Why become a member? ×

Jazz Standards

joey1234

Get on the inter web, look for Real books...or the iReal Pro app - also, anything you want to hear seems to be uploaded to UTube these days - how much time have you got??? If you need more specific bass line info them look for transcriptions, there are plenty of people putting them up.

Have fun

If you have an Apple device get the iReal Pro app. £10 but thousands of standards and it plays them in the key you want, with tolerable genre impressions.

Edit: whoops- coffee hasn't kicked in, missed this point in above post.

Edited by scalpy

I've posted this before, but it's still relevant; here's a link to Ralph Patt's Jazz Web Page, when one can find the 'vanilla' chords and structure to most jazz standards...

[url="http://www.ralphpatt.com/Song.html"]Ralph Patt's Jazz Web Page ...[/url]

Extremely useful for understanding the very basics of these tunes, too often obscured by ornementation and enriching. These basics give the key to following what's going on, and on which one may, in turn, improvise or elaborate.
Hope this helps.

After a bit of googling you could probably 'acquire' some pdfs of various Real Books which would be a good starting point.

iReal Pro is ok but I'd suggest getting hold of Real Books (by whatever means) as they have the [i]melodies[/i] to all the tunes as well.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is LISTEN TO RECORDINGS OF THE TUNES THAT YOU WANT TO LEARN. Get off the page (or screen) as soon as you can and actually turn the charts into something musical - find 3 or 4 recordings of each standard that you want to get your teeth into and compare the different ways the melody and harmony can be interpreted. This will give you a much better insight into the music than looking at chord symbols on a chart.

The real books will get you close to the changes being played but I'd always advocate transcribing recordings to get deeper into things. Long winded, yes, but much more beneficial.

hello all, thanks for the feedback. I suppose my question should have bee which jazz standards should I learn as someone who doesn't really know the genre back to front. For instance if I go to jazzstandards.com and look at the list of standards there are 300 songs listed ( I assume there are many more to be considered standards as well).
I have mainly played, rock/blue/funk and of course original music in bands. So my knowledge of jazz is limited, in the above for instance someone mentions Autumn leaves so ill start there but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time.
joe

[quote name='joey1234' timestamp='1461147888' post='3031799']...my question should have bee which jazz standards should I learn...
[/quote]

To which I would reply with another question: why do you want to learn these..? Is it for your own, private study, or have you a band audition lined up..? Will you be playing these with others, and if so, with whom..? Are you in any hurry, with a date in view, or looking for 'the long haul'..?
Sorry; that's several questions. Well..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1461058753' post='3030965']
I've posted this before, but it's still relevant; here's a link to Ralph Patt's Jazz Web Page, when one can find the 'vanilla' chords and structure to most jazz standards...

[url="http://www.ralphpatt.com/Song.html"]Ralph Patt's Jazz Web Page ...[/url]
[/quote]

Wow - that's a fantastic resource! There's a page with lots of audios too - you can turn off the bass channel and play along with the piano.
There are also lots of great midi files on the web, which give you a full arrangement that you can read if you have a proper midi player.

Learn the ones you like. Otherwise it's a boring academic exercise. Ralph's site has just encouraged me to have a bash at jazz ( :P ). I'm starting with Georgia on My Mind followed by If I Could Write a Book. Once I get really good, I'll try my hand at Lady is a Tramp.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1461150875' post='3031854']...
There are also lots of great midi files on the web, which give you a full arrangement that you can read if you have a proper midi player.
[/quote]

I use Guitar Pro 6 as a MIDI reader; it does a great job, showing all instruments on staves (or tab...), able to re-assign bass clef for treble, transpose and much, much more....

[quote name='joey1234' timestamp='1461147888' post='3031799']
hello all, thanks for the feedback. I suppose my question should have bee which jazz standards should I learn as someone who doesn't really know the genre back to front. For instance if I go to jazzstandards.com and look at the list of standards there are 300 songs listed ( I assume there are many more to be considered standards as well).
I have mainly played, rock/blue/funk and of course original music in bands. So my knowledge of jazz is limited, in the above for instance someone mentions Autumn leaves so ill start there but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time.
joe
[/quote]

If you are familiar with the common 12-bar blues variations already then I would suggest getting a grasp of the Blues page of the Theory tab of jazzstandards.com , and then learn " Blue Monk " and " Girl Talk " . Once one understands the chord substitutions in the familiar 12-bar territory it makes it easier to see the patterns in further studies . :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1461150706' post='3031852']
To which I would reply with another question: why do you want to learn these..? Is it for your own, private study, or have you a band audition lined up..? Will you be playing these with others, and if so, with whom..? Are you in any hurry, with a date in view, or looking for 'the long haul'..?
Sorry; that's several questions. Well..?
[/quote]
Hi, i want to learn some standards so i can open my own basslines up a bit more, i find after learning a particular style or song it makes my bass playing much better. I am already in a band and write my own basslines, I am in no hurry and more than happy to take my time, to start with the basics. Thanks for your input on the other messages by the way very helpful.

If you want to learn how to play jazz standards, the best way is to ignore web pages that say you need to learn hundreds of tunes and just get with some like-minded people who want to do the same thing. Learn a tune a week and by the end of the year you have a setlist for a two hour gig.

Play-along recordings are a great way to practice playing standard changes... The Aebersold series are tried and tested and there are specific volumes that tackle "beginner tunes", Volume 54 Maiden Voyage and Volume 70 Killer Joe are good ones that have the tunes that other beginners tend to want to try. Some of the tunes are easy in the sense that they're easy to solo over... making a walking line for Impressions that doesn't get boring is more challenging. The tunes are stereo separated with drums and piano on one track and drums and bass on the other, so you can remove the bass. Musicians who have played on volumes in the Aebersold series include people of the calibre of Ron Carter, so they can be a bit more inspiring than midi versions.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1461165868' post='3032077']
If you want to learn how to play jazz standards, the best way is to ignore web pages that say you need to learn hundreds of tunes and just get with some like-minded people who want to do the same thing. Learn a tune a week and by the end of the year you have a setlist for a two hour gig.
[/quote]

I'd agree with this approach, it worked for me. From a jazz bass player's point of view, 'learning a tune' also means playing walking basslines. If you don't have much experience with this I'd recommend learning to walk as well - there are some good books on this by Ed Fuqua, Ed Friedland and Jay Hungerford that I've found useful.

If you want to learn standards like a pro, you need to be able to play them in all keys. Niger Price says, if you cannot play a tune in every key, you don't really know it.

I don't know standards like a pro and have to use real books etc. I am considered a lightweight in the business.