Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Bash Derby Oct 2nd

Owen

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1470399416' post='3105742']
Updated list - feel free to amend if I've left out any info! :)

1. Bassace. Bryant Solo DB, Felix preamp, Puma 500 amp, OneTen cab.
2. Happy Jack (TBC). Andreas Zeller DB and a KK BabyBass (plus, if I'm feeling mischievous, a Takamine TB20)
3. Bluejay (TBC). Cameras and video equipment
4. Owen. Late 19C Saxony DB with new 5 string neck,TC preamp/Berg IP310 or whatever I have by then. You know how it is. Howlett 5 string bass Uke. NS5 string EUB.German Carbon bow.
5. Neilp. 19th century unlabelled German bass, Meghan; it has acquired a beautiful Pete Barnaby mechanical C extension, and I've bought a Smooth hound wireless rig.
6. StingrayPete1977. Gedo DB half carved and stagg eub both with Spiro weichs. Yita carbon bow.
7. TheRev. East German ply workhorse with Krivo magnetic pickup, EA Doubler amp, Fishman Platinum Analogue pre and BigE/MAS45 double bass cab; I can also bring my other preamps (Fishman Plat Pro and Fdeck series 3) if anyone wants me to.
8. Sarah Thomas. German flat back, Kala UBass, Yita bow and AI combo.
[/quote]

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1470399416' post='3105742']
Updated list - feel free to amend if I've left out any info! :)

1. Bassace. Bryant Solo DB, Felix preamp, Puma 500 amp, OneTen cab.
2. Happy Jack (TBC). Andreas Zeller DB and a KK BabyBass (plus, if I'm feeling mischievous, a Takamine TB20)
3. Bluejay (TBC). Cameras and video equipment
4. Owen. Late 19C Saxony DB with new 5 string neck,TC preamp/Berg IP310 or whatever I have by then. You know how it is. Howlett 5 string bass Uke. NS5 string EUB.German Carbon bow.
5. Neilp. 19th century unlabelled German bass, Meghan; it has acquired a beautiful Pete Barnaby mechanical C extension, and I've bought a Smooth hound wireless rig.
6. StingrayPete1977. Gedo DB half carved and stagg eub both with Spiro weichs. Yita carbon bow.
7. TheRev. East German ply workhorse with Krivo magnetic pickup, EA Doubler amp, Fishman Platinum Analogue pre and BigE/MAS45 double bass cab; I can also bring my other preamps (Fishman Plat Pro and Fdeck series 3) if anyone wants me to.
8. Sarah Thomas. German flat back, Kala UBass, Yita bow and AI combo.
[/quote]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1470401899' post='3105763']
Does that mean that there are sixteen people attending, or eight people attending twice?

:)
[/quote]

I will be not attending twice Jack if that helps!

Bassace/Owen, go for it and make it a good event. Frankly you should be canvassing, an event like this needs a snowball effect. You don't need to use the Inner Sanctum (looks like your memberships have expired anyway), just PM a few likely folks and get them to indicate their attendance and therefore get some momentum and more interest, leading to more momentum and more interest. I've been keeping an eye on this thread since April, and it's plodded along like a Coldplay b-side. Given that many people will have to commit the whole day, and will need to book it in advance with wives, bands, work etc, you need to get onto it chaps.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470392484' post='3105667']
You've already said you don't want to talk about preamps or anything else for that matter so what are you proposing, walk around in silence trying each others basses then leave?
[/quote]

And frankly why not, I'd be happy anyone else to do the same? Also, I've three DBs and a very interesting EUB, plus about 15 pre-amps I could have brought for others to try, adding to the whole thing. I don't see why my reasons for attending are somehow flawed because they're not yours?

If you want to walk round in silence trying people's basses, come and do it. I certainly wouldn't want to stop you, and nor I suspect would anyone else. If you don't want to come, don't come, but why try to rubbish the whole thing. I'm busy, I've got classical gigs and electric bass gigs to prepare and practice for, but I regard this sort of get-together as part of the fun of being a bass player, even if it's not going to revolve around my needs. I'm driving from West Sussex to do it, and I'm looking forward to it

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1470403648' post='3105784']

And frankly why not, I'd be happy anyone else to do the same? Also, I've three DBs and a very interesting EUB, plus about 15 pre-amps I could have brought for others to try, adding to the whole thing. I don't see why my reasons for attending are somehow flawed because they're not yours?
[/quote]

I'm not saying you need to chat for hours in minute detail, but I think at least an exchange of friendliness would be polite before grabbing an expensive bass before playing it.

