Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Bash Derby Oct 2nd

Owen

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1470704202' post='3107835']
I'm happy to do a bit on bowing in general,and specifically French bow, although I have played with a German bow and still have a couple somewhere
[/quote]

You are booked.

it might help if there are any specific issues anyone wants to cover, maybe you could post them here so I can have a look for exercises/studies etc and have a think pre-bash? I can do a general thing, but with a small select group we might accomplish more if we're specific?

That would be great, Andy! An absolute first! Happy to try at either of your DBs if you can make it, simply take the one that's more convenient. Should I end up owning a lefty DB in the future, I would probably go for the softest gut-like strings available, given my small, not very strong hands; then again, my uprights are strung with steels, so for the bash, either type would do. :)

Hi, could you please add me to the list? I'll be bringing a Duke ply strung with steels and a cheapo hybrid strung with Velvet Animas. I may even bring my inovative homemade "hang your bow from your pocket" device if there is any interest :)

Updated list!

1. Bassace. Bryant Solo DB, Felix preamp, Puma 500 amp, OneTen cab. Some 'fix your pickup jack to the tailpiece' devices
2. Happy Jack (TBC). Andreas Zeller DB and a KK BabyBass (plus, if I'm feeling mischievous, a Takamine TB20)
3. Bluejay (TBC). Cameras and video equipment
4. Owen. Late 19C Saxony DB with new 5 string neck,TC preamp/Berg IP310 or whatever I have by then. You know how it is. Howlett 5 string bass Uke. NS5 string EUB.German Carbon bow.
5. Neilp. 19th century unlabelled German bass, Meghan; it has acquired a beautiful Pete Barnaby mechanical C extension, and I've bought a Smooth hound wireless rig.
6. StingrayPete1977. Gedo DB half carved and stagg eub both with Spiro weichs. Yita carbon bow.
7. TheRev. East German ply workhorse with Krivo magnetic pickup, EA Doubler amp, Fishman Platinum Analogue pre and BigE/MAS45 double bass cab; I can also bring my other preamps (Fishman Plat Pro and Fdeck series 3) if anyone wants me to.
8. Sarah Thomas. German flat back, Kala UBass, Yita bow and AI combo.
9. TPJ. Duke ply strung with steels and a cheapo hybrid strung with Velvet Animas. Homemade "hang your bow from your pocket" device
10. AndyBass [?]. Left handed Duke or Strunal 50/4

Another updated list :)

1. Bassace. Bryant Solo DB, Felix preamp, Puma 500 amp, OneTen cab. Some 'fix your pickup jack to the tailpiece' devices
2. Happy Jack (TBC). Andreas Zeller DB and a KK BabyBass (plus, if I'm feeling mischievous, a Takamine TB20)
3. Bluejay (TBC). Cameras and video equipment
4. Owen. Late 19C Saxony DB with new 5 string neck,TC preamp/Berg IP310 or whatever I have by then. You know how it is. Howlett 5 string bass Uke. NS5 string EUB.German Carbon bow.
5. Neilp. 19th century unlabelled German bass, Meghan; it has acquired a beautiful Pete Barnaby mechanical C extension, and I've bought a Smooth hound wireless rig.
6. StingrayPete1977. Gedo DB half carved and stagg eub both with Spiro weichs. Yita carbon bow.
7. TheRev. East German ply workhorse with Krivo magnetic pickup, EA Doubler amp, Fishman Platinum Analogue pre and BigE/MAS45 double bass cab; I can also bring my other preamps (Fishman Plat Pro and Fdeck series 3) if anyone wants me to.
8. Sarah Thomas. German flat back, Kala UBass, Yita bow and AI combo.
9. TPJ. Duke ply strung with steels and a cheapo hybrid strung with Velvet Animas. Homemade "hang your bow from your pocket" device
10. AndyBass [?]. Left handed Duke or Strunal 50/4
11. invicta59 [?]. Zeller Bass, K&K pickup, GK amp and Fearless F112. Maybe also Tricky Audio 'Greenboy' cabs, and possibly a Tricky Audio builder (Guy)

Edited by bluejay

• 3 weeks later...

A few ideas....

Did anybody contact Valentin to see if he was interested in attending? He makes some really interesting instruments which some of you might want to try.

https://www.facebook.com/fortevio

Inviting Dave Swift might have drawn a few more - he's keen to support this forum and the events we put on - it may not be too late to contact him (I'm on LinkedIn with him which also has his FB address).

I have marked my calendar. I'd like to see what you lot are like!

Heeheehee, seriously though, would I be out of place bringing an electric fretless guitar? I was thinking the double bassists may have some pointers on techniques that translate across.

Vantage and Ashdown combo.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1472565394' post='3122151']
Argh! I am no longer able to attend the DBB because I will be celebrating my brother in law's 50th. Ah well, swings and roundabouts and all that. Please post some pictures and tell me all about it.. I will be mostly drinking gin.
[/quote]

This is a very poor show.

Hi, Id love to attend and have a nosey? happy to bring my cheap as chips Thomann along, with some entry level combis and all set up for slapabilly if that might interest peeps? Havent been playing for long so can share experiences with any other noobs?? Pencil me in and I'll sort logistics??

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]FB: demhowlinbones [/font][/size]

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1472719642' post='3123551']
I know! A few years back, I decided that having some simple, clear priorities would help in these situations. They are these: 1 Family. 2 Friends. 3 Music. 4 Work. So that's that. Family first.
[/quote]

Ho hum :( But priorities in the right place. Cannot fault them.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1472731672' post='3123726']

Ho hum :( But priorities in the right place. Cannot fault them.
[/quote]
Cheers, Owen. I'm more than happy to send my tenner to support the event and gutted that I won't get to try the KK baby bass or the mega pound bow. And most gutted that I won't get to spend the day with all you lovely people. Can't have everything, hey?