Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop?

CamdenRob

Strangely, I'd be the opposite. If I was spending that much money, and knowing what they offer, I'd be wanting to order my exact spec.

As I understand it you do it through a custom shop dealer and you fill in a build sheet which details all the options, some of which are only available as master built rather than team built.

There's a thread somewhere on Talkbass about it, and a PDF of the build sheet, which runs to several pages. Presumably the quotation you get is for UK prices.

Haven't done it myself but have thought about it.

There's a spec sheet available here if you fancy a gander! (though it's from 2014 so who knows how accurate it is now)
http://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/buy-custom-made-fender-custom-shop-guitar

I was toying with the idea myself for a J with an early 70's P neck but having just seen that lefties can only be masterbuilt and at an additional cost of £1700 for MB I guess I'll just keep dreaming/praying for a lottery win! :P

Personally, I would go out there and play whats in stock with Custom Shop dealers. I'm quite reluctant these days to buy/order anything unseen based on what's written on the end of the piece of wood, but the CS stuff can vary widely, not just in tone, but in out of the box set up capability too. I have just sold my CS '64 Jazz which is a fantastic bass - exactly what CS guitars are supposed to be about. I played an identical one which sounded VERY different, and also had pretty horrendous action with the bridge almost slammed to the deck and the neck pretty straight.. I've played others too side by side, which were varied, as most basses are, but you get my point.

Chiliwailer on here has lots of knowledge of where to go, and even the odd bass he may be able to find - he's pretty into the CS stuff. So you could pick his brains if nothing is out there at the moment.

I know CODA music, stock CS stuff here, GuitarGuitar in Birmingham had loads of P basses when I went in there a few weeks ago and they have shops nation wide which they can ferry basses between if you are interested.

I would go out and play what's on home soil, ready built and finished, and see if you can find what you are looking for. I wouldn't feel too confident ordering one to be built for me, but that's just my experience. Good luck in your hunt, they can be fantastic and the necks with the relic attention really feel amazing.

I owned a Custom Shop Masterbuilt Bass for a short time before I moved it on. I was so disappointed in the instrument and I am a Fender fan. Don't get me wrong it was a nice bass but in my opinion the quality of workmanship was no better than the excellent American Standard offering. However, there is a significant difference in price between the two. The CS bass just didn't do it for me. I have come to the conclusion that the Custom Shop is over-hyped. The only advantage I can see is getting a bass the exact way you want it. However, in saying that I have just purchased a Jazz Bass which has been put together by a guitar builder in this country from Fender parts. The quality is superb and all at a fraction of the cost of a CS instrument. If I was wanting another bass built to my spec I certainly won't be paying CS prices.

It's easy Rob, just order through a CS dealer, I'd personally use Crispin at Regent Sounds, and the quoted price is VAT and duty included. But a team built one would be less hands on with customer service than you'd have most likely go with your Wals. It's been a while since I checked in, but when you go Masterbuilt I'm pretty sure you can have contact with the builder, though limited of course as they are popular.

In response to Fingerz post above: I'm a fan of CS basses, and have had my hands on between 25 and 30, if not more, in the past 3 years. Before that I worked for Fender and elsewhere as a CS dealer... so I've played a few ;) I'm not going to say they are amazing, the dogs danglies and be an obsessed fan boy. Though I am a fan and see their place in the world. Some have been better than others, two have had neck issues and one or two have been pretty awful. But the others were excellent, and about 3 maybe 4 exceptionally good. As the retail prices are very high, it'd have to be a rarer exceptional one for me to pay full retail. As for master built, the cost of a new one is way too high for me to consider anyway, but I get why people get a huge kick out of ordering and owning them.

As with any bespoke make, builder etc, you never know what you'll get till you get it. I'd presume that the odds of getting just an average one are raised with a CS team built than a smaller maker. But that's just common sense init? ;)

In view of Chilliw's which is from the view point of many examples, I'll say that I don't think they are worth the money.

I'd have far far FAR more faith that a custom builder like Sei and probably Overwater would make a far better bass
in almost every regard for ball park same money.
I'm baulking at a Sei J5 build only because of the lead-in time but I know MP will make a great bass ..and it will almost be a work of art... which is a factor, IMO..at these prices.

My Custom shop is a plank by comparison... but I hope to get my money back if/when I sell.
It is a bass I like, but will never love... but the truth is you only really know what you have got once it is built.

For me, with about £3k to spend..I'd go new Sei, or AC..but you still have to find the right one...so I'd be seeking them out to play.

BassD have nice Lull's, ..or did when I was there...and BassG will have loads of enticing basses.
The Gallery is also worth a visit... but I would definitely be visiting and checking them out and wouldn't be buying on spec unless the price was VERY keen.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460968550' post='3030139']
How does it work?

Do you have to order through a dealer or direct?

Presumably the prices all have vat and import duty on top?

Thanks chaps :) not buying anything, just weighing up some options :)
[/quote]

Last time I heard, ANY Fender CS authorised dealer in the UK could only acquire their dealership by buying in a minimum of 10 models. In most cases, these would be taken up by a majority of guitars with maybe a couple of basses for good measure.

I tried the new Journeyman CS Jazz not so long ago. It was beautifully finished and the attention to detail was actual very good. However, from an enjoyment, feel or sound point of view, I don't think it was any better than my old MIJ '62 jazz... Or my Geddy for that matter.

If it was my money, I think id probably get a Sadowsky before a Fender CS.

Edited by skej21

• 1 month later...

