Why become a member? ×

birthday dilemma

Joebethell

So I have had a little cash for my birthday and I'm torn between a couple of options from the big F. The first is the 2015/16 postmodern Pbass from the custom shop the spec sounds great and from trying a couple of other custom shops the tone seems to go up a notch with them. The main selling point for me of this is the Jazz width neck. The second option is a Pbass 59 reissue from 1983 which is a YOB now the only thing with this is the nut width will be along the 1.7" wide.

So the dilemma comes from a YOB bass which will have a special meaning but I know from trying another later version the neck width will take some getting used to for my little digits (not unplayable but the bass I tried not the one for sale sounded and played really nicely apart from the width at the nut) or a Pbass that should sound and play great with a nut width I'm used to but with no YOB specialness.

Edited by Joebethell

Both expensive Basses. Having a YOB bass is special, but if you know you ain't love it 100% due to the nut width, I really wouldn't bother.

When I made a recent trip to the Gallery, it was to try out 2 specific 70's Jazz Basses they had. One was a '75 (YOB for me) and one was a '77. Both in natural finishes with maple fingerboards and white blocks & binding. Obviously I hoped the '75 was going to suit me due it being a YOB, which it did and it was the one I bought, but I wouldn't have hesitated to go with the '77 if that one was the one that had the 'x' factor I was looking for...

Cheers I think I could get on with the nut width if I got used to or if the neck is thinner then the width would be less of an issue but it's hard to say until you pick up the bass in question! It's a lot of money to risk I know I'm going to struggle to get to play both basses as they are both far away so it's going to be a call to decide which one to go try and possibly purchase.

Edited by Joebethell

I'm going to be 40 later this year. I really fancied a yob precision but decided instead to get a 76 copy made by limelight. Gets me a kind of yob bass but made to my preferred spec. May be worth considering something like that?

The thing about the 1.7" wide Precision necks is that - or at least the ones I`ve played - they are usually quite shallow, so still easy enough to play. So I`d def try the 83 out, you may find it much easier to get on with than expected.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1461176273' post='3032232']
My view?... I think you'd be mad to buy a bass you think won't suit you, just because of the year you were born. Just my thought.

Others will no doubt, disagree.

Frank.
[/quote]

I agree completely.
I have never understood this year of birth bass thing.

If the idea of a YOB bass really floats your boat, do it. You can always have the neck slimmed down if it's not quite right for you, after all, it's only wood and little metal. This assumes that you'll be keeping it of course, not that it would devalue the instrument by much (if done well) as we're not talking pre-CBS.