Why become a member? ×

Power supply for my pedalboard

MagicOnion

Hi guys!

My pedalboard is in dire need of a new power supply (I guess?). For the past couple of years I've been running a full [url="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61PQqBMNr7L._SL1000_.jpg"]Pedaltrain JR (old style - click)[/url] on a OneSpot adapter. Now, my pedal chain goes like this:
(Bass ->) TC Electronic PolyTune -> Boss OC-2 -> DIY Bass Tubescreamer -> EHX Big Muff NYC (modded to a green Russian with extra versatility) -> Earthquaker Devices The Depths -> Line6 DL4 (-> Amp). (I had an EMMA Discumbobulator in there, but it's now for sale)

I've never had problems whatsoever with my OneSpot (I've probably been using it for around 5 years - rehearsing & gigging), but as I am about to purchase a second hand Digitech Space Station, I figured that I can't power it anymore with the OneSpot. And people have told me several times that I've been pushing my luck with the OneSpot :D

So what do you guys suggest? What is a decent, fairly priced power supply that fits under my Pedaltrain Jr?
I'm a total nitwit when it comes to power supplies and such. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MagicOnion

Hi - I only run a Tc spectracomp compressor, big muff PI, Tc chorona chorus and a tuner, but I have found the T Rex Fuel Tank junior was enough for me. It's only got five power outlets so you may need the goliath version. It's worked a treat for me anyway.

Thanks!
Is there anyone who can tell me whether or not I can power multiple effects with only one power outlet of a supply?
It's probably okay as I already do that with my OneSpot (which is actually one outlet going to all of my effects).
I guess distortions and fuzzes don't require as much power as certain digital pedals.
That way I don't have to buy a huge brick.

Yes, you can power multiple effects from one power outlet using a daisy-chain cable. Add up the power requirement of each pedal and so long as the total does not exceed the supply rating you will be ok. The Fuel Tank junior is rated at 120 mA for each output. So that is 2 x 50 mA pedals, 4 x 30 mA pedals and so on per outlet. The junior has isolated outputs so you can add 2 together for 240 mA if you have a power-hungry digital pedal. Mine came with the required power cable - in fact it came with a lot more different cables than advertised. It might be the junior model but it will drive quite a few different pedals.

[quote name='MagicOnion' timestamp='1461138248' post='3031695']
Thanks!
Is there anyone who can tell me whether or not I can power multiple effects with only one power outlet of a supply?
It's probably okay as I already do that with my OneSpot (which is actually one outlet going to all of my effects).
I guess distortions and fuzzes don't require as much power as certain digital pedals.
That way I don't have to buy a huge brick.
[/quote]

Yes - as you have shown you can power multiple units from one outlet as long as it can meet the current requirement. Using a daisy chain or splitter cable. Indeed many 'multiple output supplies' effectively do this but provide individual connectors (they may also have individual short circuit / overcurrent protection so that overloading one output shouldn't affect the others - but they are not isolated in terms of "ground loop" etc as all the outputs share a common ground.)

BUT - if you are using a 'Digital Pedal' ie anything which uses a microcontroller / logic / clock then you really don't want to be sharing a supply with it as it's likely to put a load of noise onto the 'Ground Line' which is disastrous for noise especially in unbalanced systems as you have generally have between effects units / amps etc.
I'm guessing the Digitech pedal is a 'Digital Pedal' (the brand name sort of implies it :-) so I'd recommend a dedicated supply or isolated output for it.

With non digital pedals it's probably okay - as you have found out - to run multiples but it is still more susceptible to noise / interference etc as you are introducing 'Ground Loops' into the wiring. Whether it becomes an issue depends on the detail - wiring / sources of interference etc.

For value I'd recommend taking a look a the Thomann Powerplant Junior which has 5 x isolated outputs - bearing in mind you can parallel for more current and stack in series for greater voltage.
Note that it's only the Junior that has isolated outputs. It's 'big brother' with 8 outputs doesn't have isolated outputs.
Seems wrong but I confirmed this with Thomann before purcasing a few Juniors.

