Why become a member? ×

E string harmonics

Twincam

Noticed when playing flats I often get a harmonic on the open E string when I mute/stop the string quickly with my finger.
Say when playing a simple blues rhythm on the E or at the start of another one bites the dust etc etc. And the faster I play the worse the harmonic gets.
If I mute with my fretting hand as well as my finger it lessons this but I still find the harmonic is there.

Any tips?

Mute the string in a slightly different place (you may need to experiment a little). Without getting overly technical, harmonics pop up at many points along the entire length of the string, especially near the nut or bridge. It also depends how you're muting it - doing it with one finger increases the chance of a harmonic sounding. Not sure it has much to do with the type of string you're using (although I suspect that is a different debate... ;) ). The open string is a worst-case scenario as well (with fretted notes you have the fretting finger to help control unwanted resonances).

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1461083447' post='3031316']
Mute the string in a slightly different place (you may need to experiment a little). Without getting overly technical, harmonics pop up at many points along the entire length of the string, especially near the nut or bridge. It also depends how you're muting it - doing it with one finger increases the chance of a harmonic sounding. Not sure it has much to do with the type of string you're using (although I suspect that is a different debate... ;) ). The open string is a worst-case scenario as well (with fretted notes you have the fretting finger to help control unwanted resonances).
[/quote]

Yes indeed I mute with a few fingers rather than one I also know which points have harmonics. It is still there unless I mute further down the neck bit if I want to fret at the first position I feel o have to race back up. Probably need to practice it more. Never had the issues with other strings.