Why become a member? ×

Amplitube Custom Shop: What to buy first?

Rubbersoul

Hi folks. I've been using the basic free Custom Shop package on my bass recordings and I am reasonably impressed with the general quality (apart from the stomp boxes, they're a bit pants). I want to add to the amp options and I am wondering who uses the software here and what their preferences are? I play with overdrive and the general feel is dark and nasty rock/punk/metal etc. I am thinking the Ampeg SVT Classic model may suit best but I am also considering the Orange model. I will be building this over a period of time as cash is a bit tight so only one at a time and I want to make an informed decision. Thoughts? Advice? Grateful for any input. Thanks, Steve.

It might not be the answer you are after, but here's my amp sim software of choice - http://www.positivegrid.com/index.html%3Fp=8125.html - in fact all of the Positive Grid products are stunning. I've just finished recording bass for a new album and every single part has used 'BIAS' and 'BIAS FX'. Super stunning!

Ampeg and Orange in the amplitube's custom shop are both excellent, very different too. I can never decide which one I like better and usually end uo blending a biamped/bi-cabbed signal.

For your nasty overdriven stuff you may feel happier with Orange. But in the end you should just get both, I don't think you will be disappointed.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1461016296' post='3030766']
It might not be the answer you are after, but here's my amp sim software of choice - [url="http://www.positivegrid.com/index.html%3Fp=8125.html"]http://www.positiveg...l%3Fp=8125.html[/url] - in fact all of the Positive Grid products are stunning. I've just finished recording bass for a new album and every single part has used 'BIAS' and 'BIAS FX'. Super stunning!
[/quote]

Hey Dood, I downloaded the BIAS demo set to give it a go but I can't find anywhere were it says what restrictions there are if any with it. Does it just run like the free version of Amplitube where it is just that you have a limited set of gear to work with but that there is no time limit? Can't find anything on the site.

Edit: was just playing with it and the sound randomly drops out. Hate that with demos.

Edited by Rubbersoul

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1461076789' post='3031214']
Hey Dood, I downloaded the BIAS demo set to give it a go but I can't find anywhere were it says what restrictions there are if any with it. Does it just run like the free version of Amplitube where it is just that you have a limited set of gear to work with but that there is no time limit? Can't find anything on the site.

Edit: was just playing with it and the sound randomly drops out. Hate that with demos.
[/quote]

Yup that's correct, the sound does drop out in the demo versions and yes, I'm not a fan of it either! I'd rather have a fully functioning version for a week for example. That said, I LOVE that PG is available on IOS and it sounds great using BIAS and associated apps on a mobile device. There's even a thread on BC about how to do that instead of taking your amp to a gig. Bonus!

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1461020380' post='3030803']
Brilliant, I just found out I can demo any of the models for 72 hours. That's tomorrow sorted then ☺
[/quote]

So how did you find them? For your stuff, which one you think you gonna buy first?

I just realised I like heavy playing through Orange but when I end up recording for an actual track (as opposed to just noodling with a drum track) my guitarist/producer always puts on the ampegs as it seems to cut through better.

After all that, I was directed to Ignite amps. I got totally distracted and haven't even demoed the Amplitubes. Ignite only have 1 bass amp, the SHB-1 but it is exactly the sound I was looking for. Seriously dirty tone and not for the faint hearted but I love it. I will definitely go back and give the others a bash but for now I'm happy.