Clear!
I always assumed that my Line6 DL4 was a digital pedal, but I have never experienced any problems with it when I had it on a daisy chain together with my other pedals. But it's probably better to connect it to an isolated output that isn't shared with any other pedal. Same thing for the Space Station: it'll need an non-shared isolated output.

I have looked up how much the current draw is for every pedal.
Polytune - 50 mA
Boss OC-2 - 4 mA
DIY BassScreamer - probably not more than 10 mA
EHX Big Muff - probably not more than 10 mA
EQD The Depths - 35 mA
Line6 DL4 - different sources state different things, most likely around 250 mA
Space Station - 500 mA

There's still one thing I'm struggling with to figure out: both the Line6 DL4 and the Digitech Space Station require 9V AC.
I've had my DL4 succesfully connected to and powered by the OneSpot (of which I assume it only gives DC) with a L6 converter cable.
So I guess that the DL4 works on DC too? Or can such a small cable adapt DC to AC? Just wondering :-)
As for my Space Station, I don't want to ruin it, so I probably need a 9V AC output on the power supply.

For all the pedals bar the Space Station I'd use the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. Comes with isolated outputs. Can get brackets to fit it on the underside of the PT JR (I've got one on my Classic JR). Should be able to cope with the DL4 OK

Can't do much with the Space Station as that is obstinately 9V AC - this may require a separate PSU unfortunately.

[quote name='MagicOnion' timestamp='1461146611' post='3031779']
Clear!
I always assumed that my Line6 DL4 was a digital pedal, but I have never experienced any problems with it when I had it on a daisy chain together with my other pedals. But it's probably better to connect it to an isolated output that isn't shared with any other pedal. Same thing for the Space Station: it'll need an non-shared isolated output.

I have looked up how much the current draw is for every pedal.
Polytune - 50 mA
Boss OC-2 - 4 mA
DIY BassScreamer - probably not more than 10 mA
EHX Big Muff - probably not more than 10 mA
EQD The Depths - 35 mA
Line6 DL4 - different sources state different things, most likely around 250 mA
Space Station - 500 mA

There's still one thing I'm struggling with to figure out: both the Line6 DL4 and the Digitech Space Station require 9V AC.
I've had my DL4 succesfully connected to and powered by the OneSpot (of which I assume it only gives DC) with a L6 converter cable.
So I guess that the DL4 works on DC too? Or can such a small cable adapt DC to AC? Just wondering :-)
As for my Space Station, I don't want to ruin it, so I probably need a 9V AC output on the power supply.
[/quote]

Sounds like you've been lucky with the DL4 noise. It is possible that a 'Digital' effect might have adequate noise suppression inside it or be well enough designed to avoid the issue in the first place. Bear in mind that low level noise issues may not be noticed in some circumstances - live / rehearsal etc but could become noticeable in, eg, a studio recording environment.

The Space Station sounds power hungry !

DC into an 'AC' input can work depending on the detail of the 'AC input'. A simple bridge rectifier circuit will accept DC of either polarity and produce the correct polarity at the output. You may be running at reduced voltage level with 9V DC going in- probably losing 1V or so across two diodes in a bridge giving somewhere around 8V.
9Vac (rms) going in will get uou about 11V at the output as it gets rectified to the peak value minus the diode drops.
Whether any of that matters depends on the internals of the unit.
Best stick to the specified AC or DC as other units may have different power input circuitry and internals.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1461155056' post='3031921']
Sounds like you've been lucky with the DL4 noise. It is possible that a 'Digital' effect might have adequate noise suppression inside it or be well enough designed to avoid the issue in the first place. Bear in mind that low level noise issues may not be noticed in some circumstances - live / rehearsal etc but could become noticeable in, eg, a studio recording environment.

The Space Station sounds power hungry !