If you go to a UK luthier and specify exactly want you want, you're more likely to get that precise requirement. There are plenty of great guitar builders I this country and the advantage is, if it's not exactly right they'll probably put it right . You may also get the pleasure of watching it develop at various stages in the workshop, how cool would that be. I expect most luthiers know how to build a p or j clone.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1464018527' post='3055789']
How custom is the Fender Custom Shop? For instance could I order a 5-string long-scale Starcaster bass in CAR with a CAR neck?
[/quote]

If you've got deep enough pockets or big enough profile for it to be worth their while...

If you had that as a signature bass though, I'd buy one - sounds wonderful!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1464018527' post='3055789']
How custom is the Fender Custom Shop? For instance could I order a 5-string long-scale Starcaster bass in CAR with a CAR neck?
[/quote]

I would think there are custom options to a standard build.
I have a custom shop and wanted the spec from Fender.

The list details custom options on things like neck profile, but scale lenght..? I don't think so.
The custom offerings seem pretty narrow, IMV.

However, write to Fender for custom 'options... to confirm.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1464035480' post='3056040']

I would think there are custom options to a standard build.
I have a custom shop and wanted the spec from Fender.

The list details custom options on things like neck profile, but scale lenght..? I don't think so.
The custom offerings seem pretty narrow, IMV.

However, write to Fender for custom 'options... to confirm.
[/quote]

I seem to remember that you can specify almost anything you want if you pay for a master builder. Check out Tye Zamora's Fender as an example, it's pretty out there!

I bet the spec above would cost £10k+ at a minimum, would be dead cool though!

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1464036342' post='3056051']
I seem to remember that you can specify almost anything you want if you pay for a master builder. Check out Tye Zamora's Fender as an example, it's pretty out there!
[/quote]

That's the Alien Ant Farm bass? That's only "pretty out there" because he got Fender to make something that was a long way out of their comfort zone and IMO it shows.

For me the whole point of picking a luthier or manufacturer to make your custom instrument is because they are already making something similar, hence my request above.

However I've just had a look at the current [url="http://wpc.077d.edgecastcdn.net/00077D/custom_shop/quote_guide/2015/2015%20Fender%20Custom%20Shop%20Order%20Form%20(rev%20ii).pdf"]Quote Sheet[/url] and the options are pretty limited. It might be possible to have something like a long scale 5-string Starcaster Bass as a Masterbuilt option but there doesn't seem to be any way of finding out for sure. In the end it would probably be simpler to buy a standard Starcaster bass and get a decent luthier in this country to copy it with my modifications.

Still fancy a shell pink jazz with a maple neck, cream pickguard and pickups, with Fender on the headstock...

It does look very expensive compared with the other options but they aren't Fenders are they?... and that's kind of the point of getting a Custom Shop IMO.

Yes other builders can give you something comparable (better in many cases) for a lower price. In fact you can buy other CNC machined fender style basses for a few hundred quid, that as a gigable instrument would serve you just fine... but I don't think this is really what the Custom Shop is about.

I like Fender... I like the history and I acknowledge the huge influence they still have over bass styles after all these years. I see the custom shop as a way to get something a little bit special... your colors, a few options to suit the bass to your style etc but it still says Fender on the headstock.... it's not really about getting a bespoke instrument that plays and sounds the way you've dreamt a bass should be (I have that in Wal), It's about owning your own piece of Fender.... if that means nothing to you then there are a plethora of other options available and many of them will give you a "better" instrument for far less money :)

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 1

I have an irrational soft spot for Fender and the Custom Shop in particular.

When I was a kid all me and my best friend did was look through fender frontline catalogue and dream about our own custom builds and signature guitars. There is still a pet of me that wants the logo on the back of the headstock and the daft certificate to fulfill a childhood dream.

In general I like fender, I have had a couple of good ones but also a complete dog of an American Standard and played some incredibly dull instruments. I find them over-priced for what they are (I find this with other brands too) so custom shops seem ridiculous to me but saying that I have played some top end basses from Overwater, Sei, Alleva and to be honest they were really not worth the money to me either. One huge pull for me has been the experience with some friends who own CS guitars, all of which feel incredible and just have this amazing vibe about them. It's probably all in my head but I can't ignore it.

Not everyone will understand but for me at least, although it may be daft, there is a little bit of magic to Fender Custom Shop and it is linked with their history and my history with Fender. Despite owing some superb high end basses over the years I still lust after a CS, in particular a Pino 😄.

To be fair to Fender, despite whatever issues you might experience with their instruments on the odd occasion, if you go down that route it will still be a 'Fender' in ten years, which holds a lot of 'value' in terms of how people perceive it. I know the market isn't great for selling anything still at the moment, but, a Custom Shop Fender completed well will be a dream for some players.

However, I do see the point about Shuker/Maruszczyk. Fabulous looking basses (and no doubt play and sound great) at probably half the price or less.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1464039664' post='3056088']
However I've just had a look at the current [url="http://wpc.077d.edgecastcdn.net/00077D/custom_shop/quote_guide/2015/2015%20Fender%20Custom%20Shop%20Order%20Form%20(rev%20ii).pdf"]Quote Sheet[/url] and the options are pretty limited. It might be possible to have something like a long scale 5-string Starcaster Bass as a Masterbuilt option but there doesn't seem to be any way of finding out for sure.
[/quote]

I think the quote sheet is more of a guide for those ordering "standard" custom-built guitars/basses.
Check out the master-built section in the Custom Shop brochure thing [url="http://wpc.077d.edgecastcdn.net/00077D/custom_shop/custom_guitar_guide/2016/2016%20Fender%20Custom%20Shop%20Quote%20Guide.pdf"]here[/url].

"No idea is too crazy" :D

..also turns out there isn't an up charge for lefties, I just misread the sheet - Woo!