Why become a member? ×

Too quiet!

Omen

Hello good people (yes, i stole that greeting!). I come with a problem, so here comes a chance to warm up those muscular brain tissues of yours.

I'm playing an Ibanez SR1000 EFM jacked up to the PC and using Audacity to record with. The sound is definitely coming through because i can hear it! But the problem is that it's way too quiet. I've tried going into volume control and boosting the Line In, but that just makes it louder through the speakers, not the recording.

Anybody know a solution?

Cheers.

[quote name='Omen' post='30346' date='Jul 11 2007, 04:58 PM']Hello good people (yes, i stole that greeting!). I come with a problem, so here comes a chance to warm up those muscular brain tissues of yours.

I'm playing an Ibanez SR1000 EFM jacked up to the PC and using Audacity to record with. The sound is definitely coming through because i can hear it! But the problem is that it's way too quiet. I've tried going into volume control and boosting the Line In, but that just makes it louder through the speakers, not the recording.

Anybody know a solution?

Cheers.[/quote]

Are you not using any sort of pre-amp/channel strip?

The signal is still not going to be at the right level for you to record usefully with. Assuming you have already increased the 'record level input' on your software then you need some sort of preamp to boost the signal.

You'll need some sort of preamp/interface in order to convert the signal level output of your bass to line level. An active bass will only have a slightly higher output than a passive (in most cases), but in order for you to make the most of your Line In, you'll need a Line Level signal.

[quote name='Omen' post='30366' date='Jul 11 2007, 05:33 PM']nope. It's a direct PC to Guitar. The SR1000 EFM is active.[/quote]

Doesn't matter..... your still gonna need some sort of front end pre-amp..... or buy a small mixer with decent gain on the mic/line input... better still get a dedicated audio in/out device

S'alright now. I've hooked my bass up to a small amp that i havent used in a while and hooked that to the PC. Working a charm, though a bit crispy, it's alright until i get some funds up.

Cheers for the replies.