Why become a member? ×

Broken down Yamaha EMX 312 PA mixer amp

mybass

Bad news on my Yamaha EMX 312 PA powered mixer amp. It suddenly switched off at sound check though had tested fine the day before, (luckily the band had a spare amp).
The cost of repair for the internal power board/supply is far higher than buying the same new Yamaha amplifier off the high street at £320! Repair man says he isn't able to buy direct off Yamaha, ( it s a Yamaha thing!). I guess most of this type of powered mixer amp are built along the same lines, Yamaha's apparently have a weird internal earthing that allows power through only when the unit is completely assembled (sounds safe) as my repairman found on a previous Yamaha job.
Anyone had this particular amp problem and resolved it?

I Don't know about that particular mixer but I regularly contact yamaha for spares and they are very helpful and their parts and shipping prices are reasonable. I have done this as trade and none trade so unless something has changed in their policies it sounds like your repair man doesn't want the work.

You can reach them on the phone at 08448111116 I think you should ask them a. About other repair places, b. If they will repair and c. Cost of new board.

[quote name='mikeydee' timestamp='1461176408' post='3032233']
I Don't know about that particular mixer but I regularly contact yamaha for spares and they are very helpful and their parts and shipping prices are reasonable. I have done this as trade and none trade so unless something has changed in their policies it sounds like your repair man doesn't want the work.

You can reach them on the phone at 08448111116 I think you should ask them a. About other repair places, b. If they will repair and c. Cost of new board.
[/quote]
Thanks mikeydee, much appreciated, I may just call them tomorrow.

Edited by mybass

[quote name='mikeydee' timestamp='1461176408' post='3032233']

[/quote]

I called Yamaha...they won't deal directly with 'callers' so I wondered how where you able to deal direct with them? They have provided me with a contact number to a company called Sontec who sell Yamaha parts, however,I've now called and requested twice for parts pricing but they haven't sent the promised information.

Edited by mybass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mybass' timestamp='1461158841' post='3031975']
Bad news on my Yamaha EMX 312 PA powered mixer amp. It suddenly switched off at sound check though had tested fine the day before, (luckily the band had a spare amp).
The cost of repair for the internal power board/supply is far higher than buying the same new Yamaha amplifier off the high street at £320! Repair man says he isn't able to buy direct off Yamaha, ( it s a Yamaha thing!). I guess most of this type of powered mixer amp are built along the same lines, Yamaha's apparently have a weird internal earthing that allows power through only when the unit is completely assembled (sounds safe) as my repairman found on a previous Yamaha job.
Anyone had this particular amp problem and resolved it?
[/quote]

Spare parts and repair man's time can quickly get expensive! An experienced repair may be able to repair to component level rather than replace whole boards depending upon what's gone wrong.
I've just been mending a Yamaha EMX5000 - yes they do have a complex earthing arrangement but that can be got round for testing - an experienced repairer should be able to sort that out. You do have to be very careful with them as they have switched mode power supplies which carry high voltages. I'd ask another repairer for an opinion.

[quote name='thinman' timestamp='1462217347' post='3041232']
Spare parts and repair man's time can quickly get expensive! An experienced repair may be able to repair to component level rather than replace whole boards depending upon what's gone wrong.
I've just been mending a Yamaha EMX5000 - yes they do have a complex earthing arrangement but that can be got round for testing - an experienced repairer should be able to sort that out. You do have to be very careful with them as they have switched mode power supplies which carry high voltages. I'd ask another repairer for an opinion.
[/quote]
thanks thinman...I found a yamaha spares supplier, the power board is £85. I have another repair man/amp builder who I may also see about it.