222 replies to this topic

#61 Beedster

------------------------------

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

View Postneilp, on 05 August 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

If you want to walk round in silence trying people's basses, come and do it. I certainly wouldn't want to stop you, and nor I suspect would anyone else. If you don't want to come, don't come, but why try to rubbish the whole thing. I'm busy, I've got classical gigs and electric bass gigs to prepare and practice for, but I regard this sort of get-together as part of the fun of being a bass player, even if it's not going to revolve around my needs. I'm driving from West Sussex to do it, and I'm looking forward to it

View PoststingrayPete1977, on 05 August 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

I'm not saying you need to chat for hours in minute detail, but I think at least an exchange of friendliness would be polite before grabbing an expensive bass before playing it.

I find this whole situation strange right from your first arsey post I've quoted and quoted from already,why do you feel so special that you needed to be privately consulted about this bash?

It's been in the db section for ages as an open discussion regarding plans different to last time before dates were confirmed.

Telling us what you would of brought with you is frankly, childish.

Guys, I've not really 'rubbished' this event or wanted to be 'treated specially' (and any of you who've actually met me know that I certainly would not be walking around silently, which by the way was your suggestion Pete, not mine), I simply stated that, like many others apparently, I would need a bit more reassurance about the quality of this event if I were to make the effort of a whole day's journey. And, thanks, I now have all the reassurance I need.

Apologies of my apparent rudeness put noses out of joint, I suspect they were waiting to be.

Chris

#62 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

I've no idea how we got here, shame.
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#63 Beedster

• Members
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

View PoststingrayPete1977, on 05 August 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

I've no idea how we got here, shame.

Likewise Pete, my apologies if I've caused offence, it was really not my intention, but to be really honest, I've got no real idea why people have reacted the way they have to what was a very simple statement of fact from my POV (frankly had the PM this morning been a little more constructive we probably wouldn't be here but c'est la vie).

C

#64 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:01 PM

I think this is the problem with talking online, it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick, you should come along too the bash and eat sandwiches, drink coffee and look at bass stuff :)
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#65 Beedster

• Members
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PoststingrayPete1977, on 05 August 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

I think this is the problem with talking online, it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick, you should come along too the bash and eat sandwiches, drink coffee and look at bass stuff :)

Agreed, if I can make it I will Pete. There's a couple of characters from down this way I was planning to drive up, so I feel I'd be letting them down if I didn't to be honest. I will however spend the entire day in silent contemplation of double basses and will scowl at anyone using any form of amplification :)

#66 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:31 PM

You can try my Gedo out in silence while I check out the preamps and wireless system :D
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#67 owen

Low achiever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

If anyone wants to have a beginners session on bowing then I would be happy to do German bowing. Anyone want to introduce French bowing?
Double Bass, it's an airfix kit waiting to happen.

http://soundcloud.com/owen-lloyd-evans

Feedback

#68 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

I've got the bow but I lack the skills with it!
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#69 SpondonBassed

Full-time owner of a large beard, part-time miserable old git.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Location:About five foot eight inches above England usually.
  • Interests:Born 1962. Background in aero engineering. Ex all-weather motorcyclist of 25 years. Still very much an analogue man.

Family motto:
    Mullach Abu -
    The Hills Forever.

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

View PoststingrayPete1977, on 05 August 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

It would be nice to see a few more names on the list and a few more basses that I agree with, I'd like to see more people who want an introduction to upright to come along too.

I was thinking it's not too far from home. An introduction to the instrument would be of great interest although it is not one that I plan to take up for the foreseeable. It is just that as one who only plays EB I feel I should absorb some of the DB culture to round me off a bit.

I'll have a better idea nearer the time as to whether I shall attend and will add my name if so decided.

Strings:
Pit Bull IB5 Home Built from Kit
Steinberger Spirit XT25
Hohner B2A
Vantage fretless 33B-XF

Wires:
Ashdown Toneman 300

Trace Elliot 1818T
Laney RB3

http://basschat.co.u...ez-tribute-kit/

#70 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

As I found out there isn't really anywhere to just have a dabble, even now as a novice I'd feel awkward in a shop full of expensive ones so I think a meet like this would be great for you to have a nose around, jazzers,blues,orchestral and slappers all in one place!
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#71 SpondonBassed

Full-time owner of a large beard, part-time miserable old git.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Location:About five foot eight inches above England usually.
  • Interests:Born 1962. Background in aero engineering. Ex all-weather motorcyclist of 25 years. Still very much an analogue man.

Family motto:
    Mullach Abu -
    The Hills Forever.

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:14 PM

Slappers? I might be a bit young for exposure to that sort of thing.

