Why become a member? ×

Through body strings for 35" Lakland 55-01 (5 string bass)

SiriusBlack

[quote name='SiriusBlack' timestamp='1460931652' post='3029982']

thanks. have you the exact info please?
[/quote]

Not to hand.

I do have a spare pack at home though. I'll dig it out and be more specific tomorrow.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1460933551' post='3029993']
Why do you want to do that?

I tried stringing through the body and not on my US Lakland and I didn't hear or feel much difference between either way.
[/quote]

i guess i just wanted to try the difference between the two.

[quote name='SiriusBlack' timestamp='1460981758' post='3030327']
i guess i just wanted to try the difference between the two.
[/quote]
IMO it's one of those differences that only some people can hear and maybe then only in the studio. On a stage standing next to a drummer I'm not sure there'll be any appreciable difference.

As far as I've read the are some sets of La Bella Flatwounds that they recommend you don't string through the body. Some La Bella flats you can. Which isn't surprising as the original P bass only had the option of stringing through the body and there were only flat wound strings in the 50's. The La Bella's are labelled so you can tell which is which.

All round wound strings can be strung through the body.

cheers Chris. i need to know which are long enough to fit a 55-01 which is 35" scale and also more than an inch for through body as compared to the other way.

i don't want to buy a "normal" 5-string set only to find out they don't fit. i read that for 55-01, strings must be 38" winding, but I am not sure which once are and which once aren't.

thnx anyway. cheers

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1460989820' post='3030423']
Standarad D'Addario Longscales are indeed too short (I have a Lakland 35" 55-60)
[/quote]

Yup!

Mine is wearing XL Nickel Wound 130 - 45 Super Long, and they fit fine. In terms of tone difference I have no idea. It had these strings, through the bridge when I got it and sounded great, so I replaced like for like on the basis of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

What have you got on it at the moment. If you measure the string length from the ball end to the nut that should give you an idea of the length you'll need. I use D'addario nickel wound super long scale on my fretless, which is also 35 " and through body. Different manufacturers will likely have slightly different lengths for their" long scale" strings

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1460994534' post='3030482']
Yup!

Mine is wearing XL Nickel Wound 130 - 45 Super Long, and they fit fine. In terms of tone difference I have no idea. It had these strings, through the bridge when I got it and sounded great, so I replaced like for like on the basis of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
[/quote]

I'd also recommend the D'Addario Nickels Super Longs, the exact model is EXL170-5SL (gauges 45/65/80/100/130). I have 3 Laklands 5's and they are consistently good on all of them - great clarity, consistent tone and tension, long lasting. They're also pretty readily available from a few UK eBay sellers for about £25 a set. Lakland's own brand Nickel Mediums are quite nice too, although not as bright as the D'Addarios, and much harder to get hold of (gauges 45/65/85/105/128).