[*]Owned by famous musician but not particularly associated with him - check
[*]Completely irrelevant mention of famous band - check
[*]Ludicrously inflated price - double check with bells on
[/list]
What's not to like?

:lol:
[/quote]

You forgot to add:

Awful slightly fuzzy/out of focus mobile phone quality photography that would not inspire a hefty purchase - check

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461162231' post='3032023']
The listing is entitled

[color=#333333]EX PINO PALLADINO FENDER JAZZ BASS STACK KNOB - 1961 -VINTAGE FENDER BASS - WHO[/color]

I'm pretty sure The Who qualify as a "famous band" to most bass players ...
[/quote]

Unless the shop doesn't know who he and are enquiring. "Pino Palladino - who?".

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1461235579' post='3032679']
It's London + vintage + big name bass player = stupidly expensive....

[/quote]

Yep. Pino is of course an excellent player, but this is stupidly expensive.
What I can't get over, is that not so long ago, Norman Watt-Roy flogged his '62 Jazz - And I think he only got just over £3K for it. Astounding that a rather notable bass, from such a great player sold for, comparatively so little.....

Mind you, I can't spend £3K on a bass ;)

Edited by Marc S

I'm probably being a bit dense... but what are those great big screws on the front of the bass between the bridge and pickup?

Also by "seamless repair" do they mean that big blob of red paint on he back with some glued in wood behind it?

As I understand it (and my understanding of vintage guitar collectibles is not great) but generally vintage basses are nowhere near as collectible as vintage guitars. So it's not unusual to see vintage Strats etc going for 4 + times more than an equivalent era Fender bass ....... I guess this simply reflects the respective value of guitarists v bassists ....... cough cough no that was a mere jest - I suspect it reflects the difference in demand. THAT IS EXCEPT the stack knob Jazz bass is the only bass generally on a par with the most sought after guitars, collectibility wise.

So that's why pristine ones are £20k and this 'distressed'/'well worn' one is the price it is - plus it's said to have been owned by one of the most iconic bassists of the last three + decades.

No I don't get it either - in fact I'd much rather buy a new bass as, like with a new car, I love the feel, smell, notion of a brand new item - plus I tend to not buy makes where its alleged you need to try 25 before you find 'the one', be it cars, basses or anything else - come to think of it only shopping with women (who all seem to want to try 25 items in different shops before buying the first one they looked at) seems to be on a par with the established method published by some for buying some types of musical instrument. I certainly didn't buy 25 Golf GTIs before I found 'the one' either - I may have changed my mind on the colour suitability for example after a time but that was me changing my mind rather than anything to do with the car.

Going back to what I said - yes I can see why it's the price it is - but no I don't get it either!!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1461254749' post='3032969']
I'm probably being a bit dense... but what are those great big screws on the front of the bass between the bridge and pickup?
[/quote]

They're where the mutes would have been attached originally, and someone has put those screws in to cover up the holes.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1461181029' post='3032292']
Clive is a bit of a hero in the vintage world. He calls his work 'restorations' rather than refinished. Some of his work is simply outstanding. This is not the best example to be fair, but then it did have a huge chunk taken out of it ;)
[/quote]

I wasn`t meaning to run down Clive`s work. I have seen some photos of his work and it`s top notch. I was just trying to work out what bit of the bass he had worked on seeing as it is a bit of a state. Sorry, full of Mojo :rolleyes: It must be the battery box repair.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1461268272' post='3033232']

I wasn`t meaning to run down Clive`s work. I have seen some photos of his work and it`s top notch. I was just trying to work out what bit of the bass he had worked on seeing as it is a bit of a state. Sorry, full of Mojo :rolleyes: It must be the battery box repair.
[/quote]

Didn't think you did mate :)

I thought that perhaps to some the name Clive Brown may mean the to them the same as Joe Bloggs, that's all ;)

Edited by Chiliwailer

Don't really understand the attraction of owning a bass that was previously owned by a well-known bass player. It's not as if any of his ability or expertise resides in the instrument and will somehow rub off on the new owner, is it? In fact in my case, every time I picked the bass up to play it I'd be reminded of the fact that the previous owner is more talented and more successful than I'll ever be and obviously didn't want this particular bass anyway because he sold it!

'Enjoy playing your crappy yet expensive Pino cast-off, you talentless fecking loser-nonentity!!'

...Would be the words going through my head. So not for me, thanks. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461269834' post='3033260']
Don't really understand the attraction of owning a bass that was previously owned by a well-known bass player. It's not as if any of his ability or expertise resides in the instrument and will somehow rub off on the new owner, is it? In fact in my case, every time I picked the bass up to play it I'd be reminded of the fact that the previous owner is more talented and more successful than I'll ever be and obviously didn't want this particular bass anyway because he sold it!

'Enjoy playing your crappy yet expensive Pino cast-off, you talentless fecking loser-nonentity!!'

...Would be the words going through my head. So not for me, thanks. :)
[/quote]

Haha! Me too for sure.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1461268062' post='3033230']

They're where the mutes would have been attached originally, and someone has put those screws in to cover up the holes.
[/quote]

Yeah, I thought about mutes. It's just I've never seen anyone do anything quite so awful looking to disguise some inconspicuous little holes before. Just dim!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1461278559' post='3033375']
It's just I've never seen anyone do anything quite so awful looking to disguise some inconspicuous little holes before. Just dim!
[/quote]

Those look like the original screws and washers that would have held the mutes in place. Not saying they are the originals, they just look like them. The whole mute assembly would have been covered by the large bridge ashtray.

This arrangement was a pain in the arse and expensive to produce, so Fender scrapped it and reverted to sticking a cheap length of rubber weather-strip under the ashtray instead. The felt mute system had disappeared by 1964.

Edited by discreet

The celebrity owned thing is interesting. I spoke with one guitar dealer who soar even if a guitar has been celebrity owned, he won't talk about it or list it, preferring to sell the guitar on its own merits. When I asked why he told me a funny, if slightly sad, story about a friend who had invested a load of their savings in Rolf Harris artwork.

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1461387851' post='3034195']
The celebrity owned thing is interesting. I spoke with one guitar dealer who soar even if a guitar has been celebrity owned, he won't talk about it or list it, preferring to sell the guitar on its own merits. When I asked why he told me a funny, if slightly sad, story about a friend who had invested a load of their savings in Rolf Harris artwork.
[/quote]

The value of my Gary Glitter album plummeted a few years ago.

Off on a tangent, Ms emg is off to see Paul Young next month in Southampton so we've had his old stuff out. Loving that synthy octave bass on Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down.
Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTWt_pKiMl4
which bass?

Edited by spectoremg

The wear on it is extraordinary and a bit fake-looking. It looks like someone's done a tour wearing a sandpaper suit then tried to use the bass to chop logs. Do basses really end up looking like that just from playing them?

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1461522721' post='3035399']
The wear on it is extraordinary and a bit fake-looking. It looks like someone's done a tour wearing a sandpaper suit then tried to use the bass to chop logs. Do basses really end up looking like that just from playing them?
[/quote]

Go check out Bobby Vega's stack knob Jazz bass...

I can't understand all the fuss. The sort of people this pricing is aimed at won't be agonising over the details like us poor impoverished bassists or trying to justify anything. It probably costs less than their weekly restaurant bill - not that they actually know because one of their 'people' would deal with such trivia. What shall we moan about next . . . the cost of private jet leasing, mega yacht berthing fees, maintenance costs of private Carribean Islands?