Why become a member? ×

HOFFNER of ENGLAND BASS

rhofner

[attachment=217356:IMG_4747.jpg]hi everyone
I am new to basschat - i recently bought a Hofner violin bass(500/1) COPY and the only label or number on it is the Engraved Neck Plate (it has a bolt on neck) that says "Handmade by Hoffner of England" very good copy of a 500/1, well made, one staple pickup in neck position, headstock shape, bridge and tailpiece just like 500/1, cheap tuners, control plate has one volume one tone and a slide switch in middle, not the same rectangular shape as a 500/1, plays good and sounds great, 30.5" scale

this HOFFNER is spelled with two "F's"

- cannot find any info on this instrument anywhere

- please if anyone can provide any info i would appreciate it

thanks rick

Edited by rhofner

OK, so what can we see?

That's not a Hofner body, nor neck, nor control plate. It might be a Hofner scratchplate, bridge and tailpiece. It certainly looks like a Hofner staple pickup though there were plenty of similar ones around.

Neither the scratchplate nor the control plate were designed to go with that body, so what you appear to have is a cheap copy which has the had parts from other basses fitted to it, i.e. it's a Bitsa.

It's clearly not recent. That neck plate looks pretty old to me - check the accumulated grime and wear on and around the screws. The engraving on it is far too fancy to be from a mass-produced instrument, and actually looks to me like the work of a jeweller or similar.

The expression "Hoffner of London" is so obviously tongue-in-cheek that it must be a deliberate pisstake. Worth remembering that Hoffner is actually quite a common surname.

So there we have it. Your bass was built from randomly collected parts by an English jeweller named Hoffner.

He had red hair, walked with a limp, and loved parakeets.

Elementary, my dear Rick.