Why become a member? ×

NJBPUD: Gemini Dawn Lightning Jazz pickups

ahpook

[size=4]Ordered these from Mike at Gemini on the 11th, and they popped through my door today.

Bit of back story - I was pimping a Squier CV Telecaster guitar for a very good friend of mine for his 40th birthday a few years back, and after talking to Mike at Gemini about mini-Humbuckers went for a pair of 'Vampire Queens' which my friend was blown away by and do sound superb. Mike was a great chap to deal with so I saw no reason to go elsewhere when I fancied treating my 86 MIJ Jazz bass to some new pickups for its 30th birthday.

I'm replacing a set of SD...um....I forget which sort, but I know that put them in there in ~'98, and they're not Quarter-Pounders. At ~14K I guess they're 'Hot Jazzes'. They've always been a bit on the dark side, so the Dawn Lightnings at 8.4/9.6K looked a good choice - I've a set of Wizard 84's in another bass they're about the same IIRC,.

Anhoo - wired them in and I'm very pleased. A lot clearer than the SD with a much more detailed botton end. Thicker overall than a stock MIJ Geddy Lee tho, but that could be the maple board I suppose.[/size]

[size=4]Took a quick pic of them after I'd unpacked them - nice presentation, doesn't change the tone, but it's a classy touch :)[/size]

[size=2][attachment=217317:IMG_1500.JPG][/size]

Edited by ahpook