a rizla paper between his groove. He reminds me of Stephane Grappelli a lot, he was another stickler for absolute perfection in his playing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03KHvXaBZg[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

It's really funny, I'm always incredibly impressed with Wooten's playing, precision and his technical mastery of the instrument but I've still never heard any of his solo playing that's really moved me on an emotional level (unlike, say, Abe Laboriel's solo stuff which shares a lot of similar elements). One of those players I've tried hard to like/love but just never managed to. I always kinda feel like I ought to but it just never happens.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1460846189' post='3029335']
It's really funny, I'm always incredibly impressed with Wooten's playing, precision and his technical mastery of the instrument but I've still never heard any of his solo playing that's really moved me on an emotional level (unlike, say, Abe Laboriel's solo stuff which shares a lot of similar elements). One of those players I've tried hard to like/love but just never managed to. I always kinda feel like I ought to but it just never happens.
[/quote]thats why i love the second vid, its so musical what he plays. imo

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1460846189' post='3029335']
[/quote]

He's got a couple of gems from his solo albums but ,for me, Victor's best work is with the Flecktones where he's very much a bass player in a band as well as a virtuoso musician showing off his best chops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tq7Bm6IM-g

Edited by Cato

Did a showcase with him in Nashville at the Exit Inn waaaay back in the Flecktones days. He showed up with a cello he had bought the week previous.
Damned if he didnt play it on one tune for the lady he was working for.. and absolutely nailed it.
Alright he was playing in the Wooten Brothers Band at the age of 9 months or something ridiculous, but you have to hand it to the man - Flea claimed to be the big bad bassoptamus, but Vic Wooten IS in my opinion.
And he is a real nice guy.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1460871782' post='3029397']
He's got a couple of gems from his solo albums but ,for me, Victor's best work is with the Flecktones where he's very much a bass player in a band as well as a virtuoso musician showing off his best chops.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tq7Bm6IM-g[/media]
[/quote]

Ha Ha. Bela just floors me every time I hear him.
Lovely nod to Miles on this track.

I know VW tends to get a panning on this site, but for me he does it.

For those who haven't read (or heard) "The Music Lesson" he is also a great writer. The book gives an insight to the workings of the man's brain and how he thinks about music. One of things that really blew my mind was how he "plays space" - leaving room for the brain to fill in even though no notes are being played. I know that most of us do this naturally but would you have listed it as being as important as "playing notes"??

I managed to get my copy signed at a Hartke seminar at DV247....it's a keeper.

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1460871782' post='3029397']

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tq7Bm6IM-g
[/quote]

True, as a Flektone acting as a band member/sides man his playing is a different kettle of herring altogether.

Love Victor for the simple reason that he has no inhibitions, restrictions or boundaries to what he does, or attempts with a bass guitar. He has an extremely fertile imagination as well as a mountain of talent. Sure, he's gained a reputation as a show pony, but so what? Put him in any context and he'd be able to absolutely nail it. He is also, by all accounts a very genuine, humble and generous man.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1460965688' post='3030102']
Love Victor for the simple reason that he has no inhibitions, restrictions or boundaries to what he does, or attempts with a bass guitar. He has an extremely fertile imagination as well as a mountain of talent. Sure, he's gained a reputation as a show pony, but so what? Put him in any context and he'd be able to absolutely nail it. He is also, by all accounts a very genuine, humble and generous man.
[/quote]

Fully agree with everything above.
I studied with him a couple of years ago at one of the camps and he's incredibly lovely and very accessible for anything you want to know!

Si

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1460956807' post='3030046']
Talented guy, but not relevant to me. I'm restricted to the greats from my generation. McCartney Joco, Prestia, Graham, Chuck Rainy, Weeks etc..

Blue
[/quote]

He's a bass player. You're a bass player. In what way is he not relevant? :huh:

All of us can learn something from anyone else.

Open your ears and open your mind dude! :)

Talented guy, but not relevant to me. I'm restricted to the greats from my generation. McCartney Joco, Prestia, Graham, Chuck Rainy, Weeks etc..

Blue
[/quote]

Why are you restricted? Is that self imposed?

I get why it's not to everyones taste, the triplets and general flashiness etc.
But that's often in a setting when he is being asked to sell something or show something off.
If you can do all the flash stuff, there's a very good chance you can sit in the groove.
Vic can do that too. Unbelievably talented player

VW is an amazing musician and one of the few around pushing the boundaries of our instrument. We usually see him in full slap/tech/circus mode in a solo, bass clinic environment but that's not the whole story. He shines in the Flecktones, gigs with Herbie Hancock and when I saw him, said that he was sad that he didn't usually get called for regular bass work because he enjoys just laying down grooves.

Keb Mo must have been listening. He used VW on his Relfections album. Brilliant playing.

I love his playing within a band setup. I also love a lot of his YouTube clips showing off his chops etc... However I really hate the mega fast slapping he does! Technique wise it's flawless.. But musically it sucks big sweaty donkey balls.... IMO.

Blue
[/quote]

😂😂😂😂😂😂