Why become a member? ×

New Pickup PJ impedance mismatch?

Jazzjames

Hello eveeyone,

So I bought a new Aguilar AG 5P-60CL p bass pickup for my mike lull PJ5 (passive) and it sounds great!

However... It interacts in an odd way with the existing jazz pickup in the bridge position, which I didn't change out.

Both pickups sound great when soloed, but together, the bass goes quiet and thin sounding. Is it an impedance mismatch? Is it anything to worry about?

I may just leave it as is. This experiment seems to have made the J pickup sound better. Is this possible?!

The problem was indeed the pickups were out of phase. However, I recorded a line with the bass (P pup only) in the out of phase wiring config, then again having flipped the wires, and I prefer the out of phase configuration. Please note I had the J pickup rolled entirely off, but the P soloed had a slightly warmer sound with this way of wiring it up. Why, I have no idea. With both pickups on, it obviously sounds terrible, but I only ever use the P pup anyhow, so why not!