Strings:
Pit Bull IB5 Home Built from Kit
Steinberger Spirit XT25
Hohner B2A
Vantage fretless 33B-XF

Wires:
Ashdown Toneman 300

Trace Elliot 1818T
Laney RB3

http://basschat.co.u...ez-tribute-kit/

#72 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

We'll go easy on you :D
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#73 lurksalot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts
  • Interests:mostly base ........oh and bass

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:11 PM

View PoststingrayPete1977, on 05 August 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

It was NOTHING like a regular electric bass bash last time, I played every bass there if anyone can find the picture of the group shot you will see how many basses there were, more than anywhere I've visited so far that's for sure.

Attached File  monthly_08_2016/post-6010-0-92976200-1470689964.jpg   3.12MB

Hows that then Pete :)

It was a brilliant day , I really enjoyed it. My DB hasn't progressed at all since the event , but that is not the fault of the event :blush:

It is well worth attending even just to meet those offering up their help and advice. Lovely people, some great stories, a good venue that looked after us, some great showmanship , superb instruments to get a feel of and Owens DB in leopard skin pyjamas , what is not to like ?

and having said that , I think SWMBO has family plans over that weekend with birthdays etc , so I think I will struggle to attend but if anyone has the slightest leanings or interest in DB, I would wholeheartedly recommend attending without hesitation.
When I said lower the frequency , I didn't mean only on christmas and birthdays, blue moons Preston Guilds

Please Vote in the BC Monthly Challenges , composition and photographic , you know it makes sense.

BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#74 neilp

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:56 AM

I'm happy to do a bit on bowing in general,and specifically French bow, although I have played with a German bow and still have a couple somewhere
Basses: 1980 Aria SB1000, Wal Custom Fretless, Squier Jazz VM fretless, Cort B4FL fretless, 1850 (ish) Mittenwald German double bass

Amp: GK MB112 GK MBP115
GK Backline 600 410BLX

#75 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:40 AM

Great picture Kev!
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#76 owen

Low achiever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

View Postneilp, on 09 August 2016 - 12:56 AM, said:

I'm happy to do a bit on bowing in general,and specifically French bow, although I have played with a German bow and still have a couple somewhere

You are booked.

Feedback

#77 bassace

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

So we'll have a demo of French and German bows. That'll be great.
THE BASS RACK
Paul Bryant 3/4 Solo DB
Thomas Martin 3/4 Solo DB
Unknown German Blonde Lami DB
Kolstein Travel Bass

THE AMP WAREHOUSE
AI Clarus 2R - Mk4
2-TecAmp Puma 500
Big E 4x5 Cab
Crazy 8 Cab
EA 12" Wizzy
EA 10" Wizzy
Genz Benz STL 3.0-10T
Roland SuperCube-60
Barefaced Retro One10 Cab
Felix and FDeck preamps
Pickups by Underwood, Fishman FS and David Gage
Leads by OBBM

#78 neilp

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

it might help if there are any specific issues anyone wants to cover, maybe you could post them here so I can have a look for exercises/studies etc and have a think pre-bash? I can do a general thing, but with a small select group we might accomplish more if we're specific?
Basses: 1980 Aria SB1000, Wal Custom Fretless, Squier Jazz VM fretless, Cort B4FL fretless, 1850 (ish) Mittenwald German double bass

Amp: GK MB112 GK MBP115
GK Backline 600 410BLX

#79 AndyBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

I can't commit to coming at the minute but I'd love to if I can. If I'm able to, I'll have a left handed Duke or Strunal 50/4 (probably the Duke). Bluejay - if you had a preference to try a steel or fake gut-strung bass I could bring one or the other
L/H Duke (Fonokraft, K&K, Line 6 G30, Gut-a-Likes)
L/H Strunal (Jargar Dolces)
https://m.facebook.com/thevegassix

#80 bluejay

Waiting for a left-handed Dingwall to GAS for

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Interests:Music (durr...!); Photography; Enjoying life

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:13 AM

That would be great, Andy! An absolute first! Happy to try at either of your DBs if you can make it, simply take the one that's more convenient. Should I end up owning a lefty DB in the future, I would probably go for the softest gut-like strings available, given my small, not very strong hands; then again, my uprights are strung with steels, so for the bash, either type would do. :)

#81 TPJ

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

Hi, could you please add me to the list? I'll be bringing a Duke ply strung with steels and a cheapo hybrid strung with Velvet Animas. I may even bring my inovative homemade "hang your bow from your pocket" device if there is any interest :)

#82 bassace

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Great. There's going to be quite a lot of bow interest. And your hang your bow device will be very interesting. I'll bring some of my 'fix your pickup jack to the tailpiece' devices. Who said innovation was dead.
THE BASS RACK
Paul Bryant 3/4 Solo DB
Thomas Martin 3/4 Solo DB
Unknown German Blonde Lami DB
Kolstein Travel Bass

THE AMP WAREHOUSE
AI Clarus 2R - Mk4
2-TecAmp Puma 500
Big E 4x5 Cab
Crazy 8 Cab
EA 12" Wizzy
EA 10" Wizzy
Genz Benz STL 3.0-10T
Roland SuperCube-60
Barefaced Retro One10 Cab
Felix and FDeck preamps
Pickups by Underwood, Fishman FS and David Gage
Leads by OBBM

#83 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

It's hotting up now!
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#84 bluejay

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Updated list!