DC into an 'AC' input can work depending on the detail of the 'AC input'. A simple bridge rectifier circuit will accept DC of either polarity and produce the correct polarity at the output. You may be running at reduced voltage level with 9V DC going in- probably losing 1V or so across two diodes in a bridge giving somewhere around 8V.
9Vac (rms) going in will get uou about 11V at the output as it gets rectified to the peak value minus the diode drops.
Whether any of that matters depends on the internals of the unit.
Best stick to the specified AC or DC as other units may have different power input circuitry and internals.
[/quote]

No problems with my DL4 in this chain, even when recording. Lucky me!
As for the Space Station: that's what I've found on the internet, but I bet that it's below 500 mA.
I'll try to stick to the specifics of each pedal, don't want to burn anything.

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1461153380' post='3031901']
For all the pedals bar the Space Station I'd use the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. Comes with isolated outputs. Can get brackets to fit it on the underside of the PT JR (I've got one on my Classic JR). Should be able to cope with the DL4 OK

Can't do much with the Space Station as that is obstinately 9V AC - this may require a separate PSU unfortunately.
[/quote]

It's definitely good to know that the PP2 fits under a PT Jr.
Thing is that I want only 1 PSU <_< 9V DC appears to be no problem for the DL4, but I don't want to fry my Space Station.

So I'll have to look for a power brick that has (at least) one 9V AC power outlet. And that power brick has to fit under my PT Jr, as the top of it is already crammed with pedals. :D

Edited by MagicOnion

[quote name='MagicOnion' timestamp='1461166342' post='3032085']
It's definitely good to know that the PP2 fits under a PT Jr.
Thing is that I want only 1 PSU <_< 9V DC appears to be no problem for the DL4, but I don't want to fry my Space Station.

So I'll have to look for a power brick that has (at least) one 9V AC power outlet. And that power brick has to fit under my PT Jr, as the top of it is already crammed with pedals. :D
[/quote]
The PP2 has an AC inlet pass-through on a three-pin IEC connector so you could (with a bit of tinkering) power a second PSU from that, and still only need one mains lead.

I would recommend the OneSpot TrueTone CS-12. It can do 9/12/18V DC and 9V AC. Also you can push the outputs way past the labelling as long as you don't exceed the output rated for the entire brick, as indicated on their product page and confirmed by their support - e.g. I should be able to power my Two Notes Le Bass at 12V 500mA with it, which not many other bricks can claim!

Just trying to decide whether or not I can get away with the CS-7, as I don't need the AC out and don't mind running a few pedals off the same output.

[url="http://truetone.com/power-supplies/1-spot-pro/1-spot-pro-c12zzz/"]http://truetone.com/...pot-pro-c12zzz/[/url]

Fits under a PT-Jr too and even comes with the required brackets:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRLYZIJmPa0[/media]

Edited by dannybuoy

Thanks! So apparently I have two choices: the Cioks AC10 and the Truetone OneSpot Pro CS12.
Hmmm, I'll have to dig in to find out whether they would fit under my older Pedaltrain Jr, but I guess they probably both fit in there.

That makes it more difficult, both seem decent and have a decent amount of options. The OneSpot Pro CS12 is about 30 euros cheaper though.

The AC10 more AC outputs than you'd need - it's rare for pedals to need AC these days so you'd probably let a few of those go to waste. Also the CS-12 can give you 18V outputs which are very common on bass pedals these days - if you ever fancy trying an Aguilar Tone Hammer, Diamond Bass Compressor, Catalinbread SFT or Pike Vulcan, it will have you covered!

Then I'll have to hit the shop for a CS12. :D
It also just popped to my mind that the EQD The Depths I have can take 18V for more headroom, it's worth a try. (According to the website: The Depths can be powered by 9v for warmer tones or up to 18v for a stiffer tone with more headroom and sparkle.)
And like you said. AC is very rare for pedals these days. And once in a while there's a pedal that needs 18V, so yeah.

I appreciate all the help I got, much kudos to all of you!

Edited by MagicOnion

• 2 weeks later...

Must agree you've been lucky getting no noise from that Line 6 pedal. I've tried daisychaining their Tonecore pedals before, and the M-series units and they do NOT like it!

I'm using a Cioks DC-10 at the moment because I have a few high-current digital pedals that need isolation and it is a great PSU, but I miss the days of daisy-chaining just a bunch of analogue pedals off a single cheap switched-mode PSU. :)