Why become a member? ×

weird lack of sound issue,is it pickups,amp or electrics?

markdavid

Have been having an issue that is driving me out of my mind, living in an extremely small studio flat i only have room for one bass, my beloved squier jaguar. Recently i have been having this issue where i will be playing and the sound will just either cut out completely or the volume will drop very dramatically to practically nothing. Sometimes this happens after a few minutes and sometimes it happens immediately,if i take the cable out of the bass and touch the end i get the buzzing noise that you would expect but when i plug the cable back in then nothing. At first i thought it was a dodgy cable but i brought a new cable to eliminate this possibility and still the same problem. I have also plugged my bass in through the auxiliary input and strangely it was fine this way apart from a bit of background hiss, thinking it must be the amp i took the amp and my bass to the shop i brought the amp from to show them and the amp and bass behaved absolutely fine when i was in the shop which leads me to think that maybe it is the dodgy electrics in my flat. I have opened up the bass to check there are no loose wires or ropey soldering and it all looks ok,i am totally baffled, any ideas?

Double check the amp at yours with another bass. And take the amp around someone's house and see if it works ok there.
If so it's definitely the socket. Have you tried plugging it into another socket at your flat?

I'm assuming the bass is the passive version and not the active version with the battery in.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1461014260' post='3030738']
Double check the amp at yours with another bass. And take the amp around someone's house and see if it works ok there.
If so it's definitely the socket. Have you tried plugging it into another socket at your flat?

I'm assuming the bass is the passive version and not the active version with the battery in.
[/quote] Thanks, i will try that, yes is the passive version

I'm more inclined to think it's a dirty jack socket or pot. Does it crackle when you turn any knobs or wobble your guitar leads in the sockets? Mains supply is unlikely to be the cause if it goes quiet - more likely something in the signal path

Edited by Norris

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1461107134' post='3031602']
If you've got SEND and RETURN sockets on the back of your amp, connect them together using a spare guitar lead.
[/quote]

Yes, try this!

Those sockets can sometimes create trouble.