1. Bassace. Bryant Solo DB, Felix preamp, Puma 500 amp, OneTen cab. Some 'fix your pickup jack to the tailpiece' devices
2. Happy Jack (TBC). Andreas Zeller DB and a KK BabyBass (plus, if I'm feeling mischievous, a Takamine TB20)
3. Bluejay (TBC). Cameras and video equipment
4. Owen. Late 19C Saxony DB with new 5 string neck,TC preamp/Berg IP310 or whatever I have by then. You know how it is. Howlett 5 string bass Uke. NS5 string EUB.German Carbon bow.
5. Neilp. 19th century unlabelled German bass, Meghan; it has acquired a beautiful Pete Barnaby mechanical C extension, and I've bought a Smooth hound wireless rig.
6. StingrayPete1977. Gedo DB half carved and stagg eub both with Spiro weichs. Yita carbon bow.
7. TheRev. East German ply workhorse with Krivo magnetic pickup, EA Doubler amp, Fishman Platinum Analogue pre and BigE/MAS45 double bass cab; I can also bring my other preamps (Fishman Plat Pro and Fdeck series 3) if anyone wants me to.
8. Sarah Thomas. German flat back, Kala UBass, Yita bow and AI combo.
9. TPJ. Duke ply strung with steels and a cheapo hybrid strung with Velvet Animas. Homemade "hang your bow from your pocket" device
10. AndyBass [?]. Left handed Duke or Strunal 50/4

#85 invicta59

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Pencil me in please, if you don't mind some rudimentary slapping and plonking.

I'd bring my Zeller Bass, K&K pickup, GK amp and Fearless F112. I may also bring some more Tricky Audio 'Greenboy' cabs, and possibly a Tricky Audio builder (Guy).
Upright bass and some loud stuff

#86 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:04 PM

I loved the slapping last time!
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#87 bluejay

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

Another updated list :)

1. Bassace. Bryant Solo DB, Felix preamp, Puma 500 amp, OneTen cab. Some 'fix your pickup jack to the tailpiece' devices
2. Happy Jack (TBC). Andreas Zeller DB and a KK BabyBass (plus, if I'm feeling mischievous, a Takamine TB20)
3. Bluejay (TBC). Cameras and video equipment
4. Owen. Late 19C Saxony DB with new 5 string neck,TC preamp/Berg IP310 or whatever I have by then. You know how it is. Howlett 5 string bass Uke. NS5 string EUB.German Carbon bow.
5. Neilp. 19th century unlabelled German bass, Meghan; it has acquired a beautiful Pete Barnaby mechanical C extension, and I've bought a Smooth hound wireless rig.
6. StingrayPete1977. Gedo DB half carved and stagg eub both with Spiro weichs. Yita carbon bow.
7. TheRev. East German ply workhorse with Krivo magnetic pickup, EA Doubler amp, Fishman Platinum Analogue pre and BigE/MAS45 double bass cab; I can also bring my other preamps (Fishman Plat Pro and Fdeck series 3) if anyone wants me to.
8. Sarah Thomas. German flat back, Kala UBass, Yita bow and AI combo.
9. TPJ. Duke ply strung with steels and a cheapo hybrid strung with Velvet Animas. Homemade "hang your bow from your pocket" device
10. AndyBass [?]. Left handed Duke or Strunal 50/4
11. invicta59 [?]. Zeller Bass, K&K pickup, GK amp and Fearless F112. Maybe also Tricky Audio 'Greenboy' cabs, and possibly a Tricky Audio builder (Guy)

Edited by bluejay, 13 August 2016 - 03:14 PM.

#88 owen

Low achiever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

Anyone brining anything to sell? If so it might help to flag it up here.

Feedback

#89 DanOwens

Still play a bit of synth bass but trying new stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:19 PM

I'd like to attend. I can bring my mid-60s fully carved 3/4 Reghin.

#90 TheGreek

..Seeking enlightenment..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,088 posts
  • Interests:...Winning or Inheriting a lot of money...

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

A few ideas....

Did anybody contact Valentin to see if he was interested in attending? He makes some really interesting instruments which some of you might want to try.

https://www.facebook.com/fortevio

Inviting Dave Swift might have drawn a few more - he's keen to support this forum and the events we put on - it may not be too late to contact him (I'm on LinkedIn with him which also has his FB address).

I value everybody's opinion...especially when it's the same as mine

For Sale:

http://basschat.co.u...iot-headscombo/

http://basschat.co.u...500-with-cover/

See what others have to say: http://basschat.co.u...k-for-thegreek/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users