Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Bash Derby Oct 2nd

Owen

[quote name='rosscoebones' timestamp='1472726565' post='3123663']
Hi, Id love to attend and have a nosey? happy to bring my cheap as chips Thomann along, with some entry level combis and all set up for slapabilly if that might interest peeps? Havent been playing for long so can share experiences with any other noobs?? Pencil me in and I'll sort logistics??

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]FB: demhowlinbones [/font][/size]
[/quote]

The more the merrier I say!

I'll have a couple of Double Bass books to sell:-

Ray Brown's Bass Book and the Evolving Bassist by Rufus Reid. Both at a fiver each. Also I'll bring some of my clips to attach the pickup jack to the tailpiece. And I might be persuaded to part with my Crazy 8 cab but still mulling this one over.

I'd quite like some beginners French bowing tips - like how to hold the bugger for more than 5 minutes without getting cramp in my thumb.

If more basses are required, I'll bring my Eminence EUB and my carved Hungarian Poller, provided I can fit it all in the car. Pretty sure I've had both DBs in the car at the same time before, but can't recall how I would have done it.

Edited by TheRev

Updated list:

1. Bassace. Bryant Solo DB, Felix preamp, Puma 500 amp, OneTen cab. Some 'fix your pickup jack to the tailpiece' devices
2. Happy Jack. Andreas Zeller DB and a KK BabyBass (plus, if I'm feeling mischievous, a Takamine TB20)
3. Bluejay. Cameras, video equipment, and lots of DB GAS!
4. Owen. Late 19C Saxony DB with new 5 string neck,TC preamp/Berg IP310 or whatever I have by then. You know how it is. Howlett 5 string bass Uke. NS5 string EUB.German Carbon bow.
5. Neilp. 19th century unlabelled German bass, Meghan; it has acquired a beautiful Pete Barnaby mechanical C extension, and I've bought a Smooth hound wireless rig.
6. StingrayPete1977. Gedo DB half carved and stagg eub both with Spiro weichs. Yita carbon bow.
7. TheRev. East German ply workhorse with Krivo magnetic pickup, EA Doubler amp, Fishman Platinum Analogue pre and BigE/MAS45 double bass cab; I can also bring my other preamps (Fishman Plat Pro and Fdeck series 3) if anyone wants me to.
8. Rosscoebones. Thomann DB with some entry level combis, all set up for slapabilly
9. TPJ. Duke ply strung with steels and a cheapo hybrid strung with Velvet Animas. Homemade "hang your bow from your pocket" device
10. AndyBass [?]. Left handed Duke or Strunal 50/4
11. invicta59 [?]. Zeller Bass, K&K pickup, GK amp and Fearless F112. Maybe also Tricky Audio 'Greenboy' cabs, and possibly a Tricky Audio builder (Guy)
12. SpondonBassed [?]. A fretless electric? Vantage and Ashdown combo.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1473088268' post='3126771']
If you're bringing a Howlett, Owen, I may have to bring a B-stock Deko Harley Benton from Thomann so that we can A/B them. :yarr:
[/quote]

:)

I will not 0ut the NS in unless anyone REALLY wants to try one.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1473087926' post='3126761'][/quote]
12. SpondonBassed. A Vantage fretless electric bass guitar and Ashdown combo.

Thanks Bluejay. Barring misfortune I will be there and will pay on the day unless you message me otherwise. I have tweaked line 12 of your post.

Can you clarify which of the two places with Risley in the name the venue is please? We went down the other day and neither the Risley Park nor the Risley Hall Hotel recognised the booking. I suspect it is the Risley Park. As stated above somewhere, it does not have the word "hotel" in its name.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1473091300' post='3126826'] See post #4. [/quote]

Thanks Jack. I had read that before. Posts #3 and #5 of yours prompted me to visit the venue for myself. We saw the Risley Park but as you said, no mention of a Hotel on the signage. The place next door, the Risley Hall Hotel is a health spa and to paraphrase from J J Cale's song it looked like "Momma don't allow no bass in this place".

Yet the Risley Park function room has a private booking (possibly the one we're on about) for Oct 2nd but it does not say it is for the Double Bass Bash.

Just a little more clarity might help for those who don't come from this region.

Yes, it's at the Risley Park, Derby Road, Risley, DE72 3SS and yes, I've booked the function room for Sunday 2nd October from 10.00am. I'll post a catch-up two weeks before the event to get an idea of final numbers. All welcome, especially newbies and those contemplating getting a double bass. There will be plenty of basses available to have a try on and their owners will give good advice and help. Should be good, and all for a tenner including lunch, tea and coffee.

www.therisleypark.co.uk

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1473152318' post='3127332']
The event is in The Risely Park. I imagine it has been booked by BassAce in his own name as a private function so they would look confused if you mentioned a Double Bass Bash. I hope that clarifies :)
[/quote]

Yes. Many thanks.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1472980554' post='3125675']
I'd be interested to have a go on the Eminence, Dave. I seem to be doing quite a few gigs on stick lately. I'll bring my Kolstein travel bass. Only four weeks to go now.
[/quote]

No problem - Jayne and Barbara will be coming.

Hi all,

Late to the party but I'm hoping to attend. If I can keep the kids out of the car I'll bring my Boosey. I havent noticed anyone bringing a Stagg so can bring mine for anyone who hasn't tried one before, mine is strung with silver slaps. I'll also bring a Yita Carbon bow. All subject to leaving the wife and kids behind.

Another updated list:

1. Bassace. Bryant Solo DB, Felix preamp, Puma 500 amp, OneTen cab. Some 'fix your pickup jack to the tailpiece' devices
2. Happy Jack. Andreas Zeller DB and a KK BabyBass (plus, if I'm feeling mischievous, a Takamine TB20)
3. Bluejay. Cameras, video equipment, and lots of DB GAS!
4. Owen. Late 19C Saxony DB with new 5 string neck,TC preamp/Berg IP310 or whatever I have by then. You know how it is. Howlett 5 string bass Uke. NS5 string EUB.German Carbon bow.
5. Neilp. 19th century unlabelled German bass, Meghan; it has acquired a beautiful Pete Barnaby mechanical C extension, and I've bought a Smooth hound wireless rig.
6. StingrayPete1977. Gedo DB half carved and stagg eub both with Spiro weichs. Yita carbon bow.
7. TheRev. East German ply workhorse with Krivo magnetic pickup, EA Doubler amp, Fishman Platinum Analogue pre and BigE/MAS45 double bass cab; I can also bring my other preamps (Fishman Plat Pro and Fdeck series 3) if anyone wants me to.
8. Rosscoebones. Thomann DB with some entry level combis, all set up for slapabilly
9. TPJ. Duke ply strung with steels and a cheapo hybrid strung with Velvet Animas. Homemade "hang your bow from your pocket" device
10. AndyBass [?]. Left handed Duke or Strunal 50/4
11. invicta59 [?]. Zeller Bass, K&K pickup, GK amp and Fearless F112. Maybe also Tricky Audio 'Greenboy' cabs, and possibly a Tricky Audio builder (Guy)
12. SpondonBassed [?]. A fretless electric? Vantage and Ashdown combo.
13. Burg. Either the family, or a Boosey, a Stagg and a Yita Carbon bow.