I find this whole situation strange right from your first arsey post I've quoted and quoted from already,why do you feel so special that you needed to be privately consulted about this bash?

It's been in the db section for ages as an open discussion regarding plans different to last time before dates were confirmed.

Telling us what you would of brought with you is frankly, childish.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1470407490' post='3105816']
If you want to walk round in silence trying people's basses, come and do it. I certainly wouldn't want to stop you, and nor I suspect would anyone else. If you don't want to come, don't come, but why try to rubbish the whole thing. I'm busy, I've got classical gigs and electric bass gigs to prepare and practice for, but I regard this sort of get-together as part of the fun of being a bass player, even if it's not going to revolve around my needs. I'm driving from West Sussex to do it, and I'm looking forward to it
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470408735' post='3105834']
I'm not saying you need to chat for hours in minute detail, but I think at least an exchange of friendliness would be polite before grabbing an expensive bass before playing it.

I find this whole situation strange right from your first arsey post I've quoted and quoted from already,why do you feel so special that you needed to be privately consulted about this bash?

It's been in the db section for ages as an open discussion regarding plans different to last time before dates were confirmed.

Telling us what you would of brought with you is frankly, childish.
[/quote]

Guys, I've not really 'rubbished' this event or wanted to be 'treated specially' (and any of you who've actually met me know that I certainly would not be walking around silently, which by the way was your suggestion Pete, not mine), I simply stated that, like many others apparently, I would need a bit more reassurance about the quality of this event if I were to make the effort of a whole day's journey. And, thanks, I now have all the reassurance I need.

Apologies of my apparent rudeness put noses out of joint, I suspect they were waiting to be.

Chris

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470410980' post='3105854']
I've no idea how we got here, shame.
[/quote]

Likewise Pete, my apologies if I've caused offence, it was really not my intention, but to be really honest, I've got no real idea why people have reacted the way they have to what was a very simple statement of fact from my POV (frankly had the PM this morning been a little more constructive we probably wouldn't be here but c'est la vie).

C

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470416493' post='3105900']
I think this is the problem with talking online, it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick, you should come along too the bash and eat sandwiches, drink coffee and look at bass stuff :)
[/quote]

Agreed, if I can make it I will Pete. There's a couple of characters from down this way I was planning to drive up, so I feel I'd be letting them down if I didn't to be honest. I will however spend the entire day in silent contemplation of double basses and will scowl at anyone using any form of amplification :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470386009' post='3105597']
It would be nice to see a few more names on the list and a few more basses that I agree with, I'd like to see more people who want an introduction to upright to come along too.
[/quote]

I was thinking it's not too far from home. An introduction to the instrument would be of great interest although it is not one that I plan to take up for the foreseeable. It is just that as one who only plays EB I feel I should absorb some of the DB culture to round me off a bit.

I'll have a better idea nearer the time as to whether I shall attend and will add my name if so decided.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470380251' post='3105538']
It was NOTHING like a regular electric bass bash last time, I played every bass there if anyone can find the picture of the group shot you will see how many basses there were, more than anywhere I've visited so far that's for sure.
[/quote]

[attachment=225150:IMG_1565.JPG]

Hows that then Pete :)

It was a brilliant day , I really enjoyed it. My DB hasn't progressed at all since the event , but that is not the fault of the event :blush:

It is well worth attending even just to meet those offering up their help and advice. Lovely people, some great stories, a good venue that looked after us, some great showmanship , superb instruments to get a feel of and Owens DB in leopard skin pyjamas , what is not to like ?

and having said that , I think SWMBO has family plans over that weekend with birthdays etc , so I think I will struggle to attend but if anyone has the slightest leanings or interest in DB, I would wholeheartedly recommend attending without hesitation.